Zlatan Ibrahimović

I was replying to Castiel who said only league and CL goals matter. You must not have seen that because you then go on to discuss FA Cups and Euro League. Regardless it’s a stupid hypothetical discussion.

Yeah not getting the doubters here, at least at this point. The guy has proven himself to be top, top class for a long, long time and has come to a new league and despite playing for Mou and despite playing for a team that was pretty shambolic last year, he is looking fantastic - add to that the quotes about his fitness, the reaction of the ManU supporters who watch him every week, and it just seems odd to pick on this particular issue to criticize a player.

He’ll very possibly end up the leading scorer in the league and could absolutely hit 30 in all competitions - fact is, he scored 50 goals in all competitions in 2016 - that is frankly redonkulous and only Messi is above him (which is just absurd btw - guy has to be greatest ever).

You may not like him b/c he is ManU, you might have doubted his sustained quality at 35 (I did), and you may find him an egotistical jerk (like Ronnie), but he is a f*ing footballing phenom at this point and I think evidence points to him being a massive success this year as a signing.

3 Likes

Not really.

Nah he won’t.

We probably won’t agree here then, but like I said, this is a strange one to downplay - 50 goals in 2016 speaks for itself, even if you don’t like the style or way he plays…

He is second in the league in scoring, one behind Costa and on track for more than 30 goals - I like my odds on that score, but whatever - not everyone can appreciate the big Swede.

5 Likes

Well said, sir.

1 Like

@BigWeng_4LYFE you said he wouldn’t hit 15 league goals pre season, so the fact he has 12 just shy of the halfway point is probably a good time to admit you were wrong.

3 Likes

This thread wouldn’t look out of place on a United forum. Way too much love for a rival player who isn’t even the best striker in the league. Alexis, Costa, Aguero are better.

3 Likes

Ya know what, an even better time to admit I’m wrong is when I’m actually wrong, he hasn’t scored 15 goals yet pal. I don’t think I said that BTW but let’s go with it.

Really not seeing this love.

I see posters disagreeing with the suggestion that he is shit or a fraud or a flat track bully.

He’s second top goalscorer in the league. Alexis Agüero Costa and Ibrahimovic are all good strikers and their teams key player. They are all different kinds of striker but all are equally as important to their team.

5 Likes

Being a flat track bully isn’t necessarily a bad thing though. I’ve seen Ozil described as such.

4 Likes

Yes it’s not a bad thing but people for some reason use it as a criticism lol.

Arsenal are the ultimate flat track bullies!

1 Like

He’s good but doesn’t score in big games.

Its mainly the Wenger out people that are miserable about our players and so praising of rival players. Calm down and lighten up, we are in the top 4 not a relegation battle.

3 Likes

This ^ you grumpy old gits.

That’s really not true. Only last season he eliminated Chelsea from the Champions League. He’s eliminated us before too. I’ve seen him score winning goals against Milan, grab 4 against England and grabbed one against City in the Manchester derby this season.

There’s no doubting his record in big games isn’t spectacular but the same criticism was levelled at Thierry Henry too. And irrespective the sheer amount of goals he scores and titles he’s won over the last decade plus is incredible.

And you have to give credit where it’s due. It’s not about him playing for a rival or not, it’s about being an impartial football fan sometimes too. Ibrahimovic’s association with Manchester United makes him a rival player and I’d thoroughly enjoy seeing them all flounder. But it’s embarrassing to read some of the criticism and frankly ill educated opinions being spouted about him. And when I read bias nonsense I’m always prone to want to challenge it.

12 Likes

Amazing that he has been massively underrated when he was with Juve, the Milans and Barca, to becoming overrated at PSG cos he scored a couple worldies (vs England, probably first time peeps were properly watching him), to now being underrated again?

Which is it ffs?

He is a top class player. To do wat he is doing when there were many reasons to think he wouldn’t be anywhere near as productive proves he is a special talent.

I don’t think he was ever at Ronaldo/Messi level as many were saying at times in 2013/2014 but you have to recognise real.

And I would take any flat track bully if they bully as well as Ibra does. Suarez was accused of being one at times too.

2 Likes

Because there is none. If they started flocking the Costa or Aguero thread and claimed they aren’t that good we’d see the same reaction in the Costa or Aguero thread. It’s merely as you say the suggestion that he’d struggle in the PL and that he isn’t doing well.

1 Like

Does make me laugh that suddenly giving credit to a rival player some how equals ‘loving them’. It’s just being a balanced fan. No fucking harm in that.

12 Likes

I agree. Like, Suaraz for me is the best player in the world at the moment (Not Ronaldo) But he is such a dick, hate him.

Ibra is the same, I don’t love him, but can appreciate what he has done - especially as a freebie. I think people forget that he cost absolutely nothing. Yeah OK a lot of wages, but still.

4 Likes

Forget even the fact he was free - it’s the fact that he’s 35 that’s the most astounding part of it.

I’d be curious to know who the highest scoring 35+ year old in a single PL season is? Anybody got the stat for it?

2 Likes