Who would you like to replace Arsène Wenger?

Looking at what managers like Tuchel, Nagelsmann and Hassenhutl have done with smaller teams (top five finishes in the Bundesliga) you could argue they deserve the opportunity to be considered for the next level to see what they could do. Arsenal, together with Tottenham and Dortmund, represent that next level. I think we are a bit too focused on high profile names anyway. First of all there aren’t many of those options out there (two, maybe three in Simeone, Allegri) and if they would become available they’re going to have to have their pick of clubs I would imagine.

1 Like

Well Leipzig are probably the 2nd richest club in the Bundesliga so hardly a small team regardless of their history and the fact they were in the Oberliga not long ago. Hassenhutl didn’t even take part in their promotion from 2nd Bundesliga as he was hired after that. Before that he had managed to promote Ingolstadt but to be fair they were a little bit shit. But I do give him credit for challenging Bayern for the title last year as long as you can call finishing 15 points off the top challenging. What has Nagelsmann done with Hoffenheim? One season wonder and then back to obscurity. And Tuchel had one top 5 finish with Mainz in 5 years. Sandro Schwarz finished 6th with them two years ago. He did win the DFB Pokal with Dortmund but to be fair I will take a World Cup over that. What standed out of his tenure at Dortmund was that he was similar to Klopp and I don’t know if that’s a good or a bad thing.

You hear these names branded about as if they are high profile while they are the Eddie Howes and the Ronald Koemans of the Bundesliga.

At least they actually are football managers unlike Henry and Arteta lol

3 Likes

I think it will be one of these.

1 Like

He is a novice. I don’t really get the comparison to Pep because Pep legitimately coached and managed their B team successfully and everybody at that club will have known that they had a special coaching talent with innovative ideas on their hands so it wasn’t quite the big risk it’s made out to be. It’s like saying they took a big risk making Messi a prominent first team player at 16 or 17 or whatever it was, but it wasn’t because they knew what they were dealing with.

Arsenal from what I could tell appeared to give not much of a shit about Henry coaching here, and on the opposite end of that Henry didn’t appear to give too much of a shit about coaching here either. He’s taken a part time job so that he can continue his punditry. I’m not sure why anyone would want him as our manager.

8 Likes

So that’s the qualification needed for managing Arsenal?

Anyone who still thinks George Graham wasn’t a good manager, just remember this.

In his last eight seasons with us he averaged about a trophy a season, including two league titles and a European trophy, something Wenger won’t come close to.

He also left us with one of the best, and most well organised defences in Europe.
It was this defence that won Wenger his first two PL titles, as well as FA Cups.

I know Wenger is a better and more influential manager, but what is he going to leave for the next manager?

Just a mess.

4 Likes

I don’t rate Loew at all, he’s proven nothing in club football. He won the WC with the finest generation of players of any nation in the world at that time and even that looked shaky at times in games like Ghana, Algeria, the United States! and in the final against Argentina who could’ve won if they didn’t lose their shit everytime they went near the goal.

I don’t believe Jogi will have a successful club career at the top post-Germany.

10 Likes

I’d actually argue he’s consistently under performed over the years, minus the WC, considering the talent at his disposal.

Don’t know where the urge to have him here stems from tbh

8 Likes

I find with managers, it’s less about what you’ve done but where you most recently failed. As soon as you have a bad season, you’re shit. Low hasn’t had a bad season, so because he hasn’t failed the shit media will lump him in with top coaches. If he goes out to Iceland at the world cup, he’ll be sacked, called shit and trying to get jobs lower down the table or end up managing Russia or something.

1 Like

That’s not remotely what I said is it mate lol

If it is not what you are saying we can agree any of them is a ludicrous choice then :slight_smile:

Was probably the “equally” part I was responding to :slight_smile:

Just pointing out that they aren’t equally ludicrous in the simple sense that they are actual football managers with some experience of managing football teams.

I don’t want any of them so I guess we are in agreement haha

My top 3 in a broad measure encompassing want and realism would still be Jardim, Nagelsmann, Tuchel in no particular order

1 Like

He shouldn’t even be on the shortlist imo.

Not enough experience, not big enough sample size to compare and contrast with other names being mentioned.

Can’t see senior members of the squad responding to him, he lacks the record to command respect

1 Like

While Tuchel has proven what in club football? Loew hasn’t managed in club football in order to prove something.

That’s a very dubious statement given the set of players Spain and Argentina have.
There is very little to differentiate between the top nations and to downplay the achievement of winning the World Cup like that feels very disrespectful.

Yeah but they didn’t win, Germany did. Maybe if they had a better manager they wouldn’t lose their shit.

At the end of the day our management missed this ship big time so most of what is available is guesswork and a matter of personal preference to the fan. There is literally no evidence to suggest Tuchel would do a better job than Loew other than personal preference.

1 Like

It’s a mega gamble in a football era where perhaps mega gambles are no longer an option (unlike back in 96), so who knows. I guess the German connection is strong within the new hierarchy. I agree it could be weird for players taking orders off a 30 year old but at least they’d be fresh ideas and it’s the sort of sea change that this stale club might as well get now

Apart from the 7 club jobs he had prior to becoming Germany’s assistant manager? :stuck_out_tongue:

Spain’s domination of the international stage was coming to an end around that World cup. I honestly think Germany had only 2 very convincing performances during that tournament, Portugal and Brazil.

Maybe. :joy:

The reverse would also be true. I agree it’s personal preference at the end of it all.

1 Like

You can’t really judge him on one season cameos with Karlsruhe and Adanaspor from nearly 20 years ago, can you? Back then Arsene Wenger was good you know.

1 Like

Aye, but I don’t think managing 2 games every few months will suddenly make him worthy of managing a top European club. He may be a great manager of egos, I just don’t think he’d be all that succesful as a coach managing a team every Saturday.

However, that may mean more Germans. :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: