Aaron Ramsdale (1)

Emi didn’t want a competition. He made it crystal clear that he wanted to be #1 or to leave the club.

So, sure, you always have choices in the abstract. But in practice your choice was a non-starter. The real choice was sell Emi or make Emi #1, put your player of the season from the prior year very unhappily on the bench, and probably not have the funds to but Partey.

1 Like

It’s a team effort.

Maybe it’s bad luck, but maybe it also means we shouldn’t pay 0.6 Ramsdales for a guy with that resume and plan on him being our number one keeper.

I’m not against buying players from sides that got relegated. Everyone talks about how smart Liverpool were to poach Robertson. Maguire got relegated with Hull iirc. There’s value in poaching guys who get relegated. Just not sure a guy who keeps getting relegated is going to suddenly become the keeper who propels us into Europe. Because that’s what the club are saying if we spend 0.6 Ramsdales on him. That he’s the guy. I don’t like it.

1 Like

We are agreeing there was a choice. As I said above, my choice at the time would have been to sell Leno at that juncture. There were other theoretical choices.

Tell me, who else plays for us in this alternate reality? :grin:

Can keep dancing around this, but what you have been saying is regardless of hindsight (and performances last season which go nto overall hindsight) you back the club selling Emi, and for 20m based on what you see as circumstances at the time. Can’t we just leave it that? I don’t think I am misrepresenting your original interjection, am I? It is ok to agree to disagree and leave it at that without snark.

Come on now, I just want to play the make believe game a little. Help me out. :slight_smile:

Martinez is a top GK but it was clear he didn’t want to be second choice.
But after getting 20m for him, the mistake we made was replacing him with Runnarsen, who is completely inadequate at this level.

We then have to trust the people who made that decision to get another GK.
So it’s perfectly acceptable to question their decision to pay 30m for a GK that seems to get the teams he plays for relegated almost every season.

3 Likes

That’s an easy one. Sebastian Frey in goal. M’Villa in midfield. Higuain/Suraez up top in a two.

1 Like

That conversation was unnecessarily painful lol. I wouldn’t have sold emi for 20 mil either, he showed us enough at the end of the season that he could dominate the box vs good teams make good saves and wasn’t weak.

It’s not like we needed the money, we are spending millions whilst being broke currently

1 Like

Iwobi for 35m was fine. It was partly based on that and general trends in fees in the PL for which I saw 20m for Emi as a shockingly low price at the time to be honest, and iirc even some of that was add-ons, and there was no sell-on or buyback clauses to justify a lowish fee either. That’s if we sold Emi, but as I said, I saw him as better than Leno long-term, not just based on ability/potential but also because if we backed him and he did well he likely would be more resistant to approaches from clubs like Bayern/Madrid/Barca because he had some belonging at Arsenal having come up through the youth ranks.

I also think if we have had to sell over the last few seasons to balance the books the club should be fully honest and transparent about that, especially at annual meetings. Another thing that is not hindsight with me though is I wanted Kroenke’s to do a loan to the club last summer, which could have averted need for such a sell, and anyway when we go down that rabbit hole, Arteta could have got 20m for AMN last summer instead of keeping him and not playing him.

5 Likes

What do we reckon about this?
As reported, we’re gonna make third bid for him, 18m plus 7m in add-ons.

I can see us walking away if Sheffield reject this.

Don’t fancy Ramsdale tbh. He’s young and most keepers don’t hit their peak this early, but still, he’s quite error prone everytime I’ve seen him play. Don’t think he’d be an upgrade on Leno in any way. And 18m plus 7 in add ons. A bit too much imo.

5 Likes

Is this the same fucking idiot who recommended us Run Alex Run? If yes, then it’s a no brainer to not do this deal.

17 Likes

That imbecile is going to get Arteta sacked, I’ll probably send him a “thank you” card and a fruit bouquet.

2 Likes

Since when has an Arsenal GK coach got the influence to push us to buy a GK for more than 30m, especially if it’s the same coach that thought Runnarsen was a suitable replacement for Martinez?

Why wouldn’t a first team coach have influence with the manager? It’s not like Arteta is somehow the expert on goalkeeping. It makes sense to lean on the guys you have.

However in this exceptional case, fuck this guy and whatever he says.

2 Likes

It would be absolutely insane to take the word of that GK coach after the Runnarson debacle and the rumors that one of the reasons Leno wants out is because the coach is shit.

2 Likes

Said it before, Inaki is actually very highly rated and was praised by our goalies in the past. Very likely that Emi’s improvement was a result of Inaki’s training.

If Inaki thinks Ramsdale got the tools then I’m all for it.

Is it the same GK coach at Arsenal who apparently loves Ramsdale who also was responsible for pinpointing Runarsson?

3 Likes