Unai Emery

Must have taken the cleaning staff weeks to clear the dust in this room. Probably why the announcement took so long.

15 Likes

:arteta::arteta:

Nah, one I rated him based on ‘propaganda’ from sevillistas and spanish rags that I fell for too much (MARCA and AS), based on the idea that he was a sort of ideal moneyball manager having worked under Monchi and done well, thinking that he was a more positive manager than he actually is (something he proved at PSG), and yeah, without having seen how pathetic of a manager he was at a big club.

Later, when you do a bit more research into his time at Valencia and Sevilla, which looks good enough when you do a brief glance–which is what I had done at the time–or when you listen to euphoric Sevillistas off the back of a third Europa League win and under the great that is Monchi, you see that there are definite cracks in the CV there, and the work isn’t quite as impressive at looks at that brief, mentioned, glance.

Even when I was trumpeting him as a candidate two years ago, before his embarrassing spell at PSG–and yes, @arsenescoatmaker, it was embarrassing, but it’s not worth arguing with you to explain why if you don’t get it already–less easy to hype people like @A.F. were (in retrospect, rightly) questioning his record and the hype people like me were giving him.

In short, I think he’s pretty crap, I thought his tactics in the second leg of Barça were about as pitiful as I’ve seen (and that’s without even talking about the second leg of Madrid this season…that lineup :joy:), and everything I’ve seen from his time at PSG, including facing off against Wenger twice, reminds me of that. In fact that was just a couple months into his first season and I was already realising that @A.F. was right and he was not an interesting manager at all. And, to finish it off, watching an hour and a half of him talking with Julio 'Maldini" Maldonado and finding Maldini probably to be the more interesting football mind (in fairness to Emery, Maldini is interesting as fuck, he’s just not a manager…not unlike Emery, who isn’t a very good one) basically confirmed everything I’ve learned about him in these past two years.

But who am I to take away from you all’s post-Wenger novelty high? Enjoy it while it lasts, I wish I could have it too.

What I’m hoping for is that the burden of a job where an expectation of positive football is there makes him change radically, and the fact that he’s perhaps young enough to still evolve a bit, but tbh that’s a pretty farsical hope, there’s much more chances of that kind of radical change being detrimental than it being beneficial in reality, and as we’ve seen with Mourinho, and all the times he’s promised to evolve his style to a positive one at United, managers will inevitably go back to what they really are in the end.

1 Like

I’m with you on some things, and I slated him hard for those CL exits, so me celebrating this would be a fake thing to do.

But I want to believe. Also, if l, as you said, the Sevilla success can be down to Monchi, the PSG failures in Europe may also be down to that squad.

I guess we will find out by seeing how Tuchel gets on.

But the way that PSG squad sounds like is the Netherlands teams at the world cup, and if they stay like that they will never win a CL.

1 Like

30 year dynasty winning the CL 10 times…in a row. Win the CL 9 more times. Hair grows back.

I can’t really see it, that PSG team is about as obvious an example of poor managing as you can get.

I mean, that Barça tie was pathetic, I remember people praising PSG’s first leg performance and I said at the time–literally right after the match*, that wasn’t that impressive of a performance from PSG, that was just an absolutely dire performance from Barça. He somehow managed to bungle the second leg with some of the most embarrassing tactics I can remember in a single game, and Barça confirmed how there for the taking they were by going out meekly against Juve.

The rest of his reign there is really much of the same. 93 pts with that squad in Ligue 1 really is not an achievement, it’s kinda the opposite. And as good as that Monaco squad was, an equally well managed PSG squad still wins that title…of course, it was not equally well managed under Emery.

^EDIT: just realised this second post, which was made just a few months ago, was liked by none other than @Luca_from_Italy , who is ALL ABOARD the Emery hype train. :grimacing: Ay Luquita…

Well I guess we’ll find out.

Tuchel has a similar stature and reputation to Emery when he first arrived at PSG. Seeing how he gets on will be very interesting but I predict he’ll run into the same issues Emery encountered

1 Like

This is where superficial looks at CVs and all this bollocks ‘experience’ talk lets you down. Tuchel has nothing to do with Emery. Far far far far better manager.

1 Like

So we stole West Ham’s #1 Striker target, and now we stole their #1 managing target. Things are looking up at The Arsenal I must say! :thinking:

Lets nof forget his car crash at Anfield though. Personally id say that was worse than PSG at Barca as you had a few dubious decisions there.

1 Like

PSG is a freakshow and Unais time at that plastic club cant be measured. If Neymar complaints and doesnt want to take instructions and watch videos the owner will just fire you, simple as.

6 Likes

@Electrifying

1 Like

Hey look, Ivan thinks we’re a bunch of panolis.

The voice of a loser has spoken so tell us -
As you’ve got the answers to the whole of the Arsenal managerial solution can you please tell us all , how do you know what Emery is going to achieve during his reign?
You’ve being posting nothing but pathetic negative comments, based on your childish hate of Emery .
So come on then , AbouCuntlar, tell us how Emery is going to fail …

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/999670654927548417?s=21

2 Likes

I’d love to know who they all were, and in what order of preference.

I’m going for:

Guardiola
Klopp
Allegri
Tuchel
Pochettino
Jardim
Arteta
Emery
:wink:

Want to see him our pussies stay hours there until they learn.

It can happen to change idea, you right-wing nutter :wink: