U.S. Politics

They are numerous, but they revolve on Hillary being perceived as too weak or uninspirational enough to get the base out. While Trump as much as i find him disgusting was strong, was charasmatic (in an abhorant way) and had a clear basic message.

The clear message thing is important. Hillary is not really politically different to Obama. But if Obama ran he likely gets much more of his base out and wins. Hillary couldn’t do that, she doesn’t have the charisma, strength or taglines Obama had. Both Obama and Trump had simple and nonsensical taglines that made politics simple for the uneducated plebs.

Having said all that Hillary probably could have edged it if she campaigned strong in the rustbelt and didn’t shift fundings to more unlikely states after her polling was up. She pushed for a landslide insteading of prudently shoring up her bases.

Voter suppression is a whole other issue in itself.

1 Like

Robin , Trump will not be any better or worse than Obama for climate change or the envoirement .
The Paris accord is nothing but a piece of paper which the US CHINA and India will ignore no matter who is at its head !

And all the climate change stuff doesn’t even really matter that much unless we all stop eating so much cattle.

1 Like

What’s the theory behind that statement?

Anyways, came into this thread to comment on the fact that this guy Stephen Bannon having a high function in the government is almost as embarrassing for America as Trump being president. My word.

Glad I did though, really enjoyed that post above @Dr_Strangepass , the point about Trump’s principal novelty was a really interesting one that made me laugh.

@Drayton Trump will be a whole deal worse than Obama for climate change and the environment. From drilling in the Arctic, to keystone, to the dismantling of the EPA and deregulating of the renewables industry, Trump is bad news. I have no idea on what you base your first sentence in all honesty. :hushed:

As for the Paris Agreement, it’s the world’s first comprehensive climate change accord that’s been ratified by 100+ countries. It’s not legally binding towards any individual actions or countries but it’s effectively codifying on a global scale the direction we’re now going to be taking towards de-carbonisation. In a world where foreign relations are everything, no country is going to risk upsetting relations over this. It’s a little bit more than a piece of paper.

Don’t get me wrong, i’m normally very cynical and have been for the last series of COPs. This one’s got over the line though and countries can’t just walk away from the table anymore. If Trump wants to pull America out of it, he’s got to give 1 years notice and then 3 years before withdrawal.

Trump’s an ill-advised moron anyway when it comes to this issue (have I mentioned this before?) He bangs the drum about restoring the coal industry in the Rust Belt to buy votes there whilst also sounding off about the shale gas revolution, as though it isn’t the latter that’s playing way more of a key role in killing off the former than is the renewables revolution.

Obama said a lot but did little for the planet . He knew full well that his veto on Keystone would be overturned ! He also was responsible for giving monsanto legal protection for the damage they are causing to the planet . In short a typical democrat ploy that gets votes because people perceive they will be good on the green issues whilst doing fuck all about it .
The Paris accord is a worthless piece of paper in my opinion as they always are ,because they are non binding . China India and the USA will do what they want and belch more and more shit whilst they do it . Petrochemical companies are building more and more plastic making refineries world wide ,our forests are being destroyed and oceans ravaged and nobodies doing anything about it in this country apart from making consumers pay for their plastic bags , what a fucking wheeze that is !
Id love to think your right Robin but I just dont believe it !

Perfect. Four years - by which time he’s outta there.

Sorry, I’ve been busy lately.

Yeah and no. I called Trump winning all along. My wife thought I was nuts. I’ve lived through 8 years of Reagan and another 8 of Bush Jr. Ever since the Reagan and the neo-con right convinced people that the government was something foreign to be feared, it’s easy for them to whip up their base. People here have been programmed, through religion and an effective manipulation of human nature and the right wing has convinced the middle class that rich/elite white men have their best interests at heart. When it is plainly evident that this is not the case all. Add to that gerrymandering and effective voter suppression and you have a recipe for Trump.

Trump rails against “working class jobs being sent over seas”… when he is one of the many that made the decision to move jobs out of the US. To take advantage of NAFTA and other treaties that moved our well paying jobs to countries where you have slave labor. Yet he’s the one who will “SAVE US FROM THAT NIG… PERSON IN THE WHITEHOUSE!!”.

If you look at it from a clinical, detached view it’s kind of ingenious what they’ve been able to accomplish just by playing on people’s fear of outsiders… “those people” is the dog whistle. Go back and listen to his speeches (if you can stomach it) and you’ll hear that phrase, or similar, a lot.

I’m worried about the world now. Especially since he is filling all of the transition team, white house staff, and cabinet with his Yes Men cronies. I hope I’m wrong. But I see many more terrorist attacks and cyber attacks and worse while he’s president. I just hope he doesn’t start another large war.

9 Likes

He talks shit. There is already a wall between Mexico and the USA.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/systems/images/fence-20091229.jpg

Nobody is going to care if he actually builds a structure of bricks as long as illegal migration comes down. He doesn’t need to build a wall, just strengthen that border and be tougher in finding illegal workers.

1 Like

This Steve Bannon appointment…

American people need to see parallels between this and other nefarious people rising to power and causing atrocities.

Bannon is a horrible cunt of a man, and all bets are off with what he could do imo.

Democrips. For once in your life do the right thing. Kick centrist dipshits like the Clintons the fuck out and start organising for 2018.

Go for every vote. State judges, governors, the House, the Senate, everything. IN EVERY STATE. Don’t just focus every 4 years on the presidency, and then actually not try to win that even. the Clinton campaign articles that have came out since the election have been a shameful indictment on her.

She didn’t even visit Flint Michigan ffs, something a politician should be roasting the GOP over. She just spent most of the time lording it with her wealthy New York pals in fundraisers and going to bed in her own home every fucking night.

God.

What a shit candidate.

2 Likes

Lived and worked in Rayguns USA when he quite literally opened the doors of the asylums for very sick mentally challenged people and dumped them onto the streets before selling them off to property developers !
Paid for arms to south american mercenaries by smuggling cocaine thought little rock arkansas into the USA .
Say what u want about Trump but he isnt a neocon Hawk ,his record on the wars america has embarkled on is clear , we shouldnt be there and we shouldnt get involved !

Have a feeling Trumps views on foreign policy will suddenly endear him to a lot of nations and communities around the world, who mainly despise the US for their military exploits. If he keeps America out of the Middle East he will have won a lot of support just based off that. The average joe tends to be very one-issue when it comes to government. Whatever else happens in America will never matter to these communities as much as that. Yet the division and freedom to hate that he’s creating will be causing social chaos in the US and immigration will be harsher than ever.

No president of America is going to be anti war, as long as they are funded by arms manufactures.

As for Bannon, anyone who makes Trump look less right wing must be almost off the scale.
Maybe that’s why Trump chose him.

2 Likes

Giuliani as Secretary of State would mean Trump is gonna choose a Bush-esque’s approach, imo. The former New York mayor is famous for being a very tough guy.

Except he isnt,he was running away on 9/11 b4 the cameras stopped him !

1 Like

Teenagers these days are so fragile.