Theo Walcott

At least people seem to be in agreement that the right sided forward* is the most upgradeable in the team.

*for Cuellar’s benefit, I am of course referring to the media-punta liberocampista

3 Likes

We are pretty solid at every position but I’d still say CF is the most upgradeable. Giroud is Giroud and the jury is still out on Perez, and Sanchez on the left makes our team strongest with his work rate. A top world class forward would improve us more IMO. Especially considering the form Theo is in.

I know it’s still early days but the numbers Alexis is getting atm are pretty top class.

hardy har har

Yeah I agree but I was basically replying to his point about which one position would represent the bigger upgrade. Assuming Alexis is not going to play CF forever, if this is a long term solution then you might be right. I still think though if we are looking for an out and out Winger Iwobi doesn’t necessarily fit the bill on the left. Sanchez on the Left, a WC CF, and Walcott on the right IMO would be a stronger team.

1 Like

But getting somebody like Fekir would probably be easier than getting a top class striker.

Why does Sanchez on the left makes us stronger ‘with his workrate’. I would say his pressing as CF might be more effective than from the left wing.

As far as I’m concerned we get both btw.

Well we’ve been a bit open when Iwobi plays on the left. Nacho has been getting exposed because of that and for the most part when we look vulnerable in defense it’s coming down that left flank. If we were targeting a guy like Suarez then he’d be a pretty well rounded player. I’m not all that convinced we are gonna continue to play that high pressure type of game anyways.

1 Like

I can see Theo getting replaced before Iwobi, the youngster actually knows how to play football.

Theo’s form is always temperamental though, I still think our squad needs upgrades at CF and RW if we are to become a true powerhouse squad.

1 Like

To be fair on Theo it’s one thing to be out here balling with Özil, Sanchez and Santi and quite another to go and play with the dross that is the England team.

Watching those games he was on the periphery and not making the kind of runs he should have been, however, the whole team was for the most part out of sync so it shouldn’t impact his club form tbh.

1 Like

I don’t know that Theo has ever been utilised correctly for England. More a case of 11 individuals all trying to be less shit than the man nearest them.

Iwobi to me isn’t a true Winger though, he’s in the mold of Aaron Ramsey when he gets played on the wing. He’s constantly drifting central and doesn’t really provide any width. Iwobi will be a central midfielder for us eventually. It just seems that iwobi on the left and Sanchez central is a very temporary thing and is a makeshift lineup until either Perez can impress or Giroud gets healthy.

don’t forget :welbeck: can’t wait till he is back as he is a better version of Walcott.

1 Like

Yeah he’s better in pretty much every facet of the game except finishing. As limited as Theo’s other abilities are he can still score goals. Danny though would be awesome In a front line if him, Alexis, and Perez?

Ye no matter what happens we need a WC striker. Maybe Giroud will be him, maybe Perez, maybe someone else :welbeck: but I have said the same thing as a4tt, the best optimisation is if we can get Alexis to be Alexis the winger, have Özil in the middle and some WC striker up front and someone else on the right.

Walcott, whether you like him or not, still provides something unique in our squad, pure directness and pace (assuming his end-product isn’t arse) and I really do believe these several players saying Theo is a nightmare to play against, he probably is, and we need the versatility to not be a one-trick “looking to zig-zag through the middle” pony. Having him and Bellerin on the same side in games where we plan to/end up going on the counter is delicious, for example, and versatile teams also become more difficult to defend against by nature.

1 Like

Nah. I don’t feel like he has the same passing range as Cazorla, or even Wilshere, to be a playmaker and hopefully Ozil is going to be here for the next five years or so. Iwobi’s (immediate) future is on the left wing.

I agree.
When he is on form, Walcott is one of the hardest attacking players to defend against.
A few seasons ago he was the fastest player in the PL, and he was the best finisher in our team.
But his problem is inconsistency and injuries, which have meant he can’t be relied on.
So we have several strikers, like Giroud, Welbeck, Perez and Walcott, who are good but not good enough to be relied on for a top European club.

If he can keep this early form up, then Walcott is at least a great option upfront, but if, in like so many other seasons, the good form is temporary, then we might as well sell him and get what we should have had ages ago.

Nah…no way will Iwobi be a box to box… he’s too much of #10 for that. He is fantastic at getting inbetween the lines and terrible at defending (at thr moment). Its almost like when people thought Chambo would be a good CM.

Eh, this is really only true in theory, tbh. Fact is Theo is a more effective player offensively than Welbeck. If Welbeck could add more goals and assists to his game, yes, he he would indeed be a better player than Walcott. Anyways, we need to count him out until at least March this season, we can’t rush him back into action like we did last season, or else the vicious circle of injuries will just continue.

Iwobi is an ideal modern winger in a combinative style like ours. He does come central a lot, but that’s one of his great virtues, he combines very well. Actually I think the real question is, if we have a traditional striker playing (like Welbeck, Giroud, or Lucas), and Theo out, who plays on the left and who plays on the right with Alexis and Iwobi? I actually think I would go with Iwobi on the left and Alexis on the right, because when Alexis on the right it tends to force him to be a bit more creative and less predictable, and Iwobi’s strength is facing the game, combining, and making decisions with the ball.

1 Like

two goals and clearly a great performance but fuck me he could have had five! The last one on the counter attack pass from the Ox :joy:

4 Likes