Will we sign a striker?

I lovr Maths and (71+83) is making me furious.
154, you lazy fuck.

Don’t even get me started with 2-0

Don’t be dissing Wenger-numbers!

This is right, except Wenger always tries this tactic and it never works, because what he fails to realise is, that every club in Europe knows he is desperate for a striker and just because he wants to buy their striker, it doesn’t mean to say the selling club has to sell.

It’s a fundamental rule of economics that the seller dictates the price, not the buyer, especially when the buyer is desperate and the seller knows it.

For someone who is supposed to be an an expert in economics, Wenger doesn’t display much knowledge of the subject.

Though there is a difference between paying up for Griezmann over Higuain, ticks pretty much all the four boxes he was talking about last night whereas Higuain is a short term solution.

Unless the selling club* happens to be AFC, in which case, you lose your captains for peanuts.

1 Like

It’s kinda weird having not sold any of our best players for several years, but when it inevitably does happen at some point I hope we absolutely rinse the big team for a high fee. We used to get the piss taken out of us with some of the fees we got

like many i’ve questioned if AFC could have got the money Tottenham got for Bale, or the money Liverpool got for Suarez.

Goes without saying losing key players for the kind of fees we were getting is just like having salt rubbed into a fresh and open wound. we were all kind of hoping these days were behind us. with what’s been going on and the lack of outfield players it could very well start up again. maybe not for peanuts, but still.

Hopefully it’s an unfounded fear and nothing more.

When Sanchez and Ozil leave soon, we’ll see. Shame, the club could have really kicked on and kept them happy and added to the talent level. Instead, the see the lack of ambition and 2016 was their last for Arsenal.

1 Like

Sanchez and Özil leaving is a very real possibility if we fail to win anything next year. and given how frugal Wenger/the club have been over the years, winning the title or the CL could very well depend on signings (assuming of course the tactics are good enough even with signings. that’s also taking into account last season).

And both of those players are in their peak years, given the career expectancy of a footballer, they won’t suffer this crap much longer. to say nothing of Cech.

Which leads me to Wenger, i wonder if all this crap ever dawns on the man!?!

:poop:

Repeat with me: Walcott good enough to play as striker it’s only poker game, it’s only a poker game, it’s only a poker game :pray:

Ffs

1 Like

Well, I’m glad at least that Wenger is not having Walcott at RW, and trying to convince him publicly that he’s a CF, because that’s his only use to us. And tbh he’s not totally wrong, if Theo got some confidence and some goals under his belt he could have a good season.

Not glad, obviously, that he might not even sign a striker. :facepalm:

2 Likes

Goddamn Titou you really expect me to sit here and watch a gif of Gosling in The Nice Guys and not give you a like. Haven’t loved that man so much since The Notebook.

1 Like

Oh ffs Wenger. Just for once in your life, stop defending mediocre players & call him ‘you are shit’ at his face.
Perhaps he might leave after that.

5 Likes

Wow, if Trion is giving it to Wenger, you know the situation is in dire straits. :campbell:

Seriously, expecting Walcott to do what he hasn’t done before in the 10 years he has been at Arsenal (consistent) is stupidity.

1 Like

Definition: of only average quality; not very good.
Nope that’s still to good for Walcott.

1 Like

Yeah, because calling a player shit in public is a great way to raise his value for sale and attract bidders!

It would also be pretty ridiculous to call a player who was in fact rather good from 12-14 ‘shit’, because he had one shit season after tearing his ACL. But that’s about 99% of Arsenal fans atm. And then the same ones will go and praise Ox, who, up to this point in his career, has in fact been, well, shit.

Anyways, it seems like Lacazette is actually keen on a move. Trying to not let our frustrating way of doing business and the negativity affect my objectivity too much, I still think we will sign a striker, and I think it will probably be Lacazette. Which would be a nice move, though I really wish we were after some young talents at CF too, because literally we only have 17 yr old Donyell Malen, who wasn’t even starting in the UEFA Youth League, in that category.

1 Like

That quote from Wenger just doesn’t add up with the facts. Wenger pulled the plug on the Walcott at CF experiment in the fall after he returned from his injury. Alexis was also out and Wenger went with Giroud at CF and Walcott on the wing. Then Theo lost his starting role when Alexis returned. Also, Theo wasn’t even playing that much CF in the game with United - from what I remember, and from what I can see also just looking at a few highlight reels, our front line was fluid but Theo played a lot of that game at RW with Welbz in the middle. So making it seem like the United game killed his confidence in playing CF is just a strange thing to say, given that Wenger hadn’t played him much at CF for months at that point and he wasn’t even playing there exclusively in that game.

Maybe I’m just hoping this is the case, but I think Wenger is just saying what he has to say given that (a) he doesn’t want to look too desperate to buy another striker and (b) he may actually try to sell Walcott at some point so no use calling him shit.

Actions speaks louder than words and Wenger’s actions last year were pretty clear: He decided Theo wasn’t going to be a CF sometime in the fall, he didn’t give Theo another real chance at CF even when Giroud went into his massive slump in the winter, and he played Welbz there rather than Theo in the spring.

I don’t think that’s really true, though. We just didn’t have options on the wing so when Theo got back from his injury in the Carling Cup he played Theo on the wing with Giroud at CF (obviously, as he can’t be moved wide).

In that United game he did in fact play up front as the primary CF as I recall. He was absent in that game and then Welbeck was given most of the opportunities after, understandably.

Pulling the plug on the Walcott at CF experiment isn’t really an accurate characterisation, though, if Walcott didn’t get injured when he did/other wing options + Santi (forcing Ramsey to go into the middle) didn’t get injured when they did, I’m sure he would’ve continued with it, but in that period we were so short on options you pretty much had to play both Walcott and Giroud, with Walcott on the wing. Walcott was subsequently shit on the wing, got into very poor form, and that was that.

Aside from leaving us short on the wings, tbh, Wenger was guilty of not giving Walcott another extended run at CF after the promising spell in autumn. Walcott’s shit form on the wings made it hard on him, tbf, and so it was understandable he became 3rd in the pecking order with Walcott and Giroud, but a manager with vision and patience to see out what was a promising experiment would’ve given Walcott the games Giroud got in the late winter/spring when Alexis came back and Joel and Iwobi emerged.