Will you watch the rest of the season?

I think it’s like shammy said.

If Arsenal were midtable like Liverpool for years with Wenger at the helm, I’d probably tap out.

But if it were at the hands of a new manager, or we were consistently getting new managers in etc. I’d definitely watch every game again because there’d be a sense of hope, that this time it might be different and so on.

5 Likes

This

Probably spurs and defo the semi final but nothing else is important.
Not even if we got to a top 4 shoot out as ive no interest in that gimmick.
Plenty of ways of catching up after the game to different levels depending on results.

I don’t really buy it to be honest. The situation under Wenger is way better than it would be if we were simply consistently midtable, if we became a Stoke or West Brom. It’s a damn sight more interesting too. I’m fed up of life under Wenger, I have to make that clear. But occasionally finishing second like last year but always being in the top four, winning two FA Cups in the past three years, even being in the semi finals this season. This is a damn sight better and more exciting than being a boring midtable side who make no waves in any competition year in year out. We took an absolute pasting this year, and go out at the same stage of the CL every year, but especially as a fan who regularly attended matches up until this season, getting to see us play Barcelona or Bayern every year is exciting and you can throw in playing teams like PSG and Dortmund in the group stages too. That beats any excitement gained from watching an average midtable side imo.

If people give up on watching Arsenal now I’m highly sceptical that they’d stick around to be passionate fans if we were midtable or worse, I really am, because however unexciting things are now they could be a whole lot more boring. Mid table sides can chop and change managers as much as they like but that doesn’t necessarily lead to improvements. Some sides just stay in mid table whoever is managing them, most sides never win the FA Cup regardless of who is managing them. If we became consistently midtable I doubt a managerial merry-go-round would be enough to keep people watching if it never lead to improvement, which is the scenario as I’m laying it out.

What happens if Wenger signs an extension, as perhaps looks likely, are you lot going to not bother watching Arsenal for the next few seasons? That’s not an option for me, Arsenal is too big a part of my life for me to stop bothering because I want a new manager. I’m fed up of the relative monotony under Wenger, but fans stick with their side through thick and thin and things could be much shittier than they currently are under Wenger, and while this might be hard to imagine, other clubs are in shittier and far more monotonous and boring ruts than we currently are.

6 Likes

Dont agree here mate. Cant see were your using the word excitement in comparison to a Stoke or west brom when the gulf of expectation is so different.
Also top 4 for us has become something to dread with the constant embarrassments.
We didnt get pasted by Bayern on an off day we got fucking humiliated.
Now im a massive fan of cup football and thats sustaining my interest for now but as for giving afternoons up to watch sub standard boring football with nothing imo to play for fuck that.
Plenty ways to follow and see the team after the fact nowadays.
Get your drift about people drifting if were not winning and the likes but that remains to be seen.

I know the gulf of expectation is different, but my point is would people continue to watch us if we became a mid table sides like either of those two, if they aren’t watching us now because it’s boring (ie not exciting). In this context it is perfectly valid to compare our current situation with the likes of West Brom and Stoke, because that’s my whole point. The point is: if you find our current situation unexciting and monotonous, how will you cope with the true monotony that comes with being a truly boring, unachieving midtable side (if that is what we became)?

You call it a fucking humiliation, the words I used were absolutely pasting. I think you’re splitting hairs a little bit here to be honest, I think my words adequately reflect what happened. Just like any other Arsenal fan I’d also agree that it was fucking humiliating. I think on that aspect we’re just using different phrasing and we view that tie in the same way.

I’m not having a go at anyone by the way, or trying to be a superior fan, just trying to understand a mindset that I just don’t get. As I said, I’ll be watching basically every game because I simply have always lived my life this way haha

Oh yeah I’d still watch next season with Wenger at the helm, because who knows, this MIGHT be the season.

I’m just done with the rest of this season. I guess I needed a break anyway.

3 Likes

I can’t remember the last game of yours I watched.

Ive lived a large chunk of my life like this and will always follow the team.
Difference for me right now is there are more ways of doing it now than just watching live.
Im saying its a dead campaign now so changing things around to watch the game become less important. Also the loathing I feel to Wengers attitude is effecting my support and enjoyment more than anything.
I was one of the few on here who was going when we were a mid table side and have seen some really average players.
Im not one for saying it was great before the prem because honestly at times it was not.
Obviously its an emotional time right now being a gooner but frustration is turning everybody up the wall right now.
Good posting though mate because your focusing on Arsenal FC than pro or anti Wenger.
Might disagree on the topic but I recognise your passion.

2 Likes

Absolutely likewise mate.

1 Like

I agree.
I used to go regularly to Highbury in the eighties when we were usually above mid table but never going to challenge for the League, and there was no fourth place trophy then.
Even in the early nineties and the seasons we won the League, when Graham was manager, you could turn up and still get in without any bother.
You could go to a match on a Tuesday night, stand in the North Bank and watch us play teams like Newcastle and Charlton with a crowd of about 18k, and it would cost about a tenner.
The football was pretty one dimensional in the eighties but I still went to a lot of home games every season, but since we have been more successful it is a lot more difficult to get tickets and way more expensive.

So I can only imagine that some of the supporters that jumped on the bandwagon after we became more successful and entertaining, could just as easily stop watching us if we drop out of the top four.
But I would watch us even if we got relegated, in fact, I might be able to start going to matches more regularly because there would be more empty seats and it might be more affordable.

7 Likes

I’ve stopped going this season due to the amount it costs. Still got the season tickets in our name so in a few years we’ve still got the option but at over a grand a piece I’m not sure that I ever will tbh.

2 Likes

You just going to rent your season ticket out next season ?

Yeah that’s what we’re doing this season. Now you mention it, I hope the guy who has taken them this season wants them again next season :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been doing this for quiiiiiiiiite a few seasons now along with some others around me and have become quite the pro at selling a ST that is becoming increasingly unsellable.

I too am worried that next season if it’s more of Wenger’s unique brand of League/European failure to look forward to, I don’t think my current tenant will want to take it on, nor the OH’s

1 Like

If it’s on and I’m really not up for doing anything else at the time then yeah. The cup is the obvious exception.

1 Like

To tell the truth if money was no object id be at everygame even with Le Fraud there… Fuck Wenger.