Scum

It figures, looks fucking awful…are they perhaps blind or something?

Just me who thinks them making their stadium 61K just so it’s bigger than ours is childish as fuck? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

What you basing that on?

They chose that number to honour the last time they won the league.

11 Likes

Forever in our shadow :wink:

Well why would you want a 61k stadium lol. Very random number! I heard it on Sky Sports when they had a spurs game on. The comms were talking how they made sure it was 61k so they had the bigger stadium :joy:

surely it’ll be more like this…

anyway, the sooner its built the sooner we can will the title there…FOYS

2 Likes

Well we have a 60k stadium because that’s what we could get planning permission for. We’d have gone higher if we’d been allowed so perhaps it’s nothing more than that being the maximum they were allowed build.

Our ground is big enough for 70000…All we have to do is put regular size seats in…but as you say planning permission is/was not forthcoming…

Is that banter or the truth? Because if true that would actually be kinda cool :smile:.

Yes i realise i should castrate myself for thinking anything about them is cool.

61000 is probably rather the next year they’ll win the league :arteta:

2 Likes

Except they’ll never win the league again

Shame all the traditional grounds are just being phased out, I suppose thats just life though.

No doubt you’ve seen this:
http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/old-british-football-grounds-and-stands.html

Some grounds were death traps but its where a few of us started…And fondly remembered…
Buried by progress.
https://youtu.be/c0j-Qu9HWUc

As much as I liked Highbury, with the outside of the East Stand looking more like a cinema than a football ground and the North Bank and Clock End, it was never going to be big enough to sustain a top European club.

We have almost doubled the attendance but have lost a lot of the atmosphere of Highbury, but I can’t say that standing out in the rain in the clock End with no roof in the freezing cold was not always great, especially when we didn’t have the most entertaining football.

It has become a game where the players are wealthy and the supporters have to be fairly wealthy to watch it.
In the eighties you used to be able to turn up, pay a tenner, watch Arsenal v Man U, or any other club, with a great atmosphere.
If you consider it cost almost £100, with travelling, to watch us play now, it is out of reach financially for a lot of people.
So is that really progress, or greed?

My seat was in row 11 so unless the wind was blowing directly towards me I was just about sheltered from the rain :grinning:

I still fondly remember the slightly sweet but pungent aroma of skunk wafting across the Clock End in the second half of almost every home match, even though I was a child who didn’t really understand the concept of smoking drugs lol. But that’s just one (bizarre) example of why Highbury felt “proper” and down to earth, as opposed to the sanitised, bland and corporate feeling you get at the Emirates.

3 Likes

Which block? I was in 20 row 15… There was a couple of blokes next to me always skinning up…

[quote=“JakeyBoy, post:278, topic:135, full:true”]

My seat was in row 11 so unless the wind was blowing directly towards me I was just about sheltered from the rain :grinning:

I still fondly remember the slightly sweet but pungent aroma of skunk wafting across the Clock End in the second half of almost every home match, even though I was a child who didn’t really understand the concept of smoking drugs lol. But that’s just one (bizarre) example of why Highbury felt “proper” and down to earth, as opposed to the sanitised, bland and corporate feeling you get at the Emirates.
[/quote]I remember someone telling me that if there was haze of smoke in the North Bank, the Police new there wasn’t going to be a lot of trouble, I’m not sure how ttrue that is.

I only went in the Clock End before there was seating, so where ever you stood, if it was raining, you were going rot get wet.
I normally stood in the North Bank to the left of the goal, or if I got there early enough, right behind the goal above the walkway.
I still find it hard to believe there were crowds of 50k or more for some games before all the seater stadium came in.

1 Like