Will we sign a striker?

You don’t actually believe there’s more than a 0% of us being able to sign him do you?

I think it pretty clear now that we won’t be signing a striker of serious quality. Still can’t, or want to, believe that Wenger will start the season with our current options going forward. Since RVP left it’s been obvious we need to strengthen in this position, yet we keep hearing the same old excuses come September as to why we didn’t properly strengthen.

He could be signed, he has a release clause and Athletico seem to be bringing in a lot of strikers. Obviously we’re a complete shambles at getting deals done so you’re probably right but I still can dream.

How much is the release clause?
Considering have been CL finalist twice in recent years, Wenger will have to pull his A game to lure him here even if we trigger the clause.

He’s not going anywhere as long as they have Simeone and they keep on doing well. Atletico at this point is a top4/5 club in the world and so will be able to keep a player like him.

Why would he leave a top club like Atletico Madrid to come here.
Simeone or Wenger?

You’ll note that I said “Could do worse.” And that’s exactly what I fear will happen. Mandzukic isn’t a scraping-the-barrel idea, but that’s what we’ll end up doing. Again.

I don’t see a single possible reason for him to sign for us. None whatsoever.

I’m afraid his A game isn’t looking too good given that Leicester players think Leicester is a better situation than Arsenal.

In order to land a top talent, Arsenal need to pay up and that doesn’t look very likely to happen given Ivan’s comments and prices are “scary” to Wenger.

So, the really small hope of a title challenge rests on Ramsey having a full season like his half one a few years ago and Theo doing something he hasn’t shown in his 10 years with the club and Ox…

:facepalm:

1 Like

No, it really doesn’t

Nice selective quote. The intent was if the team isn’t buying a striker that can add something right away (or a quality winger opposite Sanchez), then the chances of having a squad capable of winning the title rests on players having seasons that they haven’t shown the ability to do in the past.

My other assumption is that Chelsea, Man U and City have improved, which they certainly have on paper. Arsenal will have a tough fight for 4th with Leicester/Spurs/Liverpool.

1 Like

That’s what separates the men from the boys. Was there really a good reason for Ibra or Mkhitaryan to go to United. Nope. If we wanted to we could easily offer him 200 plus thousand a week to make the decision easier, same could be done for Alexis and Ozil but we’ll probably dance around the issue until the clock runs down then end up with nothing.

@Trion I believe it’s like 80 million pounds but I’m not entirely sure. Either way its a better investment than Higuain.

Vietto just went to Sevilla on loan… why weren’t we in for him? Seems would have given us short-term depth we need, offered something else from Giroud, and is a talented footballer, even if he isn’t necessarily the right guy. If we aren’t going to step up and do proper deals, it seems like those kinds of moves would be prudent, no?

The cunt who is called Jose Mourinho is a solid enough reason imo. We can hate the guy all we want, but I can understand players wanting too play for him.

Atletico lost Vietto in the deal for Gameiro btw.

He’s only like 22 though, is their desire for Costa entirely dead with the Gam deal?
I’m not sure about Atletico’s financial situation but are they in a position to turn down a huge, huge bid for a player? I mean obviously their recent success will have been massively lucrative but BVB have been too and they can be got at for money - granted their situation was pretty dire not so long ago.

There’s always release clauses and probably more an issue of the player wanting to move

But I think the problem with BVB was the release clause. At least in Gotze’s case. They didn’t had any choice. I think these days they don’t use those anymore because of that. And Mkhi simply didn’t want to extend. Release clauses in Spain are huge. Clubs aren’t going to put them up that easily.

No idea about Costa, but with Gameiro, Torres, Griezmann and Correa they should have enough strikers. With how they are currently spending it seems money isn’t a problem anymore.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’re an upgrade from Atletico at the moment. We’d be hard pushed to convince him even if we paid the buyout.

Think this thread needs to be retitled to “Will we ever sign a striker”

3 Likes

We have been watering Asano and putting him out in the sunlight but he hasnt grown an inch ! He’s still 5’5’’ and not a centimeter more ! I’m wondering if he will ever grow ?

2 Likes