Ainsley Maitland-Niles

I think if Big Sam felt he could make it at Arsenal he would have said…he isn’t good enough for us and Big Sam knows it.

1 Like

He probably can, in the championship.

I’m wondering if as he says AMN pushed for that move is this why it’s taken till yesterday nonsense and today to sort it out. Nine sub rule gives managers free licence to justify keeping players now.
I don’t see anything changing for the player here.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what he was doing and I didn’t think he was particular subtle about it either especially with the “he’s a great lad though,” at the end.

I actually think AMN is destined to be a CM and don’t think he’s strong at fullback at all but I have to imagine that Allardyce has seen enough of him to know whether he’ll make it or not at the top level and that didn’t sound too convincing. Bit of a shit question, not like he can be answer freely without hurting a young players confidence.

5 Likes

So it seems he is still here ? Pretty surprised I got that one wrong, thought he’d depart one way or another right on the deadline.

Don’t feel bad Aussie, trying to predict what this club is trying to do is akin to throwing a dice.

5 Likes

Wasn’t it public knowledge that he went to WBA so that he could play in midfield and get regular game time?

We all know that’s his preferred position but did he ever refuse to play full back for Arsenal?

Do we think he would complain if he was a regular starter(at any position really) rather than being a 24 year old glorified utility man filling in at RB/LB when the main guys are out.

7 Likes

But he’s not good enough to be a starter.

We should’ve just taken the 20m last year ffs.

1 Like

That’s precisely his point. Arteta doesn’t rate him enough to be a starter and he doesn’t want to rot on the bench for another season.

Should’ve convinced Everton to pay up rather than offer a loan then I guess.

Ainsley has enough about him to be a midfielder for a PL team in lower rungs but he should have began that journey 2 season prior.
Next season he will be 25 year old and very few clubs will invest in a 25 year old with wages to experiment.

2 Likes

So this fell through right?

1 Like

Loan still an option, but we are fekin thin in midfield and AFCON makes it worse. Keeping him - even if its against his will is probably the solution :arteta:

Arteta and Edu are innocent until proven guilty, it’s simply AMN’s word against theirs. Full backs who want to play CM are also known to lie to try to get played in their correct position. Really should be a lesson to any of us men not wanting to play as defenders.

3 Likes

Cant blame him. I have played RB all my career and its such a boring position to play. You are making the standard backpass to your CB 80% of the time.

2 Likes

As a centre back who only occcasionally played right back, I couldn’t disagree more.

Every time I played right back I’d get the odd opportunity to maraude up the wing and it was like

Going-on-adventure-text

4 Likes

Its sad but fullbacks are often the shitty players on the team. Nobody grows up dreaming about playing fullback.
I played RB in a very defensive team and in a whole match i would maybe cross the halfway line 3 or 4 times. But hey “football is fun”

1 Like

Tbf the reason I wasn’t allowed to play RB more was probably cos I kept trying to be Cafu when my Brexit manager wanted Neville.

3 Likes

Funny innit…I played in goal for many many years, played in a very good team that won several leagues, many cups, and even a five a side tourny, and I LOVED every minute of it…
I didn’t get the glory, as we had some excellent players in attack who scored loads of goals…I played behind a fabulous defence, with two AWESOME centre halves, but I was still voted in a best keeper in the league for eight years running, and keepers are always meant to be the “mental one”…but I wish I was still playing…God, I miss playing football…

4 Likes

Used to play 6/7 aside a lot and hated having to play wingback as I’m naturally a winger/striker so defending is not my strong point. The wise words that were given to me every match by my team mates still stick with me to this day almost two years on. “For fuck sake fucking tackle him why are you letting go by you like that” :rofl::joy:

1 Like