Aaron Ramsdale (1)

That’s the problem with todays modern society…Not only am I pissed, and driving, I am also trying to TEXT people to let them know what time I will be home…Feck me, life is tough…

(I am joking btw… :laughing:)

1 Like

Or unless Xhaka did it.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha FFS :joy::joy:

1 Like

Even if we’re just talking about football. It’s still a mistake. It just not a costly mistake. But if he takes the attitude that it wasn’t a mistake because there were no major repercussions then he’s not going to learn from it. So yeah, hopefully he is well aware that it was a mistake and he’ll strive to be more careful next time.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough (or not interesting at all, which it probably isn’t)-

Ramsdale was the opposition keeper in Arteta first game as Arsenal manager.

I wonder if Arteta had him pegged as a future Arsenal keeper from then

6 Likes
2 Likes

Holding, Chambers, Cedric and Kola waiting to hear their name… :gunnersaurus:

12 Likes

To a certain extent BradyMagic was right .
If you look at keepers of the 60’s 70’s and into the 80’s they would catch the ball and not parry it as much as now .
Ramsdales free kick save was fabulous but in my day keepers like Jennings , Wallington , Clemence , Shilton etc would catch a free kick making it look easier .

I just hope Ramsdales not getting too big for his boots and getting cocky . His big test will be at Anfield.

1 Like

It seems like you’re talking about catching vs parrying/punching, feels like that’s a different discussion perhaps, as Brady was talking about which arm a keeper should use to make a save when diving in certain directions.

No one is catching that free kick. Either a parry or a goal.

17 Likes

This is amazing lol

There’s a big difference in material since then. Up until the late 90’s the football itself was easier to catch. Now it’s way more wobbly in the air and more slippery. Today’s material withstand wetness much better too, making the ball travel faster in all conditions. Although gloves haven’t changed dramatically in the past 30 years, the approach today is more about punching then catching.

6 Likes

The conditioning and training of modern keepers is a mile ahead of what we had in the 70’s and 80’s too.

If you put one in a time machine to back then they’d be amazing keepers especially with the less spinny balls they had back then.

4 Likes

I was going to make a similar point but never got round to posting.

That’s because free kicks were easier to catch back then. The footballs they used produced less movement when kicked and so the trajectory of ball was more predictable.

I’d imagine less curlers and more free kicks with power back in the 80s.

2 Likes

Michel Platini might disagree.

1 Like

It depends. How much money does he take for a bribe these days?

1 Like

Just saw his post match interview. This guy is a leader, no questions about it.
Next to be captain for me. Although, I do worry about the effect the armband has had on our players before.

2 Likes

What a performance yesterday from this guy, the only player who excelled against Liverpool. He’s just joined us and has had a few great performances already, if he can keep this up consistently for years he is an absolute gem. Let’s hope he does!

4 Likes
1 Like