General News

guys guys guys, this isn’t msn chat. Debate or leave.

Inheritance without the grief, my mum sold the house I grew up in and bought her self somewhere smaller and a flat for me

2 Likes

CAn we get back to serious news now?

This is an absolute outrage!

4 Likes

You think this is bad, just watch the hell that breaks loose from @Persona, when they start fucking around with Ribena! :cech:

3 Likes

12 was already not enough, a box of Jaffa cake legitimately won’t last more than 90 seconds once I’ve opened them

2 Likes

This is a truly devastating quip

6 Likes

thanks snowflake

1 Like

Especially as he’s the poster boy for MSN-esque chats.

I’m the words of lady Jake… This is a truly devastating quip

1 Like

From people like you I basically take this as a compliment.

2 Likes

Take it how ever you like, snowflake. :slight_smile:

Tbh the quip game in this thread is pretty fucking weak from all involved. Luv u guys tho :heart:

3 Likes

My personal favourite is use of the word quip, it’s actually tragic.

1 Like

Interesting.

4 Likes

Good article, made me think about it in more detail.

Whilst the legal framework is there, and clearly prison is not for answer for cases like this (drug abuse etc etc), I still question if this would be outcome if she wasn’t at Oxford. Maybe I’m being unnecessarily unfair, and I’m not sufficiently aware of previous legal precedents, but I don’t think your progression (or prospective profession) should set you out from others before the law.

1 Like

Likewise. It certainly made me aware of much more detail about the case and how sentencing is carried out

@Kaner have a read. Articulates better than I ever could and is exactly what I was getting at.

Slightly off topic but I once read an article that suggested female criminal justice should be completely reformed. ie custodial sentences should be scrapped in favour of community service, counselling/therapy and drug rehabilitation treatments.

Several interesting points were made about female offending rates in certain crimes and the typical profile of the of the female offender

yeah I read it a and it seems theirs more to it than first met the eye, You should probably @ Cristo though as this debate started from him saying something like “male privilage lol” in relation to this case

Whilst nowhere near as good a piece as the one I just posted, I think this is worth reading too.

The same mercy should be accorded to another Lavinia Woodward, with a similar troubled background, who was simply attending courses laid on by Jobcentre Plus with the aim of becoming a care assistant. Or one who was a checkout assistant at Tesco with aspirations towards becoming a supervisor.

I don’t think there is something wrong with showing Lavinia Woodward mercy, but I don’t think her prospective career should be a factor in the slightest and I think it is pretty clear to anyone who is willing to be honest that this kind of mercy is not applied equally across the board.

5 Likes