Unai Emery

What Wenger inherited and what Wenger left behind are not related to each other.

It’s a shame and it’s shameful that he didn’t leave better behind in defence.

1 Like

He did leave things a mess relative to our targets, but yeah AW deservedly is our greatest ever manager and club legend, despite a poor last 3-4 Or more seasons.

How long should we be giving Emery to get us back in the CL places ? 2 seasons ?

1 Like

I think 2 seasons is very fair. The top 6 is competitive, but to finish 5th or 6th for two seasons after taking over from a guy who finished 5th or 6th for two seasons is not good enough.

6 Likes

Yeah I think if he can’t get us back into the CL places within 2 seasons we have to realise he isn’t our guy, personally I don’t think Emery was the right choice and this is what will happen but hopefully I’m wrong.

4 Likes

If he doesn’t get us into the CL this season I feel the only mature thing to do is riot.

5 Likes

Tony Adams, who managed a team for four months and didn’t see them pick up a single point, is dishing out managerial advice…

3 Likes

I love a laugh at Tony Adams but that quote is more of a fan speaking than a punditry critique

No offense to a club legend, but he’s a fucking idiot.

No one in their right mind would think we’d be close to the title this season, Emery needs a lot of time to take us that far and the squad isn’t nearly close enough yet.

We just lost to Manchester City, not Cardiff City.

4 Likes

But what if is this is our new reality?

It shouldn’t be. Teams have up and down seasons but we should have at least one “up” season in four years.

Chelsea can come 1st then 5th, United 6th then 2nd. I’m expecting a down-season for Spurs in the near future for nothing other than the law of averages.

I’d accept 5th (or even 6th) if all the other top 4 (or 5) teams were genuinely very good that year and we had no complaints with our football but we should be able to have a better league campaign than two of our competitors at least once.

2 Likes

This is the problem with current era of Football, everyone wants results now now now, no patience and persistance, and that’s one thing that bothers me with the way some fans behave, if they don’t get what they want immediately, and then worse still, target that set person on social media. Though this seems to be a trend across most sports now unfortunately.

West Ham are a classic example of how times have changed. From 1901-1989 they had just five managers in their entire history. Since Lou Macari onwards, they’ve had no less than 12 managers, and three caretakers in the last 29 years, all because of this trigger happy, chop and change policy from just how much money priorises everything in Football now.

Edit: West Ham manager numbers broken down in another post, further down.

4 Likes

Chelsea and United seem to have the financial foundation we don’t seem to have. Even because we don’t actually have it or by design from the Kroenke’s. Because of that spending power their squads still harbor a lot of quality, but because preconditions are not perfect every season they can have fluctuations in their League finishes. But the financial foundation and the quality that comes with it, we simply don’t seem to have.

That leaves Liverpool. But. Klopp >> Emery.

1 Like

I think for now, we’ve played one game, against the toughest opponents this league has to offer.

It will take time, there were some flashes of good shit and there seemed to be the semblance of a plan.

For now, we just have to trust the process and let it all play out.

The objective is to play In the CL next season. Let’s see if we can achieve that and how.

3 Likes

Doesn’t even seen that bad.

3 Likes

What about Spurs ? Or you just saying we have no excuse to not finish above them ? It’s just that Poch > Wenger/ Emery since 2015 or so.

He is trying to sort out the mess Wenger has left us in. It’s simple Tony.

Oops, I forgot to include new manager Pellegrini in the list. It’s actually 12 permanent managers and three caretakers in the last 29 years. Still equates to about 2 and a bit years. During the 90s there wasn’t much change, Harry did majority of that decade.

However, if you dig into the numbers deeper, since old Harry left in 2001, the figure looks more damning. Roeder onwards to Pellegrini today, he marks the club’s 9th permanent manager, in 17 years. That’s basically 2 years on average a manager is expected to last at West Ham now, compared to the 1901-89 period when that number was well over 16 years :sweat_smile: Granted the number is a little bit skewed with Football breaks during this long period, but still find it pretty amazing the short and sweet fickle nature Football has become today in the 21st century.

3 Likes

It’s both. The issue with Kroenke being sole owner isn’t that he is going to “asset strip” the club, nor is he likely to take $ out.

The issue is that his American Sports franchises are mediocre to bad (with long periods of ownership, some in leagues that have parity like the NFL). As I stated in another thread, the most successful season of any of his teams is when Arsenal blew the title to Leicester.

For him, Arsenal is doing quite well. The team is better than his others and produces a solid profit every year. I’m sure he’d like the club to be in the CL, but he won’t be spending the money to make that happen.

In order for Arsenal to compete against the better teams in the league, it will have to largely come from astute signings of younger players that come good. Let’s hope that Sven and co are the real deal.

Are the fans patient enough to wait 3 or 4 seasons for that policy to work? Is the new manager the right guy to develop those signings?

1 Like