UEFA Europa League

They dropped points against Shakhtar in a silly way by not starting their best players.

Their line-up for that game seems pretty strong to me. Milik for Mertens and Zielinski for Allan all seems tactical and normal rotation, nothing to suggest they didnā€™t take it seriously. Itā€™s not like they left half their regulars in Italy and didnā€™t have a senior player on the bench.

Allan is a key player for them, as he holds their midfield together. Zielinski is too offensive to play in Allanā€™s position.

What are you saying that in relation to? There is nothing to suggest they didnā€™t take the CL seriously. At the time they played Shakhtar Zielinski had 5 Serie A starts, Diawara had 5, Allan had 6 and Jorginho had 4.

Reina, Albiol, Koulibaly, Ghoulam, Hysaj, Hamsik, Callejon and Insigne all played. Milik was their first choice striker last season but is plagued by injuries.There is absolutely nothing to suggest they didnā€™t take that game or the whole competition seriously.

Well, De Laurentiis clearly said the league was their main focus.

Well that would be a more credible answer to the question where the idea they are going to background the EL comes from but it still doesnā€™t mean they are not going to take it seriously. When and where did he say that?

Well, they are top of the league and with a tiny squad, they canā€™t afford to focus on 2 competitions. Itā€™s just my feeling.

Iā€™m curiousā€¦ How many teams that dropped out of the Champions League group stage, have gone on and won the Europa League that season? Say in the last 15 years or so.

Seville 2 years ago, then i donā€™t know.

Chelseaā€¦

1 Like

Chelsea did it too. And AtlƩtico a while back

Shakhtar did it too.

18 years ago Galatasaray did it too btw. In the final they beat some shmucks from England. :scream:

2 Likes

Okay, so, counting from last season till 2000:

• Manchester United
  • Sevilla
  • Sevilla
  • Sevilla
  • Chelsea
  • Atletico Madrid
  • Porto
  • Atletico Madrid
  • Shaktar
  • Zenit
  • Sevilla
  • Sevilla
  • CSKA Moscow
  • Valencia
  • FC Porto
  • Feyenoord
  • Liverpool

CSKA Moscow and Feyenoord. And you have the wrong year for Atletico and Sevilla :slight_smile:

Ffs :smiley:

1 Like

Fuck Atletico. Overrated manager and boring side. Couldnā€™t even beat Girona - And Im definitely not bitter after that result cost me my 400quid 10 fold accy.

3 Likes

I won some on the double chance X2 :stuck_out_tongue:

Was it in 2010 against Fulham when they had Forlan and Aguero upfront?

So gutted. 9 games came in and of all the teams they were the highest faves. Unbelievable Jeff.

Unlucky :frowning: