Who would have Klopp instead of Wenger?

Regardless of their manager, I still feel like they can go and fluff it all up against a string of bottom league teams.

Plaudits for them at the moment definitely, they seem to finally have taken to Klopp’s system and are playing exciting football but, well, Liverpool. They are just as likely to implode as we are, let’s not fool ourselves here.

1 Like

Look at the respective fixtures we’ve played though. We’ve not had a single big team away from home yet, they’ve had several.

If we’d played their fixtures and they’d played ours you’d be pouring scorn on anyone saying they were in better form than us.

4 Likes

The question will always remain though, it’s fine for 9 games, but what happens in February?

They might just pull it off without European football but then again they might be knackered come mid-season. They came close to doing it last time they had a decent team and no Europe but last time they had the best player in the league, now all their rivals have at least 1 better player than their best and they won’t go 38 games giving good team performances. Some days you just need Aguero or Suarez to bang in a couple and nick a 2-1 and preserve your momentum.

Their fixtures haven’t been easy, but they played United at a time United were low in confidence, probably the same for Chelsea and they played a shambles of an Arsenal team.

I do like them though. They clearly lack the star power of a team like City or Arsenal but I don’t think you can look at any of their players and really go that’s a bad one (I’m not keen on Mignolet but didn’t see enough of Karius to judge him). Maybe their attack isn’t full of goalscorers but they have a lot of talented players there so they’ll always be capable of playing a decent game.

1 Like

The season is longer than 9 games. Wenger will beat Klopp again in the end.

The facts are that Wenger has been a manager in the PL longer than any other by some distance.
He has had a settled squad for several seasons.
He has two genuine world class players and a few others that are very close, and he is more experienced at the top level than any other manager in the PL.

Klopp is a lot younger.
He took over a Liverpool team lacking any world class players, and several that weren’t at the required level for a top club.
He had to change the club from no where near good enough, to actually challenging for the PL.
As far as I can see, he has done more for Liverpool than any other, in a short space of time, with out spending on world class players.

The question is, can he keep this form up?
If he can, and ends up higher than us at the end of the season, then it could be argued he is a better manager.
There aren’t many players he has that would get in our first team, so he must be doing a pretty good job.

2 Likes

Serious question, how many Liverpool players would start for Arsenal ? Really wouldn’t be many.

We’ve been on the same level for several years now. It’s only natural teams are going to get better and challenge us. Standing still means regressing(?). It will be interesting to see how we’ll cope with that and if it might push us a little further.

If I had to bet on it I’d end up agreeing with you. But that isn’t necessarily a completely fair way to judge their respective abilities. @InvincibleDB10 makes some good points, Wenger has a lot of advantages over Klopp in terms of financial muscle and the quality and settled nature of his squad. If the managers were reversed I’m not convinced Wenger at Liverpool would be able to match Klopp at Arsenal.

Though in fairness Liverpool have no European football so that will be a massive advantage for them league-wise.

1 Like

Wenger has gone through days of playing Bendtner, Denilson, Song, Djourou, Almunia. So Wenger is completely capable of getting any bunch of players performing.

Why do people always keep referring to squad players in his defence :grinning:? He had very capable starting elevens during the past 10 years.

2 Likes

Because first choice players were often injured.
Bendtner filling in for Persie
Song was first choice for 3 seasons
Denilson when Alonso wrecked Fabregas
Djourour was first choice for one season.
Almunia multiple seasons.

Not against competition as fierce as that which exists in the league now. That’s not to denigrate some of the league finishes he’s achieved with pretty average squads. It’s just to say that at the moment he has the advantage of having superior squads and players than teams like Liverpool and Spurs, as well as far greater financial power in terms of both transfer fees and wages. As well as the advantage of being in the job for ever and having control over a single facet of he club. He should be finishing above both sides.

Higher League finish with no Europe was something Brendan Rodgers achieved over Wenger.
That doesn’t mean Brendan was better than Wenger.

Sometimes Teams click, like Leicester.

Ok. Well with all the advantages Wenger has over people like Klopp and Pochettino people like you definitely won’t proclaim Wenger to be better than those two if we finish above them.

Definitely not.

That still doesn’t mean the 9 or 10 players around them were of shit quality. And don’t forget. Giving youngsters chances was one of the thing Wenger was known for. He did the same with Bellerin, Iwobi and Coquelin as he did with Bendtner, Djourou and Denilson.

Song wasn’t a bad player imo. Just not disciplined enough for what we needed.

Crazy the explanation of lack of resources & inferior squad, is something frowned upon when Wenger is compared to Mourinho, Pep.
Using lack of resource to explain Emirates barren years was an EXCUSE but when it comes to other clubs, it is no longer an excuse.
Nice.

2 Likes

Have to agree with @Trion here. Wenger has maintained a top 4 finish with some proper dodgy players. Having Almunia in goal for 3/4 years was just a joke. We replaced RvP with Podolski and Giroud who aren’t/weren’t anywhere near his level. We didn’t even replace Cesc properly either and had the likes of Arteta and co to rely on.

Just because we might have a slightly better squad than Liverpool now doesn’t mean we always did. As mentioned. Rodgers nearly won the league and finished above us but he’s nowhere near Wenger’s level.

Klopp is a good manager, no doubt about it. He seems the type that can get the most out of what he has got as his disposal. However I don’t buy the financial story, Liverpool have done some dodgy dealings in the market and wasted a fair bit of money. Wenger has been much more sensible over the years and still maintained a high level of performance.

Liverpool may have beaten us 4-3 but we had a depleted squad because of the Euro’s/Copa America whatever - and we still managed to score 3 goals past them.

Time will tell.

1 Like

What 9, 10 players; We had Fabregas & Persie as bonafide class players who were always injured.
Nasri only came good for one season.
Our defence was considered shit all the time, wasn’t it?
Almunia was our goalkeeper till Szczesny came by.
Wilshere only played one season.
Diaby, Rosicky, Vermaelen were not available.

Only Sagna & Koscielny have been consistent during those years.

I count just 4, Who are these 9,10 players?

You’re basically talking shit by using other people’s statements about our barren years to try and highlight some sort of hypocrisy on my part.

Nice.

Oops I thought you were SDGooner.