Riyad Mahrez

I bet this doesn’t happen. I’m already having nightmahrez about us being rejected by two Leicester players in one summer.

13 Likes

https://m.popkey.co/fd66f1/edmbK.gif

Now there’s a depressing thought…

Arsene has long spent amounts which were not even norms in Market.
42m was transfer record for PL at the time; so I don’t understand that stupidity in your post.

People whinning about Wenger being money tight really oust themselves as dumb or purposely blind.

Anyway as for me accepting market value, Never will I ever accept being good at kicking ball being worthy of 40-50m. That’s just stupidity.
Thank goodness I don’t look after finances in football. I would have cringe myself to death.

As I said before, I would laugh at the fucker who complains about high ticket prices. Waiting for first post about ticket prices where I will switch my troll mode.

@Mods why does the gif not load in my tweet I posted?

Jakey…now why did you have to go and start a PUN war…this thread is just going to become a Riyad mess now…

2 Likes

42 million wasn’t even Ozil money at the time, it was an absolute bargain to anyone with eyes in their head and basic interpretation of what makes a good playmaker. He should have been going for 60 plus even back then.

3 Likes

I don’t want to get too excited about this yet, as there only seems to be one source which is Eurosport and that has basically just been repeated on other sites, so lets wait and see,

Mahrez was on my wishlist at the start of the summer. I really wanted us to strengthen on the wing and Mahrez would be the ideal signing - good age, fantastic goal scoring record last season. We still need a striker, BUT in the event we were unable/or didn’t sign a top striker and had to make do with what we’ve got - Mahrez would strengthen us on the wing and personally I’d then be tempted to play Alexis upfront down the middle as a striker alternating with Giroud.

We need Ornstein quickly

Defiently a big upgrade to our squad. He’s not a striker, but I really fucking hope we sign this guy.

Please get this one done Wenger :pray:

£42m was a lot of money still, but it was the circumstances surrounding that transfer which meant he signed him for perhaps less than his actual value. Real HAD to sell to fund the fee paid out for the Bale deal, and this is what Real needed - it was a deadline day deal which meant they didn’t have time to knock us back. We went knocking with a bundle of cash and they took it and run. I still think we done the best bit of business in that transfer window with the signing of Ozil, amazing, and still get goosebumps thinking about how we got such a world class player!

£42m then was good value for one of the best playmakers in the world. We didn’t get a huge bargain, and we certainly didn’t overpay, so that could reasonably be considered to be market value.

Now the market has changed, and £42m no longer is enough to buy you the very best player in the world in any of the attacking positions on the pitch.

That should be pretty easy to understand, and it certainly isn’t stupid. We’ve engaged twice recently and both times you have basically called me stupid, I just don’t see the need or justification for it.

1 Like

Hope he’s signed in time for the USA tour

If we sign anyone else it will either be before we head off to the USA tour or will be a deadline day deal. Lets hope this is real and we get it done quickly…

How?
That was still a time where 30m was a big amount.
Did I not mention Ozil was PL record at the time?

Cavani that very summer went for 53-54m despite being on fire.
Suarez next season went for 60m.
And these are strikers who are always priced more than midfielders.

Heck younger more explosive Hazard was signed for 32m a season before.

What you are suggesting is hindsight but at the time, no one said it was a bargain. It was either well priced or overpaid.

And I also don’t see the need to throw in Wenger in discussion to interact with me.

Football markets are incredibly subjective, and it’s very hard to know what’s good value and bad. We’ll probably have to get near to 50mill if we’re gonna get him though. There’s probably a lot of competition for his signature, and Leicester will be reluctant to sell.

It’s absolutely not hindsight, I’ve followed Ozil since Werder Bremen. Even Wenger himself mentioned it was a steal. Ozil at that time was a 50 plus million pound player I have no doubt in my mind. Yes there are only a handful of players in the world which would command that fee at that time but there are also only a handful of players in the world with the abilities and talent Ozil had/has.

Look let’s just agree to disagree and not derail this glorious thread into a pedantic debate off on some random tangent.

1 Like

Regardless it proves Wenger is not shy to spend.
If he likes the player and said player wants to join, he will pay the amount.

1 Like

What other choices do we have ? Every other player is either over priced or looking to get a better deal out of their club by saying they want to join us .