Who would have Klopp instead of Wenger?

With a pretty abject squad containing basically none of his signings. League performance wasn’t up to much but he did get them to two cup finals, and destroyed some of the big teams. Thee were clear signs of promise

I think it would be fairer for you to judge him on his league performance this year, now he has managed to bring in his own players and make the side his own. Now he has to deliver on the promise shown.

2 Likes

Agreed and they have started the season with 13 points from 6 games, in schedule thats included Arsenal, Tottenham & Chelsea away.

2 Likes

Yet we’re still above hem even though they beat us!

Well so far this season we are doing better than the in the league so so far my judgement hasn’t changed

We are but to be honest given the fixtures they have had their start to the season is better, they have 3 massive away games out of the way and we have none ( well one if you count Leicester)

We’ve played Chelsea Liverpool and lester where as the have played us chelsea and thotenham, Ok their games were away but I’m pretty confidant we will beat thotenham away and Liverpool at their place

How many points would you predict from us in 6 games:

at Liverpool
at Tottenham
at Chelsea
vs. Hull
at Burnley
vs. Leicester

Would be pretty pleased with 13/18 from that, and there’s no denying we have a better squad than Klopp’s. More than that is the kind of form that gets you a mid 80s pt total, which is still very, very optimistic for us this season.

3 Likes

I’m not sure but his 100mph pressing has it’s advantages and disadvantages. It can see you dominate play and can help you score from counter attacks. It can also see teams score against you in counter attacks because you’re players end up out of position. The other problem is it can make you tire late. You can’t sprint all game, you will tire.

We saw in his final season with his final Dortmund season teams let them have possession, counter attacked them and beat them. The players were likely run into the ground to. In the PL his tactics are already failing against counter attacking teams despite their good start.

Now the other huge problem is injuries. That style of play is incredibly intense and will push the body to the limits. Dortmund players broke down in that final season. Reus, Sahin, Gotze, Bender and Gundogan all broke down and have become injury prone likely because of this system. We have the same problem and we must push players to their limit but under Klopp they maybe even more injury prone.

So not an easy answer. The other consideration is head to head. During Dortmund’s hayday and Arsenal’s lean years we shared a group 2 or 3 times and came out even overall.

I’d Predict 11 points, win the bottom 3, Draws at spurs and Liverpool & our standard annual loss at the Bridge.

Im simply not a fan of this guy ,not saying he isnt good but we are a more conservative football club and Ive always kind of liked that .
As most would know I am not Mons Wengers biggest fan BUT untill Dennis is ready I have accepted that Wenger will be here,I really dont want a travelling supercoach type of person.
He will sign a 2 year extention and that should be his last !
In my time of supporting Arsenal we have only had 6 managers unless u count Theo Foley ,and one of them only lasted a season Rioch !

They’re in a good run of form and we might not match their total in those exact fixtures but I’d judge it off who actually does better at the end of the season. They were lucky to play us when we had 2 young lads at CB. We’re matching their points total having played each other and both having played Chelsea and Leicester, there start has been harding having played Spurs to.

Their squad isn’t that weak either, their collection of fowards is arguably better than ours.

I know it’s ‘only 1 game’ but it was too emphatic, so I can’t see us losing to Chelsea anytime soon.

Us being above Liverpool on goal difference isn’t really a relevant reply to me saying that I think you are unfair for judging Klopp solely on his league finish in his first season.

Why? Is that something we do often in recent years? Are Spurs or Liverpool worse than they have been in recent seasons? Are we much better?

We were pretty emphatic in beating Man U 3-0 in the first half last season and then in the second half of the season when the pressure was really on we went up there and capitulated against a bunch of debutantes and kids.

A lot can change from the first half of the season to the second half, especially at Arsenal. I’m not sure I’d take our victory against Chelsea as a sign that we won’t lose to them again later in the season.

3 Likes

But we have a better squad overall. And based on that we should finish above them. We only have one great forward in Sanchez, but he is better than anything they have.

I don’t think a lot of people on here think Mane is better then Walcott f.e.

Well it will be interesting to see who attracts the better players ?

Sanchez better than Sturridge? Mane is 24 and has 2 seasons where he’s scored more than 10, Theo’s 27 and done it once. Firminho had 10 goals and 7 assists in his first PL season and in Germany accumulated 23 goals and 21 assists in 2 seasons. Then they have Coutinho.

We have better CBs and CMs for sure and better overall. We should finish ahead of them.

1 Like

We’ve improved defense and midfield starters and depth since then though.

Sturridge is a better CF than Sanchez if healthy but overall Sanchez is the better player IMO.

1 Like

I’d rather have Alexis because Sturridge is a crock but Sturridge as a goal scorer is typically world class if you look at his goals per minute at Liverpool it’s one of the best in PL history

1 Like

Seeing this list it doesn’t feel like that set of players is tangible(?) better than what we have to offer. Sure, Coutinho is better than Iwobi. Other than that we’re talking about players who fall in the same bracket imo.

I wouldn’t trade Sturrigde (who doesn’t even play…) for Sanchez tbh.