Riyad Mahrez

It was never on the cards.

2 Likes

He’ll have another solid season and move to a bigger club for more money. win-win for both of them.

1 Like

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - well done you frog eating cretin

When have we been said to have gone in for Mahrez? A lot of bullshit but the likes of Ranieri said we have never been in contact nor bid. It would have been a good signing but we have bigger problems than the right wing at present.

This is a clear example of why any football supporter should pay very little attention to sports journalists that write about football, especially transfers. It’s just a giant echo chamber of click-bait enticing morons.

It’s pretty insulting to even call them journalists.

5 Likes

Oh you didn’t see the Mustafi thread? You don’t actually bid to buy players anymore, you just talk about stuff and then clap your hands three times and the player is having photos at the Emirates.

[quote=“Jules, post:873, topic:287, full:true”]
This is a clear example of why any football supporter should pay very little attention to sports journalists that write about football, especially transfers. It’s just a giant echo chamber of click-bait enticing morons.

It’s pretty insulting to even call them journalists.
[/quote]It’s why I delibrately pay no attention at all to the transfer window regards to us for these exact reasons. Complete waste of time and energy.

bake him away toys

I think it’s time to lock this bad boy up.

1 Like

So the stick is whittled down more now. Just the defender and striker we’ll sign then.

I don’t know what striker were going to sign. Gazidis is already prepping his “dominoes didn’t fall” speech

Fairs fair, sone people wont see the thread for a few hours. They’ll need somewhere to vent :slight_smile:

I mean early in the month Ornstein said Arsenal wasn’t interested in Mahrez or Draxler. Why wouldn’t you be interested in the player of the season at his age and what he brings on the wing? I get Arsenal have more pressing needs than striker and CB, but oh well, onto the next rumor, heh.

Boring.

2 Likes

We got Theo and Ox. RW is sorted anyways.

We can’t even convince players from Leicester to join us lol, I suppose when your ambition is only top 4 this is what is bound to happen… Mahrez will end up leaving in the next year or 2 but it will be for a club with proper ambition.

1 Like

This summer just keeps on getting worse for Arsenal.

I don’t know if the club ever made a concrete offer for Mahrez (we seem to do a lot of preparing bids but not a lot of submitting them, maybe Dick Law has to count all the money by hand first?) but there were plenty of rumors. Plenty of fans analyzed Wenger’s smiles and etc. after the friendlies which were extrapolated into bids for Mahrez.

I’m not sure how the club rebound from this from a PR perspective. The Mustafi deal looks like another house of cards ready to collapse. The club obviously had a plan going into the summer but didn’t know how to cope when the plan started to fall apart.

1 Like

I don’t think Wenger ever has a plan in any transfer window.

The criteria for every manager in football is, identify the positions that need filling, then buy the best players possible, with the money at your disposal, as quickly as possible.

Wenger’s criteria is to rely on no one getting injured, which never happens, rely on players that aren’t good enough to come good, which never happens, wait until a player becomes available at a bargain price, while ignoring more important positions.

Then, when after a few seasons it becomes obvious even to him, that he can’t get away with neglecting positions we are desperate in, he makes ridiculous bids then haggles until the end of the window, invariably losing out, then comes out with the usual tired excuses like “we tried” there was no value in the market" etc.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but that’s just not true. It’s more a matter of the initial plan not going according to plan and the unwillingness to adapt to the situation afterwards. Wenger rather waits another window for the right player to become available before he invests in someone who isn’t good enough according to his own judgement. That of course only works until we’re in real need and so have to settle for someone else as we have seen during the winter transfer windows.

2 Likes

I think he does have a plan, it’s just poorly executed for various reasons. Right now we could have Xhaka, Vardy and only a CB to buy, but Vardy turned as down and from then onwards it’s been a shambles.

The club and Wenger in particular will most likely regret this window once it’s closed, the chance to acquire some good young talent was missed whilst we followed what is probably a dead end.

1 Like

Just curious, who are you thinking of here?