Aaron Ramsey

Good to have confirmation finally. Hopefully bows out as an arsenal player as a Europa League winner

Just wish we hadnā€™t waited until after the transfer deadline had passed before making this decision. If the salary was a problem, they should already have known that in August. It feels like somewhat of a failure to get nothing for a player like that.

I also donā€™t like that weā€™re continuing to uglify Arsenal :pensive:

But what will be, will be.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s fantastic. Too long our players have it easy and itā€™s time for a new stance. We need a winning mentality instilled.

3 Likes

Annoying to lose another player on a free (unless we sell in Jan). I also happen to think heā€™s a good player, but I guess if his wage demands were too much and if he was messing about then we had no choice.

1 Like

Fuck we have wasted some serious transfer funds by running these contracts down :rage:

2 Likes

Ramsey ran the contract down, not us. There was a contract for him to sign, and he didnā€™t.

1 Like

Then you make the call to sell earlier to recoup funds, really isnā€™t rocket science.

Unless the player gave assurances that he would sign, and when the transfer window closed, started trying to force a bigger offer.

Amateur hour from the club tbh, they should have sold in the summer if it was going to come to this. It perfectly fine to take a stand but you do it at this stage?

Hopefully this is the last time it happens, itā€™s not a good look for a club with the stature of Arsenal to be serially losing players like this.

2 Likes

If the club knew him and his agent would play silly buggers, Iā€™m sure he would have been sold already.

The club have already said the running down of contracts is in the past. New team is in place now so this wonā€™t be happening in the future.

Forget verbal assurances when it comes to contracts, the only assurances that mean anything in professional sport are when they sign on the dotted line.

A player can only be sold if he wants to be. Once he saw what Ozil did he was always going to run down

5 Likes

Yeah this is true if a player is that adamant heā€™s going to leave on a free there isnā€™t much you can do, you canā€™t force them to sign a contract at another club. But when circumstances get to that level of negotiation it is a pretty rat effort by the player.

Exactly this. If a player doesnā€™t want to leave, you literally cannot force them. Iā€™ve made a point of saying this a lot.

But what I would add, in fairness, is that we probably have fostered a culture that encourages this kind of behaviour. So Iā€™m very glad weā€™re callingtime on that, even if the cost of doing so is losing out on a decent fee for someone of his quality.

2 Likes

How this so often gets left behind in the discussion absolutely baffles me.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a fucking article. Who, what, where, why, quotes from actual people involvedā€¦ Not bullshit speculation and he-said she-said lies.

If heā€™d truly wanted to leave I think heā€™d have made it happen in the summer. He was always going to try and pull an Ozil once he saw it happen. He went from an overpaid youngster to then being reasonably close to the top earners to then being nowhere near the top earners and he probably didnā€™t like that after so long under Wenger.

It was a strange time to pull a contract offer if we actually wanted him to stay. It was the end of September but I think October / November is pretty standard territory for players to renew deals.

Sven and Columbo rating him lower than Gazidis did is the most obvious conclusion and Iā€™m glad itā€™s been reached.

1 Like

I donā€™t know that Iā€™ll be that sad to see him leave. People talk about him being a great pro and all that but he was working pretty damn hard to spin the narrative regarding his contract.

I wish he would just be honest and say that he was hedging his bets about the new manager. No shame in that, go get paid son. :torreira:

1 Like

it makes me think that they have emile smith rowe ready to take over from him or they have already got a contract sorted out for another player which is coming in next summer.