Theo Walcott

That was definitely an impressive season. He was also pretty good statistically in the autumn of 2013, up until the ACL injury. I don’t think he has ever been the same player after the injury. And then once we bought Sanchez he didn’t have a clear role anymore. Wenger doesn’t believe in playing a front line with Sanchez on one wing and Walcott on the other, clearly preferring to have one more direct winger that plays almost like a second forward and the other more of a wide playmaker. He has only ever started them on opposite wings in two matches (and the latter of which, the 3-2 against United last spring, certainly wouldn’t have made him want to try that again). As long as Sanchez is here and healthy, Theo isn’t going to get consistent opportunities on the wing. I think its that simple.

1 Like

Remember when Song looked like Alonso for RVP.

5 Likes

Well there goes our hopes of him being sold this Summer :disappointed:

I seriously hope the only reason why this guy is still at the club is because no one else wanted him. If we haven’t tried to offload him at all thats just ludicrous.

Honesty is all well and good but to put these words in public domain will make admirers and opposers scoff alike. It now looks like he wants to settle for anything, even that crusty old RW that he believed he was above. No elite mentality here. He’s a saucy one too by squeezing £140K p/w out of us and then taking any old spot in the squad so he can get some time.

Arsene’s downfall is putting way too much trust in guys like Walcott, especially given the time to develop.

That jump from the 50/50 challenge sticks out so sorely for me still, fuck sake.

4 Likes

The one late in the season at the Stadium of light ? That was the weakest single piece of play I’ve seen from an arsenal player in my life.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/AFCPressWatch/status/724317587622998016/video/1

It was disgusting to see, fucking bottler.

Yes, I still remember how pissed off I was when I saw him jump like a coward.

2 Likes

I couldn’t care less that he pulled out of a tackle. He wasn’t good enough before that so it changed nothing in that regard.

I really dont want to see him play much this season.

The only thing worse than not being good enough is not giving a fuck, and that bit of play proved Theo is both.

2 Likes

Yea, I didn’t need to see that to know that about him, it had been clear for months previous.

2 Likes

He is our longest serving player and neither he, or Wenger, know his best position, yet he is one of the highest earners at the club.
What other manager in Europe would have a high earning player like that, for so long, and still don’t know where to play him?

Wenger is paying around 6m a season for a player that is often injured, inconsistent, petulant and unable to decide his best position in the team, but won’t pay what it takes to get a proper winger that can do a proper job

This situation is a good illustration of what is wrong with Wenger’s management.

Persisting with under performing players.
Not buying the best we can afford instead.
Tolerating mediocrity for so long.
Playing players out of position, or in Walcott’s case, not knowing his best position.
Paying world class players wages to an average player.

We should sell Walcott for 25m and put that money, and a bit more, and get Mahrez.

3 Likes

Walcott could claim to be listened by the manager when he will return to play for the squad, not only for himself.

He is a lucky guy, without a paternal manager like Arsène now he would be sold to a small club.

It’s going to be difficult to sell him considering he will have a high opinion of himself and will think he deserves to be playing in the CL. Problem is that none of the big English clubs will want him so immediately you’re looking at Europa League level teams.

If in the crazy and unlikely event that we do sell him, I would be thoroughly disappointed if we received anything less than £25m. Even though his stock has fallen very low, he’s still English and transfer fees are a complete joke atm.

His 11-12 season was a very good one for him too, though.

His end product stats were extremely good then.

Unfortunately, it looks to me that hose seasons were his peak, and after his ACL tear in 2013 he is now well past it and should really be sold by any manager who is looking to do big things…

1 Like

2016 has been the end of Theo. He is not coming back from this rut in his career and by the looks of it he really doesn’t deserve to. It’s a shame because it was only one year ago in which he was performing well.

His contract will make it very hard to get a decent fee. A club like Everton has its top earners on 70-80K per week. Taking Theo on 110K is a big ask already, no way they pay us 25M for the privilege. And I don’t blame them.

1 Like

Needs to go to China or accept a reduced wage (or Arsenal has to take on some of the remaining wage)… frankly, I’d be happy to flog him to Everton for 20 million and pay 30k/pw for the privilege.

1 Like

If we buy his replacement getting ten million for him would be a bonus.

1 Like

Mahrez for Walcott and spend another 10-15 million and I would be thrilled. Still not enough, but it would be a start.

1 Like