Site Feedback

Haha that’s exactly how I felt when I got here :smiley:

1 Like

@g4e just get yourself a decent smartphone and switch to posting on your mobile. Much better experience. That said i like the desktop site too. Definitely give it more than a couple of hours though :wink:

I’ve got a new Samsung Galaxy, but i’ve never been one for phones Shamrock. i can’t stand being on a phone for more a couple minutes, even landlines. i don’t get how people can endlessly stare at a phone. but that’s neither here nor there.

Mate i seriously doubt i can contribute to this new OA community, i really am hating the site more and more. i appreciate the old site is outdated and nothing but a pain in the arse for Shill and the site admins/mods, the more i use the site the more of a complete mess it looks to me. i just can’t stand these mega pages/threads. that and the sites menus are my biggest gripes, and unless there’s some kind of skin feature i can use to make the site resemble anything like the old site, i’m just not going to enjoy it.

Not to be dramatic, Chances are i’m going to be bidding you all a fair well soon.

EDIT…

Having to edit this post because i can’t post anymore…

@Shill

Getting a message that i’ve reached my maximum amount of replies i can make in a single day and have to wait 20 hours, don’t know what that’s all about :s

You’ve reached the maximum number of replies a new user can create on their first day. Please wait 20 hours before trying again.

Coming from you Shill, that’s high praise indeed. it’s GREATLY appreciated! my only regret is i couldn’t have been a better member.

I understand and appreciate the reasons for the move mate, it’s just too much of difference for me. while i am a member of other forums, i never post or visit them.

OA has always come across as more of a meeting place for friends than strangers just chatting on the internet. i hope that carries on and goes from strength to strength. i wish you all the best with the new site Shill.

I’ll stick around for a day or 2 you never know, i might suddenly wake up and love the site. if not then i wish the very best for each and everyone of you.

One things for sure, it’s not going to be easy to tare myself away from this place :frowning:

Thats a shame @g4e but appreciate your feedback. 90% of the members that have made the move have really enjoyed the new software. There will always be a section of people that don’t and that’s a shame. We as an admin team really believe in what we are trying to do and from the mostly positive feedback we have had so far we are glad we have.

I hope you can give it a chance but if not, no worries and wish you all the best. You were a good member of the OA community :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks and feels awesome on a phone! :+1:

1 Like

Try the above link & bookmark it.

And it is always better to let a new change set in before giving up on it.

1 Like

Bring back the arcade :tired_face:

Hey Shill & @BI1nk,

You have to think from new users point of view as well.
The landing page of the forum is a list of thread which would just seem all random.
For a new user, that may not seem organised.

Can you make categories page as your landing page.

1 Like

Well in time our wordpress homepage will be the main homepage, which will have an introduction to the OA forums and latest news. I’m not sure if the categories page is a better view for new users. Both views will be a lot to take in for a new user.

I think with the latest view the new user sees which topics are popular and active at the moment, the chance of being triggered to follow a thread is higher than when he has to choose from a category first, but that’s just my assumption. It may be something that we have to find out over time.

People are used to long lists these days :smiley: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, 9GAG etc.

1 Like

Hmmm, That is an interesting point.

Only a minor issue, one which you are already aware of. The logo on the top seems stretched?

How do you mean? Got a screenshot?

I keep getting a deceptive website message and red screen via my Google Chrome browser on my desktop.

1 Like

Agree, plus the message from Avast.

It’s been all go in here today, jesus :arteta:

Anyways, I think @Trion makes an interesting point about the categories. I don’t mind the latest post being the default view option right now, but seeing as the site is in it’s early days, we could experiment at some point (not now obviously), trying out categories as default and see how that rolls as well.

That way we can find more analysis of pros and cons between the two options and see what long term is best for OA :slight_smile:

Tbh mysty I don’t think the homepage needs changing. So quick and easy to view the latest posts!

[quote=“Calum, post:136, topic:142, full:true”]
Tbh mysty I don’t think the homepage needs changing. So quick and easy to view the latest posts!
[/quote]Oh absolutely, I just want to make sure we can make everyone’s experience on here enjoyable and comfortable to use as everyone has different preferences. Guess it’s striking a happy medium :slight_smile:

I think options are good.

Categories is my preference as it is easy to find everything, but when i need to see whats new i will look at whats new like i did the old forum.

If it were me i’d keep it at categories as a base.

1 Like

Excellent stuff. Maybe the original OA URL could be used for this new community? New visitors won’t even get beyond the security warning before they even see the link for this new forum.

Categories as a base sounds reasonable too. Makes more sense to have to change to “What’s New” or “Latest” after. Shows the broad nature of topics available which is helpful for new users.

1 Like

[quote=“Bradley, post:127, topic:142”]
Bring back the arcade :tired_face:
[/quote]Casually just spotted this. Given now this site is more mobile friendly, this may be something we explore and go back to again at some point.

When we did a poll on this last year I would say there was probably enough interest to at least consider it.

For the time being though, the new Forum and Wordpress will be our focus, but never say never about an Arcade return :8ball:

1 Like