Skhodran Mustafi

What is it with our players and fucking loan deals.

Show some money or piss off

2 Likes

What are peopleā€™s opinions on Mustafi after one full season? Good enough to be a first choice member of our team for the coming years or would you be looking to improve on him?

1 Like

Lol! Fuck off Inter!

Never was sold on him and Iā€™m still not. Would happily cash in on him if we could sign a replacement with quality.

Should have signed Evans.

3 Likes

In terms of pure defensive ability Iā€™m not fully convinced tbh seems suspect and not very intelligent at times

Heā€™s a dynamic defender though who great in possession. Really enjoyed his long balls forward from the midfield when weā€™re in possession probing the opposition.

If VVD was a serious possibility Iā€™d cash in tbh

5 Likes

Kos and Mustafa are the best CB pairing weā€™ve had for ages, so unless weā€™re going to replace one of them with someone better, then keep him.

Why would we sell him anyway?
Weā€™re getting rid of Gabriel, Kos looks to have an injury problem and Mertesacker is retiring.
I would have thought we need to strengthen the CB position with quality not sell one of our better defenders.

Like @sevchenko said: only if Van Dijk was a possibility would it be worth selling him.

5 Likes

Completely depends on how he develops. If he stays at last years level we will need to improve on him. But itā€™s fair to expect growth from him.

I think he looks great and we didnā€™t lose with him in the team for 13 games.

Heā€™s one of the best CBs with the ball at his feet in the world. Any deficiencies in his game so far are down to him getting injured early last season which delayed him settling in with us and the league. I think heā€™s going to be brilliant for us and I wouldnā€™t want VVD to displace him. Iā€™d only want VVD if it was in conjunction with Mustafi staying and playing together.

10 Likes

Truthfully I think he needs to improve quite a bit this season. Which I absolutely think he will do, his natural ability is incredibly high and itā€™s easy to forget how young he really is as he looks like heā€™s about 38.

2 Likes

Yeah I think this season will be massive for him.

Our best back 3 are Mustafi, Kos and Monreal imo

Agreed. Like you say VVD coming in a back three might actually be good enough to get us beyond our terrible tactics. If we lose Mustafi itā€™s a bit of a lateral move.

Surely 3 natural CBā€™s who all have high levels of athleticism and skill would secure us at the back.

Surely?

2 Likes

I would like to agree with you, however I shall refer you to the video in which Carragher goes to town on Redknapp for making that argument and I completely agree with Carragher.

We could have Silva, Chiellini and Pique in our back three and weā€™d still concede shit goals because our coaches/manager wonā€™t sort it out.

2 Likes

The thing about that argument was that they were both right. Better tactics and better personnel can equally make a difference.

The truly great defenders are the best for many reasons, one of which being their superior instincts. Wenger needs more players -mainly in the center of midfield and at the back- who can take it upon themselves to be organized and disciplined.

Itā€™s certainly never going to come from Wenger so any time I see us linked with an experienced, disciplined and talented player, I always feel itā€™s something that will take us forward. Perhaps not as far forward as it would under better management but at the same time any progress is better than none.

3 Likes

Probably because of how he looks, but more than any other player it really depresses me when I remember that he is 2-3 years younger than me. Total fucking downer

4 Likes

Yeh Iā€™ve started to notice that as you begin to edge ever closer to that dreaded thirty mark the ages within football begin to fuck with your head a bit. Especially the players who look like theyā€™ve had a hard life and are practically just out of their 20ā€™s.

6 Likes

People who would happily replace Mustafi with VVD presumably have a lot more confidence in Koscielnyā€™s match fitness than I do.

VVD as a long term replacement for Koscielny, yes now youā€™re talking

11 Likes

Could use some of that good old Per teaching.

Think we canā€™t afford to lose Mustafi. Nice guy, look a leader and he is good with the ball on his feet.

Plus he looks like Hank Scorpio

11 Likes