Aaron Ramsey

But an up and coming winger will cost £30-50m and maybe 100k a week. Which over 4 years is more than 200k a week

That’s why Ramsey should have been sold in summer

1 Like

Would lean towards this thinking if Wenger was still in charge but I feel we’re better at identifying value and good deals in the market now under Sven. There is plenty of talent at CM at reasonable prices.

If we feel the need to overpay Ramsey, this club has not moved on from Wenger at all

3 Likes

Thanks for the two FA Cup final winners. bye👋

I fell into this trap before, but now I’m not so sure.

There’s a wage structure in place and Ramsey banking £200k+ means its likely that another signing is unable to bank £200k+. We can’t have a squad where all the players, even the unspectacular ones are on £200k+.

The only justification Ramsey has for anything like £200k+ is that Ozil is on £300k or whatever, but by that logic basically everyone that isn’t shit can be asking for that kind of money. Ozil for his faults is at least a legit superstar with loads of Instagram followers etc. so has some marketing potential which might counterbalance some of his salary, but Ramsey isn’t anywhere near that.

Kante and Jorginho for example on a reported £100-110k each when they signed and both are younger, less injury prone (I think?) and arguably more useful than Ramsey.

Ramsey and Ozil in our side got us 6th. If we make them our highest paid players, we’re potentially left relying on lower earners being signed to fill in the gaps and take us forward. Ozil 300k, Ramsey 200k, Auba, Mkhi, Laca somewhere between £140-200k depending on sources, that to me doesn’t leave much room for any more “big” players to come in.

I’m wondering if it’s worth losing Ramsey for a small fee in January and trying to get some luck in the market with new signing rather than get tied down with the same old players for the next 5 years on massive deals.

12 Likes

100%

If anyone bothers their arse submitting a bid.

With higher sell on value and a lower wage bill in coming years.

I think the club think the same now.

Or it was never Wenger who overpaid

2 Likes

I think wages have gone up. If Alexis is on 500k a week and Lacazette and Auba are on 200k and Kola is on 110k or whatever. KDB and Ozil have got 350k deals. Then Ramsey is justified for asking for 200k imo. It’s where the market is now

The market has certainly moved that way, yes. But is Ramsey being on an Auba etc wage justified with his present contribution and qualities? That’s the question

He probably has a higher commercial than Auba and he’s homegrown which overinflates his value.

It was though.

1 Like

It was Wenger.

That’s not an unreasonable argument to be fair. I hadn’t put much consideration to that.

The only way I could personally justify that money for him would be to weigh the contract more on the incentivised side (which obviously adds more complications to the whole negotiations).

I guess Wenger is still handling the contract negotiations and didn’t let executives to sell Ramsey this window

No. That would be silly.

So why are we still doing the contractual fuck ups when Wenger was the one in fault?

but no one can deny either that giving him a new contract on high wages is gonna fuck the club up. How can he want 225k+ and then you not get a problem with other players wanting parity or close to parity because lets face it ramsey aint anything THAT special he doesnt do anythig really in an outstanding way, there are far better attacking players on less far better defensive on less. He is basically a utility player a jack of all trades master of none. Box to box, far better players etc…maybe that is his appeal but also his downfall. With him you cant really identify his place in the squad you cant really say, right you are gonna be XYZ because he isnt really good enough at one set thing for him to be a starter in 1 set position certainly not for the amount he wants, but at the same time he is a handy player to have.

People may disagree with me, but he is our ‘milner’ good at a lot of things but not a top player in any position but is great to have in your team. Now if you were told that Milner wants at least £225k and then liverpool gave it to him you would be say FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING HELL are they nutz milner on 225k a week what does that do for the balance of the squad and you would be right it is bloody stupid, let mancity or manu pay that for that sorta player if they want because they can pay a player £600k a week without blinking they could have every single player in their squad on £1m a week and still get by without much problems…us on the other hand :santi:

Hangover. Will sort itself out soon.