What was the last film you watched?

Through A Glass Darkly (1961)

One day in the life of Karin, a young woman suffering from Schizophrenia who goes to visit her father and brother at their island home. Initially she is symptom free after taking some medication but as the injection wears off, her condition slowly unravels her mind.

Really quite enjoyed this… Harriet Andersson was/is a terrific actress.

500 Days of Summer (2009)

A man working at a greeting card writer’s office falls for the new receptionist Summer. The film plays out their 500 day relationship. Sometimes it’s going fine, other times it’s a disaster.

Thought this was gonna end in a bullshit happy ending. Surprised…Kinda.

Hoffman (1970)

Peter Sellers plays Mr. Hoffman, A businessman who having been left by his wife in a bitter parting blackmails his beautiful young Irish secretary, Miss Smith, into spending the week with him in his flat…His blackmail is centred on his uncovering of Miss Smith’s husband to be’s agreement with a gang of thieves to help themselves to company product in exchange for a cut.

While there, Mr. Hoffman plans to blackmail her into sexual relations… ‘getting full use of her’ as he puts it. As the week progresses their relationship goes from a hostile one to a weird close one.

Really enjoyed this for it’s creepy hilarity. Peter Sellers apparently hated it because the character of Hoffman revealed too much of his own personality. He tried to buy the print off of the film company to stop it’s release.

1 Like

Hour of The Wolf (1968)

A tormented artist and his lovely wife live on an island in almost complete isolation from the rest of the world so the artist might overcome his demons.

And I thought Persona was confusing…

Storks

Im that parent now who sees more kids movies than adult movies nowadays. They are doing a much better job of mixing in adult humor to keep the parents sane because Storks was really funny. Andy Samberg is the main character and Key and Peele are in it and they steal the show. It’s actually a funny movie. I’ve seen it about 10 times now though because when kids latch on to something they want to watch over and over and over again…:expressionless:

1 Like

I went to the cinema the other day with the family and watched despicable me 3, loved it just like 1, 2 and the minions movie, they dropped a few references to other films as well (toy story, finding nemo and star wars) a few more as well.

and yesterday I watched Lake Placid for the first time, was a pretty good film tbh. I have a load of films saved on my v box that I need to get around watching at some point

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
The Wayward Girl (1959)
Dark Passage (1947) - Again

Then a mini Sellers marathon:

Dr Strangelove (1964) - Again.
Being There (1979)
Never Let Go (1960)
The Pink Panther (1963)

Ah, great film. One of the more linear films by Tarkovsky.

I saw it in original film format, and it was great.

Saw this as a back-to-back double feature with Tarkovsky’s The Mirror; my mind was exhausted after it, and thankfully they showed Ivan’s Childhood second.

Ha, actually saw it and reviewed it on July 16 last year on here…

1 Like

Just came across this review for Inception (which I thought was terrible), which made me laugh:

2 Likes

Just watched Hacksaw Ridge and loved it

Based on a true story and directed by Mel Gibson. Thought it was excellent from start to finish and showed the troubles of someone joining the army who didn’t want to hold or use a gun!

Would definitely recommend

2 Likes

Icarus on Netflix. All about the Russian doping conspiracy. Well worth a watch.

1 Like

A Matter of Life and Death / Stairway To Heaven (1946)

A young RAF Pilot is on his Lancaster bomber which is in the process of crashing when he radios into HQ so he can get a message to his family before he perishes. He gets talking to a lovely young American radio dispatcher named June who he flirts with a little while relaying his message to his family… They become close in their brief radio encounter when the Pilot bails out of his plane without a parachute.

He wakes up on a beach, believing himself to have made it to heaven when he is informed by a young boy and a bomber plane that he infact somehow miraculously survived the fall. He is then visited by a man from heaven who informs him that he missed him and that he should have died owning to an error. The Pilot demands and then is given hearing to defend himself and plead that he may be allowed to continue with his life due to his recent flourishing romance with the young American dispatcher, June.

Also part of the story is a possible brain injury that may account for the possible hallucinations he’s experienced.

Brilliant film. Never seen anything quite like it…truly brilliant and the effects for 1940s are absolutely superb.

Not normally a fan of the whole ambiguous, ‘leave it up to the viewer’ to decide schtick that some films have…But I like this one.

2 Likes

Saw Good Life two nights ago, but more importantly, I saw ‘Call Me By Your Name’ last night.

Truly incredible film directed by Luca Guadagnino, starring Timothee Chalamet and Armie Hammer also featuring Michael Stuhlbarg.

One of the best films I’ve seen in a while. Magical performances. 5/5

The Double (2013)

A guy named Simon James lives an awfully lonely, miserable life doing not much but working in an office all day. The office pushover’s uneventful life is interrupted by the appearance of a guy named James Simon who is identical to him in everyway except personality. James i outgoing, confident and a ladies man…Everything Simon is not.

The two gentlemen become close with James even attempting to help Simon land the girl he’s been stalking…until he doesn’t.

WEIRD.AS.FUCK. But then it’s directed by Richard Ayoade, so it was never going to be anything but. :joy: Enjoyable though, for sure.

1 Like

You watch a lot of films

1 Like

Master

A pretty lit Korean film about a dogged policeman trying to bring down a guy with a dodgy pyramid scheme by targeting his IT man.

Pretty good thriller/action film.

Only sometimes. Other times I can’t face them for ages. Weird. :giroud:

1 Like

To be honest I’m similar. Though not for the same reasons. But I don’t go to the cinema. I just watch whatever is on Netflix or Sky or Amazon

1 Like

What Happened To Monday? (2017)

AKA, Seven Sisters

In the not so distant future, the world population has reached breaking point with a number that isn’t able to be provided for in terms of food and water. A one child per family policy is enacted… If a family is found to have had more than one child, that child is frozen and place in cryosleep.

One woman after consuming the modified food created in an attempt to help give sustinance to everyone, has 7 children, all girls all during the same pregnancy. The mother dies in childbirth and the father isn’t known so the children’s grandfather takes care of them. For 30 years the girls named Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday hide their siblinghood, each taking the day of their namesake to live their lives under the name Karen Settman…Their mother’s name. This worked well until one of the girls, Monday goes missing, leaving her 6 sisters to find out what happened to her.

Interesting film, really enjoyable. I had it sussed almost from the beginning though. One thing I’ve noticed about films set in “the not so distant future”, the government and/or general lives of the population are never good. :joy:

Still, 7 Noomis. :heart_eyes: :giroud3:

The Dark Tower

I tried to go into this with an open mind, but as soon as I saw Idris Elba had been cast as Roland, I knew this film was going to suck.

But it was even worse than I had imagined.

Election and Election 2 by Jonnie To.

Hong Kong’s answer to The Godfather series, only without the shit 3rd one.

It is more an insight into the inner workings of the Triads and their traitions rather than a classic action gangster film though. Heavy on dialogue and politics, not so much gory action, but when the action does happen it is savage. And I actually liked that about the 2 films.