2022 World Cup

To be fair to nose picking Löw, he did win the World Cup with Kroos and co. :man_shrugging:t4:

Let’s see if Hansi can do the same

1 Like

Wenger won titles and trophies for Arsenal, people wanted him gone also, right?
Should step down a few years ago.

3 Likes

That’s a fair assessment. As to my mind Wenger overstayed his stay and should have resigned a few seasons sooner. So definitely can find myself in your Löw comparison.

2 Likes

Seamus Coleman has made Ronaldo his bitch all night.

Through to the play offs @Calum ??

2 Likes

Yeah :partying_face:

2 Likes

Woooo go Scotland!!

2 Likes

Absolutely epic, Mustafiesque own goal yesterday by Brozovic.

1 Like

Lol provided the assist too, straight off his own face.

You could do that a thousand times and probably only score once. Magic.

1 Like

Canada v Costa Rica here in Edmonton last night. 50,800 bums in seats, temperature -1, no snow (pretty nice for mid-November). Canada win 1-0 by virtue of a tap-in from a dropped ball howler by the Costa Rica goalie. Local boy Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich) showed well but totally skied two shots from 12 and 20 yards out. Solid enough performance from the home side, but we’ll see how they get on here against Mexico on Tuesday night.

3 Likes

Pretty big win last night for the USA Men in Cincy against Mexico.

It was the first time in years I think the USA were the better side against Mexico. There were chances for Mexico and the keeper made some nice saves but it was a nice performance. Mexico could probably complain about having players missing via injury and suspension but the USA was missing Gio Reyna (Dortmund) who is arguably one of their most important attackers and started with Christian Pulisic (Chelsea’s bench) in reserve.

Also the ref missed a pretty clear sending off when a Mexico defender raked his fingers across a USA player’s face.

I obviously wasn’t there but I didn’t see or hear a ton of bad behavior from the fans on either side on the tv audio (and there usually is a lot of it. Shit gets racist and homophobic quickly).

2 Likes

Pulisic being back is a big help.

Where do they play international matches over there by the way? You probably don’t have a national stadium like we do here.

Every time I see anything to do with the 2022 World Cup I think it can’t get any more of an embarrassment to the sport and today is no exception as I’ve seen there’s a possibility of Scotland qualifying.

They rotate sites. There was a little controversy about putting the USA-Mexico game in Cincinnati because of the perception that it’s a place with fewer Mexican or Mexican-American people and the Federation was snubbing Latino supporters.

Traditionally the USA plays Mexico in Columbus, Ohio. It’s just a lucky stadium for the USA. A lot of the matches have ended 2-0 or 0-2 which is why “dos a cero” has become a meme online in USA circles.

1 Like

Why is this a consideration? You’re the home team. I’m sure other countries don’t do this. “Oh we can’t play San Marino in London because there are no Sammarinese people there.”

Mexico will get their own chance to play at home.

3 Likes

It’s tricky because Mexican-Americans are a huge part of the football fan base/market in the US. Despite the explosive growth of the PL’s popularity, for example, by far the most watched league in the US is Liga Mx. And Mexican-Americans split their national team allegiance between Mexico and the US.

3 Likes

Yeah, the endless questions to the Federation about reaching out to the Latino community kind of underscore that point.

USA soccer has for a long time been a very white and upwardly mobile sport at the youth level. Like everything in the US there are sticky issues of race, ethnicity and personal identity bound up in how the Federation develops players. I remember people flipping a shit when some German-born players elected to play for the US during the 2010s. And don’t even get me started on that sentient shart Alexi Lalas.

3 Likes

Yeah, we don’t seem to have those issues up here. And, yup, shart seems a fair description of Lalas.

On thoughts of a national stadium, even though Edmonton doesn’t even have an MLS team there’s always a good turnout at big games - 50,000+ last night. Centre of the universe, a.k.a. Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver would all love to claim a national stadium, but with a 60,000 seater here, plus the ability to nigh on fill it, I’d have to say that Edmonton is the de facto national stadium.

As with all things north american, the distances sort of preclude a central point for the travelling fans. That said, the CFL Grey Cup draws fans of all teams the the various designated venues across the country every year.

Giroud: