Theo Walcott

Sometimes people get confused that he’s left because he’s got the power of invisibility. The good players have to be careful not to talk shit about him or they get caught out.

Good point there, Mysty. You can have loads of natural talent like Theo, but without desire it’s wasted. And that’s the thing, natural ability is like a wellspring, it just keeps flowing, and it comes all too easily almost to the point that it becomes a throwaway commodity. Unfortunately, desire is something you can’t manufacture, you either have it or you don’t. I’ve seen similar situations in bands I’ve been in.

Since the start of the pre-season, when he started early than the other players to recover the best condition, I understood how Walcott was determinated to react and return to be useful.

I will wait until the November international break to say if he is officially back or not, but at the moment his performances are good.

Theo had to have a personal reckoning when he looked at the shitty team England had at the Euros and he couldn’t even get a call yp. That’s the kind of thing that will make you rethink your life.

He’s not been good. He’s been committed.

He’s put in effort, chased balls, pressed, tracked back. This was entirely missing from his game last season so to see him now is like watching a new player which is great.

But that probably makes it worse, because while I love the effort, he’s still bog average and it’s really standing out to me. He hasn’t dribbled past anyone effectively in 3 games. You can see his touch and dribble is as average as ever. That assist he got was fantastic but it was an exception rather than a rule.

It was clear yesterday that he and Chamberlain were a million miles behind Ozil and Sanchez. If we can we really should be looking to spunk 30-60million on an upgrade because this isn’t a title worthy player.

13 Likes

But we won’t and it’s why Gnabry (like Iwobi) could be an interesting solution if given the chance. Can dribble, associate with his teammates in the final third and is less likely to screw up an attacking move than Ox or Theo.

On one hand I want him to go on loan and get 2500+ minutes under his belt, but on the other I think we can really use him ourselves because of the underwhelming options we’ve got.

1 Like

We should, but I agree, AW won’t. And if that is the case, I would 100x out of 100 rather see Iwobi or Gnabry given a chance than Theo. Ox, while diabolical, I have a little time for because he is younger and shows signs that he has balls… but tbf, my gut tells me Ox will continue to be terrible and we should move on.

Like @Craigie said, what we are seeing is more commitment and desire from Theo, not more quality. Don’t get me wrong, I am glad he is putting in more effort but then that is the minimum I expect from every player that pulls on an Arsenal jersey. Joel Campbell showed the same desire if not more in every game he played for us last season, and he certainly showed more quality. Iwobi too. Frankly, Theo should realise how lucky he is to still have a place in our team, over players like Campbell. Maybe he is realising that, and hence this change in his performances.

At the end of the day, like I said, he is doing the bare minimum required of him. Want to see him continue doing that, and adding some quality and end product to his game, before I start to think of him as an asset to this side.

1 Like

Good lord No.

1 Like

Reading this thread I think most would be happy for Theo to play shit so they can criticise him; at the moment regardless of how he is playing if isn’t shit it’s a right off or not good enough.

1 Like

@calum

31-07-2015, 12:11
Its 140K because it includes his image rights aswell.

Anyway buzzing he has signed a new contract. One of the best scorers in PL imo

Theooooo! :theo:

@shamrockgooner

31-07-2015, 19:09
Couldn’t be happier about this deal. I think he will be a massive player for us in years to come. Couldn’t care less about the numbers, we can afford it at the >end of the day so it’s simply not a concern for me.

@Darkseid

31-07-2015, 13:56
I don’t really care about 10K here or there as long as we tie down our best players for their peak years.

Is anyone going to be moaning about a 40K wage hike if he’s one our main players that helps us win the league? I’m buzzing that we’re now a club that has no qualms ensuring their best players are tied down with long term deals.

Well well well, you three weren’t alone in your assessment of the situation so don’t get all defensive on me. Almost everyone agreed, especially when considering he was firing on all cylinders the year before and we were on the top of the table ahead by 5 points at christmas, Theo scoring 5 goals in 5 games. Next thing you know he does his ACL against Spurs and our title challenge falls apart.

Theo will be back this year, redemption if you will. Theo has some good karma coming his way.

Did you really just go searching for posts a whole FUCKING year back brah?

Lame.

See this is what I’m talking about, no need to get defensive, hahaha it only took me two minutes to find that you’ve flip flopped all over the place. Hey I still agree with what you initially said, are you saying you were wrong? I don’t think you were…

Shocker! Opinions change over time on a forum during the course of a year. Ever heard the expression hindsight is 20/20?

And two minutes? Yeah I’m calling BS on that, you’re looking a proper mug here a4tt.

1 Like

:joy:

1 Like

@BigWeng_4LYFE people can change their mind you know?

That was just after he scored a hattrick and then scored in a final it was also two seasons ago.

Walcott was awful last season and pussied out of collisions with other players. You might like him as you like every player in our squad like a teenage girl loves every member of her favourite boy band but for anyone with sense he’s a pace merchant fraud who’s steeling a living.

2 Likes

@BigWeng_4LYFE what’s your point?

When he signed there was good reason to think he might go on to be a really important player for us. To me he’s since proved that’s not going to be the case. Have been a fan of and defensive of him for years but last season changed that. I’ll flip again if he explodes this season, but that’s just me, I tend to let what i see on the pitch influence me for some bizarre reason.

I still don’t care about the numbers either so if you have another two minutes to spare have a trawl through and confirm that it’s something I’ve never criticised.

2 Likes

It’s just disgraceful to say the things you do about Theo when he’s been a great player for us over the past 5 years when fit. The guy gets absolutely no benefit of the doubt when an acl injury has ruined many a players career and especially last year still he was showing the effects of recovering from it. This year he’s starting to look like old Theo again but in typical Arsenal fanatic form everyone attacks him and says he’s stealing a living lol. Like I said, disgraceful.

@shamrockgooner
Yeah I guess if you just look at everything in a vacuum and dont consider the circumstances you might feel that way, and you’ve never criticized his contract but others have and it’s laughable. Like I said, that was the general consensus at the time, so it’s quite amusing to see everyone jumping ship so fast…they’ll all be back on the bandwagon soon enough

I thought that both Walcott and Chamberlain were going to be great last season.

Walcott had just come back from another long term injury and was in a bit of form from the previous season.

We only had Giroud as our starting striker and Walcott was statistically one of our best finishers.
So when it became clear Wenger was never going to buy a world class striker, and decided to make Walcott our starting strike, I thought he was going to do the business.
How wrong can anyone be?

What we have found out is, that after becoming our longest serving player, Wenger and Walcott agreed that he can play as our main striker after playing on the wing for all his career,t but it became clear, after a reasonable start, he was no better than Giroud which, for a club of our standing, is unacceptable.

So like a lot of other posters I think he has been given enough chances, and considering he is about as good as he is going to get, he is often injured, and he could easily be improved on, we should cash in on him and get someone who is capable of doing a proper job.

The good thing about Walcott is, that amazingly, we could probably get around 30m for him.

Did I say a bad thing about your “boy” :joy::joy::joy: pathetic