The Next Statue?

One more. :hipster:

2 Likes

EBOUE

Drogba.

Even if we didn’t want one of him, if he tried to build one and permanently fix it to the forecourt outside the stadium, we would probably fucking let him, like we let him do whatever he wanted when he was on the pitch against us.

4 Likes

Ian Wright
Patrick Vieira
Martin Keown (possibly Dixon, Winterburn and Seaman as well)
David Dein - who masterminded the good years under Graham and early Wenger although blotted his copybook by selling out his shares and leaving us over a decade of misery with the new and hopeless owners

All good candidates

Hmm, I’m not sure young fans will want a statue of a defensive midfielder.

1 Like

He was a great captain and leader as well as, along with Makele, on of the best DM’s in Europe.

When you look back at great players and captains like Adams and Vieira it makes you realise how mentally weak we have been since then.

There is no way the captains we have had in recent seasons, saying things about the opposition like “they wanted it more” and “we were scared of them” would have been tolerated with these genuine leaders.

Vieira was as important to the Invincibles team as Henry and Bergkamp.

1 Like

Agreed.

DMs don’t have the same marketability and brand appeal as goal-scorers, and with our younger fans many of them wouldn’t remember who Vieira is because he played so long ago. He also snaked us for Juventus and basically had a foot out the door for as long as he was here.

The next statue should be someone much more recognisable with a more tangible contribution to the club over the last ten years, like Robin Van Persie.

2 Likes

Yeah I think we need to be aware of the commercial environment that is so crucial to success as a top football club in today’s world.

Players like Vieira, as passionate and hard working as they may have been and for which we all dearly loved them, are not the players that we want to be associating our brand with too much.

I definitely think we should keep all the team photos with him in them and not cover him up, but I dont think he really needs to have a statue.

If we are going to talk about the Invincibles, why not just have the entire starting 11? I’d argue you’d have to include some of the bench and coaching staff as they also played a big role in the unbeaten season.

But that’s my point, its not the only factor to consider because at the end of the day, money talks and right now its saying “Patrick Vieira isnt a great player to have a statue as he is an unmarketable defensive midfielder from yesteryear”.

If Cesc and van Persie would have won a title here they would have been. Henry left for the same reason in a way; he couldn’t win the CL at Arsenal. Cesc and van Persie couldn’t win trophies because Wenger lost his shit.

1 Like

After the change of ownership we became a selling club where we lost our best players on a regular basis rather than building and becoming stronger. For years we got excuses about paying off the stadium while we recorded record profits. If it was Wenger’s fault then the owners should have sacked him, My guess is that Wenger was probably under instructions to work to a tight budget though but that he was happy to collude in it in exchange for a big fat salary and no pressure from above.

In any event Wenger’s 10 years of failure is definitely not deserving of a statue. He should have left in 2007 when he was still deemed a legend among the fans.

Kim Kallstrom. Won us a Cup with a broken back.

3 Likes

I will never forget Kim Kallstrom and especially THAT penalty. What a moment, what a player.

1 Like

It should be Denilson, because a statue is a stationary object that doesn’t really serve much purpose.

That pretty much describes his playing style.

3 Likes

Ozil hand on hips iconic pose.

1 Like

I’ve said in the past David O’Leary record appearances probably never get beaten.
Fun fact his penalty against Romania in 1990 shoot out makes him Arsenal first goal scorer at a world cup.

1 Like

Is a penalty in a shoot out considered a goal for the purpose of such records?

@SRCJJ the OA trivia king, what is your verdict?

3 Likes

Might as well be Xhaka, fucker is getting the keys to everything these days.

5 Likes

Probably not which then might make Petit the first in 98s final but that’s just my best guess tbh.
@shamrockgooner can adjudicate.:hugs:

I’d say a pen in a shootout isn’t a goal. Even if it’s one of the greatest Irish sporting moments.

Adams was on course to beat it at one point, wasn’t he? What’s the appearance difference between them?

O’Leary should be held in greater esteem in Arsenal circles I reckon