Site Feedback

3 Likes

So much easier to read OA on the move. Currently catching up in a pub in Manchester :sunglasses:

Loving the new setup and working shit out. However why is everyone so Fckn hormonal at the moment !?

1 Like

At the moment? Lol you mean the past 3 or 4 years?

Just love accessing from Mobile and love overall features.

@Shill, only a fucked up transfer window of Arsenal is keeping this place from being a pleasant forum.

1 Like

@Trion

The thing is, football sparks passion, whether it be down the pub, at the ground, in work or on this forum. There will be arguments, there will be bitching and banter. As long as things dont get excessively personal then itā€™s all good. If you dont like a post or find it frustrating keep on scrolling. If someone over steps that mark they will be warned and eventually banned if it continues.

2 Likes

Oh I wasnā€™t complaining about the arguments.
Just that if Arsenal gets their act together, this forum will attract more posters and will be fun to engage at.

Iā€™m sure there are some fun times to come mate. Chin up :tada:

The reason I chose this software was to get away from the typical type forum and aim more for discussion based to bring in line with how social media has developed over the last 3-4 years. It integrates well with social media and mobile, so if members here can share interesting posts and topics to their various timelines, hopefully this will attract more members and in turn more debate.

3 Likes

With regard muting other users, here is a post by one of the developers of Discourse (The software OA now uses) which I whole heartily agree with.

I think mute / ignore is actively dangerous, and hereā€™s why:

• It allows you to ignore bad behavior. If someone is a jerk, why complain? Just mute. No more problem. Except for everyone else that gets to see a person being a jerk to another human being in public. Which means you are now sending a message to all other readers that this is now something that is OK and accepted in your house. Hint: it shouldnā€™t be.
  • It puts the burden on the user. A kind of victim blaming ā€“ if someone is rude to you, then ā€œwhy didnā€™t you just mute them?ā€ The solution is right there in front of you, why didnā€™t you learn to use the software right? Why donā€™t you take responsibility for the person abusing you?
  • It does not address the problematic behavior. A mute is invisible to everyone. So the person who is getting muted by 10 other users is getting zero feedback that their behavior is causing problems. Itā€™s also giving zero feedback to moderators that this person should probably get an intervention.
  • It causes discussions to break down. Fine, you mute someone, so you ā€œneverā€ see that personā€™s posts. But then another user you like quotes the muted user in their post, or references their @name, or replies to their post. Do you then suppress just the quoted section? Suppress the @name? Suppress all replies to their posts, too? This leaves big holes in the conversation and presents many pretty hairy technical challenges. Given enough personal mutes and ignores, all conversation becomes a weird patchwork of partially visible statements.
  • This is your house and your rules. This isnā€™t Twitter or Facebook or some other giant public website with an expectation that ā€œeveryoneā€ will be welcome. This is your house, with your rules, and your community. If someone canā€™t behave themselves to the point that they are consistently rude and obnoxious and unkind to others, you donā€™t ask the other people in the house to please ignore it ā€“ you ask them to leave your house. Engendering some weird expectation of ā€œeveryone is allowed hereā€ sends the wrong message. Otherwise your house no longer belongs to you, and thatā€™s a very bad place to be.

Mute is a deeply unhealthy thing to allow in your community. Of all the Discourse communities we host and know of, none of them have ā€œneededā€ mute. And if they told me they did, Iā€™d give them the same explanation.

8 Likes

Never been a fan of ignore/mute to begin with. Never used that feature.

Flow of conversation is affected if the person you have placed on ignore is also in the conversation.

A person you disagree with in one conversation, could very well have similar opinion as you in other conversation.

You also lose out of any possible humour that person may have to offer.

3 Likes

One thing I personally miss is a list of most liked posts on OA. I found myself occasionally checking it to see if I had missed some gems.

1 Like

Can we look for a mod that shows ā€˜trending topicsā€™ or something? Rather than have a list of members with most likes, a list of posts or threads with the most.

[quote=ā€œBl1nk, post:273, topic:142, full:trueā€]
One thing I personally miss is a list of most liked posts on OA. I found myself occasionally checking it to see if I had missed some gems.
[/quote]The only way round it right now would be to go into a personā€™s profile and look into their summary. Itā€™ll show that personā€™s most liked posts in there.

Alternatively, we could always setup a thread and each time link all the top liked posts. OK it would take some work but at would be in one place like before, kinda like a small hall of fame :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Great idea :+1:t2:

I used the ignore function on only a very small number of posters on old OA, and apart from one particular user, it never worked. Iā€™d regularly end up clicking the show post button, and having a blank space saying ā€œx has postedā€ disrupted the flow of a thread almost as much as if their post was viewable in the first place. Eventually I just ended up removing them from the ignore list anyway.

Iā€™m sure it was a more effective tool for a lot of other members, I donā€™t necessarily think my experience was representative. But I agree with the points made in @Shillā€™s post

How do i delete a post? canā€™t see a delete option anywhere.

Underneath your post there are a couple of clickable buttons, press the one which is three horizontal dots. This should bring up several more buttons, one of which is a rubbish bin :slight_smile:

Gotcha. i was looking for it in edit mode.

Thank you!

1 Like

Oh please stay your input is so insightful !

1 Like

Donā€™t know if it has been asked before but is it possible to set the forum to open a link in a new tab/window automatically? Or as a personal setting maybe?