Serie A

Yeah. And gets fucked in the arse by any half decent side in Europe.

Probably not considering he’d be managing Barca so that means the refs would be cheating in his favor as opposed to putting his side down 10 men within the first 20 minutes. Plus a ton of dodgy pen calls he’d be on the positive side of. Would be easy mode for Wenger, as of now he has to overcome a shit ton of adversity managing Arsenal.

:rofl:

Not a chance. Pep put his stamp on that team, even got shot of some of their “stars” when he first took over as they didn’t fit his philosophy, Ronaldinho, Deco etc. The difference between Wenger and Pep here is that during Pep’s 2008-2012 tenure, Barcelona were absolutely magical while Wenger was busy making our opposition look like Barca circa 2009.

1 Like

The media has really done a job on you poor saps convincing you of these crazy ideas. Kudos to them.

What is so crazy about what she is saying? We actually saw that team playing.

The funny thing is that you’re closer to the truth with this than practically any of the other shit you’re spouting. The style of play in the spanish national team that won the world cup in 2010 and the euros in 2012 was hugely indebted to what Guardiola was doing with Barcelona. Inferior, of course, because it was just a bit of a copy from an inferior manager (Del Bosque) and because there was no Messi in the equation, but an inferior version of Pep’s Barça is enough to dominate at the lesser international level.

You really haven’t a fucking clue what you’re talking about. Not only would that Barça side not have been nearly as successful as it was with Wenger in charge, it also wouldn’t’ve have even been (or vastly, as in Pep’s/the real case) superior to Mourinho’s very strong Madrid teams.

Kinda like @aussiegooner once said (“I prefer for you not to comment on before you started watching soccer”), I prefer for you not to comment on a time when the only thing you knew about la liga was that one of its teams was in the final walking over Manchester United. It was only a few years ago you were calling Diego Costa a fraud because “la liga defences were a joke and anyone could score 30 goals a season there.” Before seeing him tear up the prem and deciding that he was actually quite good.

1 Like

Only because I literally read this today

What is this based on?
Whenever Wenger had a competitive team in his disposal, He has done well.

I say Euro 2008 Spain were the best Spanish side I have seen during their dominance phase.
While the possession football worked for them, They were boring as fuck to watch except that stomping they gave to Italy. That was beautiful to watch.

He didn’t have a competitive team the year Leicester won the league?

Without even going into recent history, Wenger never won the league 75% of the time and the Champions league 50% of the time (much less once) when we were on more or less the same footing (slightly less spending than our one major rival) with United as Pep was with Madrid.

Totally subjective, and as even you admit, that stomping of Italy was probably our most impressive performance (playing with a false 9 and a style very much imitating Pep’s) in the streak of 3 major tournaments. In 2008 we were hardly stomping on anyone; we beat Sweden and Greece with last minute goals from Villa and Güiza, beat Italy on penalties in a scoreless draw, and beat Germany 1-0 in the final. That team is often romanticised because it was the team that broke the curse, but it was never particularly dominate. That Spain national team’s reputation for dominance came from the way teams barely touched the ball in the 2010 and 2012 tournaments, from the basic fact of winning 3 major tournaments in a row, and above all for the performances and streak in qualifiers in between.

He didn’t have a competitive team compared to City & Chelsea. Just because Chelsea & City fucked up, doesn’t mean the team suddenly becomes competitive.

I won’t make an excuse for that failure of a season but no way was that team competitive.

Were we really on same footing as United?
United used to purchase players for 28-32m back in 2004. They would consistently outspend Arsenal.

Arsenal with Wenger overachieved with the way United outspent everyone in league & abroad.

Pep Guardiola on other hand had talents equivalent to Real Madrid even if he spent less, because of their impressive academy.
Wenger was not blessed with any such academy nor blessed with local talents because English players were dull as fuck.

This thread…:xhaka:

Identifying players from the academy, incorporating them into your style of play, and turning them instantly into world class players functioning at a world class level in a world class team has just as much merit or more than what Wenger was doing.

You can literally change this to:

“Barça with Pep overachieved with the way Madrid outspent everyone in the league & abroad” and it remains just as true.

Difference being, Wenger never reached near the heights Pep did in Europe, or in the league.

You clearly didn’t read my post.

Don’t know why I bother, your post is so full of holes and ex post facto rationalisations I could pick holes in it all day if I wanted to.

I didn’t dismiss Pep’s achievement in Barcelona. That’s a4tt.

My stance is Wenger would have achieved a loads of success had he left Arsenal and managed Barca or Real or Bayern or PSG; especially if he was offered an expensive squad that managers like Mourinho & Pep enjoyed.

There are more holes in your argument against Wenger. I just need to point out the Invincible season.

Don’t forget. THREE FA Cups.

That’s not a hole in my argument whatsoever. Pep averaged more points in the league in his 4 seasons than we tallied in the Invincibles season. In the one season he didn’t win the league he had more points than we did in the Invincibles season, in fact.

There is absolutely 0 basis to say that Wenger is near the managerial ability of Pep or that he could’ve achieved anything like what Pep did with the same resources.

Doesn’t surprise given La Liga is such a shit league beyond the three clubs .

Which further proves my point.
Despite being handed a shit deal, Wenger managed to win those trophies.

You haven’t a clue, lol.

1 Like

Oh I do. You just are too biased towards your domestic league to admit it.