Aaron Ramsey

Maybe a solution for Özil and Ramsey could be Özil going on the left in the big games with Ramsey and Torreira as a central pair with someone like Elneny or Xhaka at the base of midfield.

(Main focus here being Ramsey and Özil’s position, rest you can chop and change around)

I feel we’re better suited to a 4-3-3 system than a 4-2-3-1. Vast majority of the top sides have been sticking with it as well.

Ramsey is a genuine goal threat in a set up like this tbh and Özil’s movement and link up from the left has always been good.

3 Likes

Wasn’t worth the gamble / power play to keep him into the final year of his contract. Should have flogged him in the summer if we couldn’t agree on an extension.

He’s clearly holding out for a big salary and I personally don’t want us to pay him £200k/w, he’s not worth that all things considered.

Sadly we"re going to miss out on another £30m which could have gone into strengthening the squad. Now we’re just going to lose an asset and get nothing in return.

4 Likes

I always have these thoughts too when I play around with a fantasy lineup and formation and it ultimately leaves me frustrated how we simply can’t have a system to allow us to play our best players in their best positions.

Now where’s that rubix cube…

for such a big club supposedly trying to be the best we have been absolutely piss poor with this sort of thing i mean ffs not even bournemouth is as stupid and careless with contracts than we are it is fucking shambolic. Whoever that is responsible for this on top of wenger maybe it was that stupid piece of dross that went out of the door (cant remember his name) but others should follow him, it is criminal for a club with the standing of arsenal to be so fucking careless. Once in a blue moon there being a fuck up you can maybe understand but CONSTANTLY, nah mate whoever that is responsible for this shambles should be kicked out the fucking door because they are fucking shit at their job.

I feel like people keep saying we should have sold Ramsey in the summer with no consideration of whether or not there was a market for him. I can’t think of many teams who needed Ramsey enough to pay for him when he’d be free in a year’s time. I doubt anyone abroad wants him, and nobody in England will view him as being a key player to the extent that they’d fork out for him imo

5 Likes

Exactly. I think the club might get him for the amount they want or even less tbh if they play this right, no reason to lament letting him run his contract down .

Problem is Ramsey doesnt see himself as a Milner. And while i would like him to be our Milner, he would never accept that and therefore cause problems off the pitch. If he was as talented as his ego is big we would have some player at our hands.

2 Likes

Don’t you remember a certain goal he scored in the EL? Pure shop front business.

You’re right though, I’m not sure how much interest there is outside of the PL. Chelsea don’t strike me as needing a CM, neither does Man City. Maybe United but things seem way too toxic over there right now.

I think again we might be holding the stronger bargaining chip. We didn’t give into Wilshere and there’s no reason to give into Ramsey.

1 Like

Fair point, but I guess I should have altered my previous post to say we should have tried flogging him when he had 18-24 months left (and I’m sure we would have approached him about his contract by this point i.e. we would have known him extending was not going to be straightforward).

At the point it became clear that he was playing hardball on extending, that’s the point at which you have to start considering the sell option. We consistently find ourselves in a situation where we are in danger of losing players for nothing. That’s the bit that pisses me off. I can’t recall when Chelsea bought Drinkwater, or if Liverpool would have preferred Ramsey to Ox, but there was scope for a midfielder like Ramsey to be bought. I feel like his stock was also higher a season ago (winning goal against Chelsea in FA Cup, memory of his Euros performances for Wales etc.).

Liverpool spent 100m on two CM
Chelsea signed 2 CM
United Signed Fred and renewed Fellaini
City went all in to sign Jorgeinho

Ramsey is not a CM.

2 Likes

And yet there’s absolutely zero indication that anybody tried to sign Ramsey. Feels to me like you’ve just gone ahead and helped me make my point, so thanks

2 Likes

Finally, a poster who can think.

Let’s not jump to conclusions yet.

2 Likes

But he Aint a CM though. He is more like a CF/ST/CAM-hybrid. In other words, a poor mans Thomas Myller.

I was just trying to be funny about the ability to think. Nevermind.

Good, but the Ramsey situation aint a joke. We are about to hand one of the most average players a 250 a week contract.

1 Like

Not gonna happen imo. Ozil’s contract was a one time situation and even though it was a mistake, it was sort of inevitable and not one we are going to repeat. And in his case I don’t think the situation was ever such that Ozil was unhappy with what the club was ready to offer him, it was more up to him to make his mind up. With Ramsey I feel the club are obviously not looking to succumb to his demands. This whole situation is a result of a very long period of bad transfer policy. We are maybe going to have to suffer for a little bit in cases where we will have to let assets like Ramsey walk on a free but if that is the price, then fine, let’s pay it.

1 Like

I think the manager change and backroom change coicided with Ramsey’s contract situation causing it to be a bit of a mess. We may have already sorted it otherwise but it’s hard to say for sure.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t think Unai is as big a fan of Ramsey as Wenger was which is why all this delay. If it were up to Arsene, I think the Ramsey situation would have been done and dusted.