The Other Premier League Fixtures Thread (old)

most big games are anti climax games tbh. Being hard to beat in them is half the battle and essential.

1 Like

Playing Fabregas in a midfield two when he can’t run :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Why should running be encouraged over good football?

It’s not, but it’s a big part of playing in a 2-man midfield. if you’ve watched many Chelsea games, you’d know that so far Fabregas in a midfield two has been horrible!

Well-done Bournemouth so far.

Chelsea win 1-0.

In big games yeah but it was v Bournemouth and they won soo. The emphasis on running and working hard over technical ability has held England back at major tournaments

I have mates who support Chelsea and go to all their matches, and this is a constant bugbear of theirs. There was a game in August in particular where Kante had to run the midfield on his own because Cesc just couldn’t keep up. He’s fine in a three man midfield, but a two man midfield, not so much.

It’s mentioned pretty regularly by pundits too. So it’s clearly a problem. But OK.

1 Like

He’s in his 30’s so obviously his mobility has declined, but he won 2 titles with them so it hasn’t been overly a big problem and I said in big games when you have to defend more it’d be a problem but v Bournemouth where you attack, it’s good to have a player like Cesc, football is played with the brain

1 Like

Not really sure what your point is here? Just because something didn’t use to be a problem it doesn’t mean it isn’t now. Players decline and in order to make the most of them you have to play to their strengths - for Cesc at the moment, that is when he has 2 midfielders with him. Those are the games he has performed best in.

Bournemouth will go this season. Their lightweight and some might not like this but their not physical enough.

The joy and pain of football in one picture

2 Likes

My point was it was just Bournemouth and they won so Cesc’s lack of mobility wasn’t a big problem, in that game. In a bigger game sure

It’s really amazing, Mourinho gets one good result which was really a flip of the coin in the end and hes acting like he’s just proven everyone wrong and United are unplayable.

They go to Chelsea next, so hes almost putting more pressure on them.

He chewed them out last week for losing. Nothing wrong in giving them a bit of praise for getting a result in a big game. Mangers job really.

This isn’t directly meant for the players though, obviously he wants them to see it as well but as far as I see it its just another childish dig at the pundits after one good result.

wow, that’s a great finish.

https://cdn.imgtc.com/uploads/QtOfFL7oqlD.mp4

2 Likes

Eriksen’s ball to Alli in the 77th minute was a beauty. Well timed run and perfect delivery. We’ve not seen enough of that at Arsenal since Cesc departed. Such an asset to have in a tight game.

2 Likes

That’s shocking by Forster.

Everton actually have forward players that can run now, that’s progress I guess…

Brighton-Saints 1-1.