Who will win the Premier League 2016/17 season?

Chelsea and Liverpool haven’t really bought anyone massively impressive and Chelsea might lose Matic and Costa. Chelsea also just lost to Vienna 2-0. United and City have just done their annual 200 million bits of business, which could obviously massively improve them but as I said they still have fundamental issues and issues of adaption for new players.

We had massive problems ourselves last year, it’s all about building and hopefully we do. Our policy is sadly one of minimal investment. Even if it’s a young player or an older under appreciated player who could do a job. We’ll see the window isn’t over yet and I’m in hope.

[quote=“arsenescoatmaker, post:42, topic:59”]
Chelsea and Liverpool haven’t really bought anyone massively impressive and Chelsea might lose Matic and Costa. Chelsea also just lost to Vienna 2-0. United and City have just done their annual 200 million bits of business, which could obviously massively improve them but as I said they still have fundamental issues and issues of adaption for new players.

We had massive problems ourselves last year, it’s all about building and hopefully we do. Our policy is sadly one of minimal investment. Even if it’s a young player or an older under appreciated player who could do a job. We’ll see the window isn’t over yet and I’m in hope.
[/quote]I agree that Liverpool haven’t bought any big name players but I think Chelsea have done ok and will get a few more players in.
The difference between those two clubs, as well as Man City and Man U, is that they have all got top managers that are all used to winning titles in different leagues and working with the best players.
Also they have made every effort to do what it takes to identify any weaknesses in their squads, and strengthen where needed, so consequently all the supporters of top clubs have a reason to be excited about this season, except us.

Most of our supporters recognised last season that we have become stale and we needed a massive lift, and yet we are the only club to have done almost nothing about it.

Like you, I hope we get a couple more players in, even if they are young players with potential rather than proven quality, because we aren’t going to get world class, so anything decent will do.

I agree regarding Liverpool in Klopp’s second season and I think they will be very good going forward, defence will still be questionable though.

1 Like

City if they can improve their defence that’s what’s let them down throughout the season.

But if I was to stick money on it now I back Chelsea

Yep true, even when they looked comfortable in games last season, they would make the most basic individual mistakes to concede goals. Overall, it looked a lot more promising though.

1 Like

[quote=“InvincibleDB10, post:40, topic:59, full:true”]

City, United, and Chelsea are all spending money but tbf they are just rotating players in and out. Matic and Costa were key to their league win, and now they are out the door replaced by players who will be question marks. Batshuayi probably won’t score over 20 league goals and Kante can be disruptive but there’s no evidence he can be an all around midfielder. Arguments could be made that what City and Chelsea have bought are already inferior to what we’ve already got and have added in Xhaka. So yes they’re spending but don’t get too far ahead of yourself thinking the wuality of their teams will improve in one window.

The league is once again going to be as competitive as ever and I can see everyone dropping points on any given matchday…especially us. I won’t be surprised one bit if the league is once again won with 80 points or less.

1. Arsenal
  2. City
  3. Chelsea
  4. United
  5. West Ham
  6. Lolpool
  7. Shit
  8. Southampton
  9. Everton
  10. Palace
1 Like

I think we do need signings, but getting our current players to peak is just as important. The signing of Xhaka is a big upgrade in the middle.

2 Likes

Even if what you’re claiming is true about the players, there is still the Wenger-factor which cancels that out.

1 Like

I think Man City, but with all the changes in managers and money floating around, it’s more difficult than usual to pick.

What are your thoughts and expectations on Conte?

Cautiously hopeful.

There’s no doubt he’s a good coach. Whether or not he’ll succeed at Chelsea to be seen though.

Chelsea, City or United. And almost certainly not Arsenal lol

1 Like

It won’t be Arsenal sadly, unless Wenger signs three top players and changes his tactics then it won’t be happening.

Chelsea or City for me. Utd won’t win it, another year maybe. I say We be lucky to get top 6 with how strong teams around us is getting. Everton with Koeman, Liverpool with Klopp and Spuds. Add in Leicester and West Ham. A tough old slog for us.

Chelsea will win cause they have a strong squad and with a manager who won’t slack off. City it will take a year or so for Pep to get that team right.

It doesn’t matter who we sign - Conte, Mourinho & Pep are superior tacticians to Wenger and that is quite simply all that really matters in this case.

5 Likes

Don’t think Leicester will be in it, Not so much one season wonders, more a case of teams finding them out now, sitting deeper and picking them off better, no longer a surprise package. Add on the pressure of CL games to fulfil too, and no major strengthening of the squad so far, the loss of Kante…Think they will be around the Europa league places this term

Chelsea…50/50 on them, could go well if Conte gets them hitting the ground running, or could go same way as last season and have a mountain to climb

Not overly impressed with Klopp so far, neither last season now this summer so far, they will be sniffing around 4th-6th, no more

Scum will probably be in among it, but as last season, flattering to deceive, they will fall off at some point

For me, its between the two Manc clubs, with the rest of us playing catch up

This could change with what happens rest of pre season, but that’s my thoughts on it now.

As for us, without new blood coming in, we will struggle back to our 4th place routine…

2 Likes

Ahh the yearly “we’ll be lucky to finish top 4” post. We can start the season now.

Non of those teams have a better team than us. Maybe Klopp can be a big difference maker for Liverpool, but we should finish above Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Leicester and West Ham. Easily.

Fuck knows who’ll win it. Probably Bournemouth.

2 Likes

How dare you use my swaggy P against me…