Olivier Giroud

1 Like

Bring Olly back home.

2 Likes

nope. he’s had his time. we have laca and sir auba

It takes talent to win a WC the way Giroud has lol

7 Likes

What a guy :arteta:

Happy for him, it’s a nice way to crown his career.

Think they should make a film of it tbh, from his amateur days to Montpellier Ligue 1 win, the move to Wenger’s Arsenal and the superstars and trophies, then culminating in a goodbye and a world cup win for Les Bleus.

I’d watch it.

Giroud biopic needed.

1 Like

I’LL HAVE HIM BACK RIGHT NOW! I’LL GO PICK HIM FROM THE AIRPORT MYSELF!

3 Likes

Go to bed !

The only thing i am happy about France. Deserved such a big thing.

The no shots on target thing does make it harder for those of us who often feel inclined to defend him

37179095_2314541218574971_924831876168810496_n

6 Likes

I don’t care if he spent half the tournament laying on the floor ala Neymar, i’ll defend Giroud to the death :blush:

Despite the lack of shots on target, he still plays a pivotal role for France, he does all the dirty work and his off the ball movement was crucial for France at times. Kane scored 6 goals but was pretty shit really. Numbers don’t always tell the full story.

2 Likes

Well, shots or no shots, fact is he played every game for them and the manager chose not to change a winning team. Can’t fault him for that.

It’s also getting harder for his snobbish detractors who spout off in sound bites about him having no link up play or no movement. :smile::see_no_evil:

Obviously they can see something that just frustratingly escapes a total amateur like Didier Deschamps

3 Likes

Quite astonishing that he maintained his place as the CF despite not having a single shot on target. Crazy in fact given the multitude of options that France have in attack.

But clearly his role was to bring Mbappe and Griezmann into play (usually by winning headers), and essentially be the wall for them to bounce passes off.

Happy for him that he has a WC to his name and he certainly contributed to this success.

Would not take him back though as we are now moving in a different direction.

5 Likes

I didn’t see many of France’s matches. to be honest only yesterday’s match…jajaja

Based on yesterday’s match, he didn’t have any chances where he can say he should have scored or had a go there.

Yess Big Ollie G World Cup Winner! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Like many here, I am happy for him for becoming a world cup winner. As for not having a shot on target, having watched almost all of France’s games, you can understand why he struggled to get a shot on target. He was primarily used as someone they could lump the ball up to, who would hold it and pass it to the flanks, or to Griezmann. He was mostly there to distract the defenders and allow the more pacey, creative players to do their thing. He also helped out on defense, winning many headers from corners. So while he didn’t shine as a striker, he played a vital role for Deschamps and I can totally see why he played him in most of the games.

And no, I won’t take him back. He is good as a plan B but I am looking forward to Emery getting the best out of Laca and Auba, both of whom are pacier and have better finishing skills than Giroud.

2 Likes

Giroud’s selfless mentality should really be praised tbh. He played a big part in changing the mentality of this France side. Can you honestly say Benzema would have kept his ego in check and been so selfless? Don’t think so

It’s been explained well here already what Giroud brought to their forward line in enabling the other two forwards. Personally I think he should at least one goal tbh but it’s great that he didn’t let the drought affect his mentality by chasing a goal

Matuidi has no goals or assist despite occupying one of the forward roles. Does it matter? No because he was performing a critical role and doing the dirty work.

Pogba too was much more defensive minded in the 2 man pivot. He stifled alot of his attacking instincts for midfield stability.

Just goes to show the majority of people prefer the flash over the substance in football. That stat is way over sensationalized.

Major credit to Deschamps, obviously a smart International manager who changed this France team for the better, you can’t fluke you’re way to two international finals. He built an effective system and silenced his critics.

9 Likes

lol what? Do you not know what Benzema is about? He’s not only much more ‘selfless’ than Giroud, he’s actually good (or was–in decline now, but still obviously leagues apart from donkey Giroud).

There’s no fluke about having the best talent in the world. Deschamps is a clown, lol, he lost to bloody Portugal on his home soil and can’t elicit decent football out of the best assembly of talent in the world. Just like Löw, or Del Bosque, or Roberto Martínez, he’s someone who would fail miserably at the club level but at international level, he’s, surprise surprise, able to not fuck things up bad enough (though to Deschamps credit, he certainly tries, perhaps more than those last three mentioned :joy:) to allow a great group of talent to win a few game against farmers and then a couple games with a bit of luck to win a final.

The last 3 winning world cup managers dismissed in a post. You are the fucking oracle when it comes to football.

6 Likes

I’ve read a lot of shit but this takes it :rofl: Yeah the manager has zero to claim if you only have talented players. Simple logic for the simple mind.

2 Likes