Riyad Mahrez

Yesss!!

2 Likes

Don’t you dare move this to the player section, without being absolutely 100% certain, with a good source to back it up.

3 Likes

They’d be stupid to sell him and won’t need the money, so this isn’t going to be too easy.

1 Like

Not happening. Angling for a move to a mega club not a big club.

I think he’s waiting for Man City or Barca.

Can’t really him going to Barca this summer though, their signings this year suggest he won’t be needed for atleast another season. Also, as others have stated, if Leicester are going to sell then they’ll want a ‘bidding war’, something that we’ll inevitably lose.

1 Like

Don’t we have a kit release soon? I reckon there will be a big signing for it, don’t know why have a gut feeling they want to surprise us fans. Not sure if it will be Mahrez…imagine if it was someone like Griezmann. No one is linking Griezmann to anywhere and he has a release clause and wenger has always liked him and they did have that big handshake and little hi and bye at the Euros. He must have seen his performances and seen how well him and Giroud work together. Imagine Giroud, Sanchez and Griezmann as a front line because Griezmann can play as a winger or a striker.

The last four comments in this thread are equally as speculative as the story itself.

Wow, what a merry-go-round.

1 Like

Why? I mean maybe it’s just Arsene’s mantra seeping into my bones but surely a club of that stature could always do with the money.

PL win, CL participation, being a PL club. I’m pretty sure they have plenty in the bank to not be dependent on selling their star player (at least for now). Better to keep the good players you have.

Offer Lolcott in the deal and make it happen. I’d be over the moon.

1 Like

If he wants to go to Barca then Arsenal would be a great stepping stone. Who knows, after winning 3 titles in a row, he might decide that Arsenal are enough and he doesn’t need Barca.

The bigger clubs than us have done most of their business, I can’t see anyone really needing someone like him this season, and are huge clubs going to be excited by him in 12 months if he has a good season for a 7th/8th place team?

I noticed SRCJJ has already corrected you on this one - Torres was the record transfer at the time (£50m), not Ozil.

Jakey is right - if you want to buy a great player or a player with great potential, you won’t find any semblance of “value” (or sanity) in today’s market. Unfortunately, the new PL money has fucked prices even more and transfer fees/wages are going to keep spiralling upwards for the indefinite future.

This isn’t Hot UK Deals, you won’t find a fucking 30% discount or some promo code to apply at checkout - you want the best, you pay what it costs. The PL player of the year and a consistent match winner for the title winners is going to cost £40m+ and this shouldn’t be something we are concerned with. So many Arsenal fans act like fucking accountants I swear to god.

If we were buying 2013 Ozil today, he would cost in excess of £65m - there is not a plane/dimension of hell in which Arsene Wenger would spend that today.

8 Likes

It was understandable 8 years ago where it was a balancing act of finish 4th, keep wages low, pay off debt but I really don’t understand why people are still doing it when there is over £150m in the bank.

And as our cash reserves increase, they won’t be spent proportionally. It’s not like we’ll end up with cash reserves of £300m, and then decide great, now it’s time to bid £200m for Messi. We’ll carry on being careful, and our cash reserves will continue to increase. Then people will be outraged when Kroenke thinks well there’s £300m that isn’t ever going to be spent, I might as well have half of it.

2 Likes

Well when you need 3 new players for the past 5 windows and we didn’t get them then the maths adds up I’d say.

3 Likes

I should have caveated what I said with exactly what you’ve written in the first half of your post above.

I get that we were hamstrung financially for many years but now we are not. People will debate about how long we have had money to spend but I can’t be arsed for that conversation again.

The point is, we have money to spend now and when a player is available of Mahrez’ quality (or whoever it might be) then you have to accept that he is going to cost a lot of money, more than the fee you would have agreed on Football Manager 2016 if you were the virtual reality manager of Arsenal Football Club with Dennis Bergkamp as your assistant manager.

1 Like

Major problem is our transfer policy is dictated by a very frugal Wenger. Under the next manager if spending trends and general transfer strategy is the same then we can say it’s a board/ownership problem. I don’t think that will be the case under the next boss

2 Likes

Oh my god. Since i was debating in 2 threads regarding the same debate with posters like Castiel being hostile; i got confused.
I have no issues with 42m on Mahrez as that is the going rate in the market now.
If Arsenal spends that amount, I wouldn’t call it madness.

When i mentioned Ozil money, I was simply bewildered how fucked up the market is now that 42m is considered normal for a player with single season to show for.
@JakeyBoy for some reason(yet to answer me on this) stated that

“like Arsene you need to stop clinging to what constituted value in seasons gone by”

Which i believe is incorrect because only with hindsight do people call Ozil amount a bargain but at the time, it was one of highest paid amount. No one NO ONE called it a bargain at the time.
Which proves that unlike me, Wenger is not using his constituted value while conducting business.

For some reason, everyone got confused & consider this discussion as me saying we shouldn’t spend 42m on Mahrez.

If people could throw their bias against me aside & actually read what i intend to says, I would have had more sleep yesterday.

1 Like

Rumours circulating that Adidas are selling Chelsea ‘Mahrez 7’ shirts.

Yeah I saw that someone took a screen shot of it. They did the same with Mckhtaryian kits a week before he signed for united. I doubt they’d do it twice right?