Squad Management

Not in this world or the next is anyone giving us £25m for that shitter. He’s only got a year left on his deal anyway.

4 Likes

Aubameyang will never play in the middle for us no matter how much you want it people haha

2 Likes

Yeah, he’s in his groove now at LF. Best form in his career, neither he or Arteta will want to mess with that.

All I will say is that in 2016/17 playing as a central striker he bagged 40 goals in all comps. As good as he’s been we’ve been stunting what he actually could do. With the formation we play we really are hurting a lot of our players. With a direct attack, a better midfielder and someone like KDB (Buendia) servicing him he’d be even better, score even more goals, and we’d be a dominant side. This is what we should be aspiring to, not scraping 2 - 1 wins and hardly creating chances most of the time. Cmon Arsenal supporters, we can do soooooo sooooooo much better.

1 Like

That’s in the farmer’s league though… :eyes:
Auba is playing in the big leagues now and has put out two great b2b performances against top oppositions to win us the FA Cup.
Gotta accept it @BigWeng_4LYFE, Laca is here to stay. :grin:

It’s hard for me to have an opinion on what to do without knowing how much our net spend can be this transfer window.

We need a creative central midfielder though and also a LW, another CB wouldn’t go astray either.

If Auba was playing striker for a team like City who’s xG was almost 100 goals this season you can guarantee a top striker like him is bagging 30 league goals quite easily. He’s doing really well despite playing in our boring non creative team.

Edit: as a note City’s xG was more than us and Spurs combined lmfao :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Mate 100 %, the effort of scoring 60 in all competitions in 2 seasons with our midfield is simply a monumental.

3 Likes

As I said dream world, I’ll take 15m for him and like 8m for both Nelson and Eddie that will make up the difference. Just need some money through player sales our squad is a bit bloated.

2 Likes

I don’t even see how we’d get £15m for him. We’ve been trying to shift him for years but his reputation is in tatters and his wages aren’t low enough for the smaller clubs to take a punt on him.

If we sell Eddie, I’d want at least £20m for him. There’s no way Bournemouth pay £20m for Solanke/Ibe and we get rid of Eddie for south of that fee.

2 Likes

Okay any combination of outgoings of some of these doods that aren’t gonna be in our squad long term is fine with me.

Ideally this summer we can shift;

Mustafi, Holding, Sokratis, Guendouzi, Nelson (preferably on loan as there’s still an upside on him) and raise maybe £30m getting rid of the 3 CBS and hopefully circa £30m for Guendo.

2 Likes

What do you think we should do with Lacazette?

Kolasinac should be shifted before Mustafi.

1 Like

I am not sure about selling Xhaka either now. The squad coherence is so strong right now and as much Xhaka sucks on pitch, he is proper leader & captain. Bet he is more of a captain behind the scenes than Auba.

Think he has done enough to keep his place in the squad even if we bring in someone.

1 Like

In Bundesliga he played against one good team per season. in the PL right now almost half of the teams he plays would get to the knockouts in the CL. It is insanely competitive. Again you need to consider why Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, or Mane+Salah etc play wide and why it works so well, rather than them starting central. It’s key to understand why (for the sake of argument) say the 5 best players on the planet the past few years all start from out wide.

They just start there, they don’t stay there. There is no point in them starting central. They cut inside or simply wander in central whenever they feel like it. That’s why they score the most goals in the world from that position and not from CF. They have one smaller in stature part-time defender on them all game instead of two full time physically strong defenders, which is what the false 9 (or similar) is designated to brawl with.

The few #9s you can get who also score plenty from there you can count on one hand, they cost >£100m or are ageing and they’re in Real, Barca, City and Bayern and are ageing or will never move anyway. These are trends that change, as it’s a big circular rock paper scissors game, but that’s fashion right now.

If you are worried he is doing too much defensive work, there’s more physical work if you’re central forward in this setup, you don’t want your Messis and Ronaldos wrestling two tanks all game. You want them to sit wide and wait and then go while your 9 fucks with their CBs, or drag them apart, or pull them up from deep because he is dropping to start the counter.

It’s incredibly effective for wide players, Real and Barca have won just about everything in all comps for 10 years playing a similar type of football tog. with Lolpool who developed and even more pure version of it. It works because Benzema and Suarez move a lot and are not selfish. Mane and Salah have shat on the league for years and it’s to such a large degree thanks to Firmino and how their midfield play positionally, not skill-wise. You might think it’d be better to swap them out for DeBruynes but it wouldn’t be for Mane and Salah.

The alternative is ofc to change setup and tactics, that could happen and be effective and we’ll trend away from this too eventually like everything else, but Arteta is playing this type of football because he’s got the freshest most up-to-date football in mind coming out the gates as a manager. Imo, that is :grin:

6 Likes

Keep him. I guess that ultimately we probably won’t recoup was much as paid for him and his relationship with Pepe and Auba on the pitch is quite strong. As much as I shit on him I can appreciate his importance and it’s easier to just hold onto him now than it is to sell him and take our chance on a replacement.

4 Likes

Plus if these Coutinho rumours are true Lacazette is probably the kind of striker you want. Since Coutinho is very goal oriented and Lacazette has no issues with drifting from the middle they can help each other.

3 Likes

If we’re playing like that, shouldn’t we try and tease Ozil out of his self imposed exile?

Superior to Coutinho in that respect.

Just seems crazy (in a financial sense) to be paying 3 players (Ozil, potentially Big Pierre and potentially Coutinho) very high wages when we can only pay that to 2 of them.

I think Ozil is not going to play a game for Arsenal anymore. Regardless of what his agent says I think behind the scenes everybody knows it’s better to separate.

2 Likes