UK General Election announced for 8th June

It makes me laugh that Corbyn is the one who won’t defend our country. Cuts to the police have made us less safe. If you’re big on defence then cuts to the military will make us less safe. Lack of housing builds social tensions and you could probably add other policies that affect integration.

But we only get reminded that Corbyn is weak on defence and by weak on defence they mean hesitant about pressing the nuclear button, something that I am 100% sure that Cameron and May would never ever do, even if the circumstances were supposedly correct but they can have the easy win by pretending they could.

As for the Manchester attack it became political as soon as the terror level was raised. It gave May an extra chance to get on telly and seem statesman like in a crisis and push some right wing thoughts into people’s heads.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Ill write on the ballot ‘because of Corbyn NOT scottish labour’ on the side so it doesn’t count as spoiled.

Still clearly tick the labour box. Mind, this is IF i do vote Labour.

You sure about that?

That’s why I asked. I know here that any additional marks could end up discounting a ballot and all you need is a cunt doing the counting and another cunt doing the adjudicating and the vote ends up spoiled.

1 Like

Hmm i think all you need to do is mark clearly the choice and you’re fine, i’ll have a look. Doesn’t matter anyways, the SNP will be winning my seat anyhow

That’s correct, that’s all you need to do. Anything else could potentially call the authenticity of the ballot into question.

“It clearly says Not Labour on that ballot, we can’t count it.”… and you’re not there to say what your actual intention was.

I think spoiling a ballot is a perfectly valid form of voting by the way, I just want to make sure you wouldn’t accidentally do that. :slight_smile:

If your intention is to vote sincerely then just don’t bother would be my advice. Absolutely nothing to gain by writing some sort of message on there when only a couple of people doing the counting will see it and they don’t really give a shit about your opinions. It’s not like Kezia Dugdale is going to read it haha

3 Likes

True. Ruth Davidson has form in peeking at the postal vote. You guys are right, but I couldn’t stand those dipshits taking credit and drawing crap conclusions from the results.

Best just vote SNP, they could help bring Corbyn into No 10 anyways, if that does transpire.

Pff, I just can’t see these poll figures transpiring into seats. His vote share will certainly increase though, especially considering what it was.

Either way my support for Labour has hardened. I must admit I hoped that this election would lead to Corbyn resigning. I genuinely have warmed to his message (even if I dislike his shadow cabinet). Plus the strong and stable dalek-esque repetition from May sums up everything wrong with modern politics.

4 Likes

His shadow cabinet is fairly decent once you get beyond the likes of Dianne Abbot, and a few of the other older ones.

Tom Brake just personally canvassed my home! Made me feel really special talking with him directly

How was he?!

Haha, I actually personally know the Labour candidate for your constituency, she’s kind of a friend of mine. Just in case you might be considering voting Labour, she’s really good, and a solid Corbynista.

@Cristo Well I was just coming back from work and I’m hot and tired, I see people going door to door and I think it’s these really annoying RSPCA people.

I go inside and hear the doorbell ring thinking “here we go” and it’s Tom Brake with a big smile on his face. He was really pleasant to engage with, eager to listen and very passionate about the local area. Seems like a really nice bloke tbh.

I know it seems silly, almost child like even, but I appreciate the effort he made.

@Dr_Strangepass That an interesting link, how did that come about if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

My brother has special needs and there was some issues about funding or something with the council about a decade ago. The Liberal candidate happened to knock on our door (Holborn, cast iron Labour seat) and listened to my mum’s complaining and two weeks later she got a copy of a letter he’d written to the council on her behalf and she was so impressed that he actually cared and wasn’t just talking nonsense that she’s voted Liberal ever since :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have always said it’s the little things that make a difference.

I essentially ran an entire student union presidency campaign predicated on the fact that when I met you I would remember your name and degree for the next time I saw you again because I cared about you, so obviously I’d give a shit as President.

Fuck me, the amount of names and degree courses I had to learn and then I’d go out of my way to remember if they had an essay on or what team they supported and do you know what? I won by a bloody landslide in the highest turnout we had. The other candidates were so big on their manifestos and their politics and campaigning but I just fucking kept it simple and it made the difference.

4 Likes

Nothing special, just when I moved to London and got active in my local party, she was one of people I got to know. She’s currently a councillor. As always with these things it ends up in the pub. :slight_smile:

So Corbyn is quite closing the gap. Probably just gonna fall short like Arsenal in the top 4 race.
Oh wait! He is an Arsenal fan! :giroud: