Reiss Nelson (24)

That’s clearly not what I said lol.

1 Like

Well now the season is effectively done why not

Would you send him on loan after he renews his contract?

No. Loans are bullshit. They basically never work. He will either make it here or he won’t.

1 Like

Bellerin got his break because he was 2nd choice behind Debuchy and there was a path for him to the first team. I also think loans are overrated.

I hope we sell Welbeck in this summer and don’t let him walk for free. Especially not extend him. Then we would have Nelson, Iwobi, Ozil, Mkhitaryan and a new winger for three positions. Nelson will get his minutes.

The same Bellerin who had a great loan spell with Watford?
It was a short loan but good enough to be recalled into Arsenal first team.

I tend to agree if you loan him out to a shit club who play negative football. It could be different with a different club,

1 Like

He wasn’t playing at Watford when he was called back…Debuchy and Chambers got injured. That was when he got his opportunity.

Yeah, totally depends on the club. Loans can be fruitful but yeah, they need to be selected with much care. It would seem that Reine Adelaide for instance is benefitting greatly from his loan to Angers, Wilshere benefitted from his to Bolton too. Ramsey went back on loan at Cardiff too for a bit, didn’t he? I forget how that went, I seem to recall it was beneficial as well. But yeah more often than not they would seem to be failures, especially because Wenger has a penchant for choosing teams in England, and all the things that come along with them (short-sighted relegation battles, poor coaching, poor tactics, poor football).

1 Like

Wilshere didn’t do that at Bournemouth as well. Gnabry was a total failure at WBA, instead.

Actually I think the criticism should be that Wenger doesn’t dictate the where at all. Seems to just let the player go wherever they want. I remember we were both pretty unhappy at the time when Gnabry went to West Brom.

1 Like

Yeah, you might be right. We don’t really have much insight to how this works but I do remember him saying publicly a number of times about young foreign players that they needed to go on loan in England to “adjust to English football”.

1 Like

How did Reiss do today?

Ineffective. Looks way off AMN and Iwobi levels.

his performances when he has played haven’t lived up to the hype.

Feels like he is playing it safe a bit. Dunno

Yeah he had a couple nice moments but left something to be desired especially on the counter. Still he looks lively.

1 Like

saw he got an assist, was a nice ball. how’d he do otherwise? want to see him getting minutes if we aint getting a winger

That low cross for Laca is exactly the kind of shit I wanna see :giroud2:

1 Like

Was a good cross and excellent finish… he didn’t get a lot of time on the pitch, but once we started flooding the right side and getting deep inside channel, we started to have more joy… I would like to see more from him - the last 4-5 performances I have been wanting more and he hasn’t really delivered.

Clearly a talent - hopefully he has his head screwed on right and pushes himself to next level this year.

2 Likes

Yeah there was crazy hype last season and he seemed to do great in the PL2 which we won but his first team appearances were relatively underwhelming.