Viewing the site

Interested to know, which method do you prefer to use the most when browsing threads on here?

• Latest
  • New
  • Categories
  • Unread

0 voters

People can just use their preference and bookmark that page

I’m using latest posts which surprises me because I never used that feature on the old site, but I’m gradually finding it much easier to keep up with what everyone is talking about now.

2 Likes

Going to look at ways of trying to improve the look and functionability of the Categories section, because in the long run, I think it’ll have to revert back to being the default Forum homepage. When we first got the site, we put it all together fairly quickly. Now we’ve had a bit of time to see how things work, as well as feedback from you guys, I’ll have a play about with the layout some point soon.

For those who are currently using Categories to view the site, what are the main things you want to see improved upon, what you do feel, if anything is currently missing to make it better? @Trion, @AW49, @Arsenal, @AbouCuellar, @Maxi_Gooner, @TH14, @Ocke, @SamInAus

I’ve mostly used Latest, However I do also like to utilise Categories and feel ‘Old School’!

1 Like

I liked on the old forum how you could see under a certain category the subject of the thread last posted in and the latest poster. If it was a poster I liked in a thread that interested me it would basically induce me to click.

(alternatively, if it was, say, Trion/Drayton in ‘Arsène Wenger’, it gave me a good idea of how to save my time :wink: )

3 Likes

[quote=“AbouCuellar, post:6, topic:230, full:true”]
I liked on the old forum how you could see under a certain category the subject of the thread last posted in and the latest poster. If it was a poster I liked in a thread that interested me it would basically induce me to click.
[/quote]Totally agree. Actually last night I played about with the number of featured category threads from 3 down to 1, and it will come up with the most recent post with the most recent poster :+1:

The only downside I discovered is, pinned threads take priority when it comes to latest posts. So if someone posts something more recent, but it’s not pinned, it won’t show up in the image above. The pinned thread still stays. So will need to figure out if there’s a way round this, as this wasn’t a thing on VB, as pinned threads are important, but so too are relevant latest posts.

1 Like

@Mysty can I keep it the way it is?

One really good feature I like is on the latest page, when someone has posted (or a few have), then the bar comes up at the top saying so, and to refresh to see.

I have to be honest, the first 30 mins I was nosing about I wasn’t really sure about the new site…But after using it now for a few hours I have to say its brilliant, I love the user friendly features and will explore more

[quote=“Calum, post:8, topic:230, full:true”]
@Mysty can I keep it the way it is?
[/quote]Keeping Latest as your personal default? I believe you can.

[quote=“TA-6, post:9, topic:230”]
I have to be honest, the first 30 mins I was nosing about I wasn’t really sure about the new site…But after using it now for a few hours I have to say its brilliant, I love the user friendly features and will explore more
[/quote]I think most members have felt like this :smiley: It was quite overwhelming the change to begin with, but as time has passed and finding our way round with the software and improving it, people seem to really like it, which is great!

[quote=“Mysty, post:10, topic:230, full:true”]

Good as I really like latest

I’m pretty happy with how it is. I’ll probably change to ‘NEW’ in the future as I have used it on other forums in the past. Certainly a more modern look and feel which is great.

I think using the new list means you end up reading more posts, or thats certainly the case for me at least. Obviously the more you read the more you interact which is what its all about. :slight_smile:

I’ve found myself using the latest option more and more now. Wasn’t a fan at the start, but it all makes sense now :slight_smile:

It handles on the phone so well too, refreshing after the ghastly updates tapatalk used to do frequently.

1 Like

OK, I’ve finished off making changes to the look of the Category section. @Trion @AbouCuellar @AW49 @Arsenal @Maxi_Gooner, @TH14, @Ocke, @SamInAus @BergkampsLoveChild

Firstly, I’ve reduced the featured category threads down from 3 to 1, so that the last person who posted in a thread now displays. You shouldn’t get pinned threads getting priority anymore, so whatever is the latest, really is just that.

Secondly, I’ve taken all the sub categories out of the main homes they were in and given them their own spot on the homepage. The main categories sections they were all planted in I’ve now removed. So whenever you click on the little tab top left, everything is now all together and you can go directly to what you want now, as displayed in the image below.

Edit: The tab will benefit everyone on the site now, not just those using Categories, great!

And lastly, just a couple of colour alterations. All Arsenal sections now red, instead of gold. Current Affairs and World of Sport I’ve changed to Pink, to seperare them from the Orange sections and make them standout better.

If you’re using Categories, would appreiciate some feedback into these changes compared to before, I feel the changes should be much nicer and better to use now.

2 Likes

Really like it apart from the stupid stats on the left which i guess we can’t do anything about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep certainly an improvement and very similar in a way to the old forums in terms of ease of navigation. Goodjob

1 Like

I like it, but think maybe we could tweek it slightly…

Not sure why Current Affairs and World Of Sport are separated into a pink section alone, not sure this is needed

Think Current affairs can stay where it is but have same colour as the ones directly above (Cross Bar, Play on etc)

Think World Of Sport can be moved up to below International Football and made the same blue as well…keeping all the sports related stuff together.

Just a thought

Please bring back old categories.

1 Like