Riyad Mahrez

It’s all player talk though; moving clubs is no easy matter, no matter how easy Jamie Vardy said it was.

Equally, I would be annoyed if an Arsenal player said that it was a really hard decision, but decided to stay.

Nah I doubt players are massively bothered about international football unless it improves their sponsorship deals.

It was more the fact we offered him a 3year deal and Leicester offered him a 4 year deal. If we offered 4 years we probably would of got him.

1 Like

You can question the England’s team ability but one you can’t question at all is English players commitment and desire to represent country at international level.

Players don’t partake seeking to maximise profit from international service but to immortalize yourself in the annals of English football. Guys like Butcher, Gascoigne, Lineker, Owen and many more are national cult heroes because of what they did for England on the biggest stage. I believe, Vardy at this stage of his career, wants that to wants to play a big role in any England success at Russia 2018. He’s got a PL title already, he got a massive salary, beyond recognition with England what else is there for Vardy in football?

I don’t think the fact that we offered one year less than Leicester had any bearing at all, it’s almost trivial. Vardy needs game time, is he going to get that at a top club like Arsenal where there’s competition from at least 3 England rivals who are all younger than him and are strong candidates for selection. Arsenal could gladly drop big money on another forward to relegate him to the bench a move to Arsenal represented a lack of playing security.

However it’s a completely different story at Leicester where you can pretty much say he’ll be starting most matches over the next two seasons provided he’s fit. He stands a much better chance of getting on the plane to Russia by staying and regularly playing at Leicester.

We’ll have to agree to disagree with English players love of international football today. We’ll never know peoples motives but if it was me I’d be more interested in playing for a big club and maximising my earnings.

1 Like

I think it had little to do with the length of the contract and more to do with the fact he wasn’t guaranteed first team football here and it was too ambitious a move for an average player like Vardy. A move I’m glad he didn’t make.

2 Likes

I think you’re right.
A player is remembered for playing for a big club as well as being successful and playing with other top players.

There have been plenty of world class players that haven’t been in a success in a major international tournament.
Players like Giggs, Keane and Cantona are some of Man U’s most successful players, but never achieved anything at international level.

There are plenty of true world class players that play for smaller countries that don’t even qualify for the the World Cup, yet are still considered some of the best to play football.

I agree.
Vardy didn’t come here because he knew that he wasn’t guaranteed first team football and he would be a small fish in a big pond.
I’m glad he didn’t come here, as he wouldn’t be much better than what we have, and is as good as he is going to get.

Although I would have Mahreez, he is a great player and would have done a great job for us, but he would have only come here if we had sold either Walcott or Chamberlain, there is no way Wenger would have all three of them.

,Lineker and Owen are NOT national Cult Heroes Butcher is however, Gascoigne is to the freeble minded only !
Players absolutely seek to maximise their earnings through England appearances ,their sponsorship money increases dramatically when playing for the country !

I think US men get like 100k for a NT game. England probably get more. It’s a bunch of easy paydays because there are constant qualifying cycles now and the commercials probably skyrocket as has been mentioned.

I was basically joking before but this guy really is the new Michu isn’t he!

1 Like

It’s like he has forgotten how to play football.

he was not good today? Haven’t seen him play in at least a month I think, I’d still have him in a heartbeat. Maybe he is demotivated by the lack of competitiveness of Leicester this year?

1 Like

Well, he wasn’t that good today and the day before today ;). Maybe he just wants a move.

Still far superior to any of our wingers and if he changed clubs and was around better players I think we would start to see that again.

https://twitter.com/MessiMinutes/status/861946408500428800

Wouldn’t say no to this

Probably chavski, knowing our luck! Or if it is us, we will get this seasons Mahrez rather than the previous seasons player.

1 Like

I don’t think they have space for him with Hazard, Pedro, Willian occupying his positions but they are Chelsea so you never know.

Or fucking Maureen will jump in, just for the hell of it.

Hopefully we can get him. Don’t think he would cost that much after a shit season like this one.

Looks like the replacement for Sanchez.
Great player, even if not quite Sanchez level of influence and ability.

By Theo :wave:

1 Like