Virgil van Dijk

Because we already have 6 centre backs?

Just like we already had 5 central midfielders (and a host of other players who could occupy the role) and Wenger still signed Xhaka. If a player is good enough - the club will want to sign him and Iā€™m sure one or two players would be shipped out anyway. If we persist with 3 at the back, having 6 CBs is a requirement.

One of the two yoof is always going out on loan and Mertesacker is basically a non-player now as far as Iā€™m concerned, so Iā€™d be up for this. But if Chelsea want him, Chelsea get him I suppose. We must accept our position at the table (did I just admit that? :expressionless:)

1 Like

Yeah you know what Iā€™ll hold my hands up youā€™re right man, Iā€™m a little tempted to go up and edit it to his up there with the best but fuck it lol

As for Alderweireld he does benefit from playing under Pochettino like any defender would but he still deserves he fair share of credit, after all every team he plays for are consistently solid.

On top of that he rarely concedes any fouls either

ā€œIn 5,500 Premier League minutes since the start of last season, he has committed 16 [fouls]. By way of comparison, Shkodran Mustafi has conceded 32 since August.ā€

Which is an incredible statistic even if it is benefited by how well drilled and organised the players are around him thanks to Pochettinoā€™s style which you alluded to.

2 Likes

@Titou14 thereā€™s no doubt heā€™s a very good CB and I like his game, great pick up for Spuds and cost peanuts.

That is quite a good statistic, I think he also has only two yellows this season one of which from the Chelsea FA Cup game. However, Spuds donā€™t really get exposed even with two FBā€™s high up the pitch. They are very good at covering and swarming, whereas our default setting in defence is to come out wearing our birthday suits lol.

2 Likes

this guy will be expensive i reckon you could get Manolas for cheaper than this guy and he is arguably better, not sure we will be looking at CBs in the summer anyway i think our midfield and striking situation are our biggest problems

From what I can gather Van Dijk is a highlights type player whoā€™s overall defending isnā€™t great. A defensively solid team who sit back makes his job far harder than it would be at a top attacking team.

We only had 1 DM though, granted it appears Xhaka is worse in that dimension than first though but we had squad positions to fill.

Added to that we desperately need a CF and probably a CM still. Our CBs arenā€™t that bad, any CB will get ripped apart when they are outnumbered like ours often have been.

Hopefully we sign Kolasinac as rumoured as his recovery pace would shore up our left side and he can play CB if required

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/889954400717897732

He is Dutch. Weā€™ve had a nice Dutch pipeline through the years. Chelsea just had lefty mclefterson and heā€™s a dooshbag.

He is clearly going there. Expect Liverpool to smash the record for a defender.

I hope Southampton stick a ridiculous price tag on him, a la Swansea with sigurdsson

The more Liverpool spend on rubbish players the more itā€™ll affect them further down the line. Daniel Levy spoke about unsustainability this morning- Liverpool are the perfect example

Daniel Levy spent Ā£35m on Sissokko lol.

5 Likes

Touche

I suppose Levy giving a lecture on frugality is like Ariana Grande speaking up the virtues of celibacy

You mean like how buying players like Lucas Perez, Elneny and Gabriel has affected us lol

4 Likes

I donā€™t get Liverpool. They could afford some WC players, but they waste the money on average ones.

Perhaps world class players donā€™t want to go there :sunglasses:

Still one of the funniest transfers in recent history.

Yeah, think they even prefer us :wenger:

They have had a few strange transfers in recent seasons.
They bought Lamala, Paulinho, Soldado and Sissoko for 100m and none of them have looked anywhere like good value.
But the transfer they must regret is selling Sigurdsson to Swansea for 10m and Ben Davies.
It will be interesting to see what Pochettino is going to do in this window, if anything.

I mean, the Lamela, Paulinho, Soldado transfers at least had some logic to them on paper. The Sissoko transfer was just so obvious from the beginning they were getting swindled and buying a shit player for a hefty fee because, well, because I still donā€™t know why, but I guess because he had a ā€˜goodā€™ Euro Cup.

Dunno about Sigurdsson, not sure heā€™s quite good enough to be a difference maker for the top tier of clubs.

1 Like