Riyad Mahrez

https://twitter.com/MOTDmag/status/756777497933512704

Ok a more credible source…come on please be true!!!

Fantastic signing if this goes through but won’t be fully happy with this window unless we get the striker as well.

Ask a granny on the street what do Arsenal need and she’ll probably say a striker ffs.

2 Likes

Called it!

This looks to have legs given his agent was at our game. I’d take Giroud and Theo as CFs if we pull this off although hopefully we can get another option in. Still won the CL with Manzukic flanked by Ribery and Robben

He cost over 50% more than other CAMs like Mata, Hazard and Gotze. So no, it wasn’t. Back then only CR7, Bale, Kaka, Zidane and Torres had gone for more money at the time. And Ozil despite being a great creator doesn’t even score goals.

1 Like

Giroud and Lolcott as the striker options will end in the same way it always has.One of them has no business being at the club let along playing as a striker here.

Not getting a striker in whether Mahrez joins or not is an abject failure.

2 Likes

Quality left footed right sided midfielders are worth their weight in gold. Mahrez is definitely worth it. So what if its the same we paid for Ozil…he was a bargain at 42.

2 Likes

Let the dust settle first.

Firstly, no one even knows if Mahrez is really coming at all.

Secondly, I don’t see why this (potential) signing would stop Wenger signing a striker…

1 Like

I don’t understand this hate for Walcott - he is a good player and has shown his quality before. He had a bad season last year and it is a big season for him and he has a point to prove.

Anyway if it was left to you we would have spent a large part of our transfer budget on Schneiderlin last season - look how that turned out for Man Utd!

2 Likes

Walcott is shit. His attitude is one of a player happy to play a 6 out of 10 game every week. He is not a winner.

5 Likes

Are you Theo Walcott? He’s awful. Leave my club

4 Likes
  1. Our right flank is arguably weaker than our CF position.

2. Giroud isn’t worse than Manzukic and Bayern won everything with him

3. Obviously I hope we get a striker too, but this is probably the best player we can buy that will improve us the most.

3 Likes

The injury has done him in and he’s noticeably slower as a player that relied heavily on his pace this is huge blow and one I doubt he can recover from, He doesn’t seem to be able to blow past players anymore, then there’s the fact he’ll never be a striker at least not at the level required for a top club.

I don’t hate Walcott but all in all he has failed to live up to his early promise and as such should be moved on, I’m tired of Wenger’s emotional ties to players holding the club back. In 10 years (think on that for a second) he has made incremental improvements as a player if anything and yet he’s still here.

2 Likes

As I said I have no worries with the signing it’s a great one and would sort out that RW that is definitely a problem but the striker issues is more so and I wouldn’t compare us to the likes of Bayern we’re miles away from them with Manzukic or no.

What if I was Theo Walcott Calum…

Sign Mahrez and striker dreams are done boys. If I thought this would be the start of something I’d be happy but this will be the end of the window for us if it happens and I don’t know how to feel about that. Honestly I guess it shouldn’t matter because if we don’t change tactics, training, squad rotation, etc then everything is for nothing.

1 Like

Hazard is more of a wide attacker than pure central playmaker. Ozil is also about 100 percent better than Mata and Gotze as much as I rate them. Ozil is literally the best playmaker in the world and one of the greatest of all time, this shouldn’t even be a debate, and please save me your daily mail ‘he doesn’t score goals argument.’ it’s boring.

1 Like

You conveniently forget all the seasons where he spends hardly anything.

Spending 42m just once does not make him a big spender.
In the last two seasons he has spent an average of around 20m a season on players, that is not the sign of a big spender.

You can find it boring but barring last season he hasn’t been as good for as or as much a match winner as Fabregas was for us. Having a player who can score and assist is more valuable that having 1 who can only do one. And Cesc went for less both times he moved. Albeit we really were shafted by Barce, definitely should have had 50m for him so maybe you’re right. But it is borderline.

Mixed feelings on this one. He’d be a very good addition but I think it might mean no striker coming in. I think I’d rather just sign Icardi or Lacazette.