Olivier Giroud

Thats why he’s a valuable squad player, really needed to put him on around the hour mark today with our 6000 crosses to 5 foot 5 players in the box.

1 Like

MODERATOR EDIT: Generic Robin_L comment with a moderately witty aside pertaining to Giroud’s true value in relation to his perceived quality

5 Likes

Yeah we scored 3 goals directly off of crosses (one a corner) - Ollie got two of them. He is definitely useful against the teams that will sit deeper and deeper against us.

some of the shite he does is just so damn fine, can he please just find consistencyyyyy

If Alexis continues to be the starting CF and Giroud occasionally plays at home against Boro type buses and comes off the bench regularly as he did today, Wenger will have finally found out Giroud’s proper role after 4 years at the club.

3 Likes

I know it’s ‘only’ Sunderland and what not, but this is why I think Giroud is still very useful to Arsenal. At times he fully deserves some of the criterism he gets, but then there at other times his value to the squad is really under appreiciated by the fans.

I’ve said time and time again, he’s not a natural lead striker up front, he’s a support style striker. It was asking a lot for him to perform time and time again when we had little other choice.

Now we have a system where we’re using Alexis more as the main man, but taking some of the pressure off Giroud. We needed a plan B today and we actually had the perfect choice for this game,

I’m happy to persist with Alexis being up front more than Giroud, but Giroud deserves plenty of game time as well. His time at Arsenal is far from over and done with. He could play a vital role as the season develops.

3 Likes

The big man is back! Two really good goals aswell

1 Like

Premier League 2016/17 Goals per minute:

Ibrahimovic 1 goal every 202 minutes

Giroud 1 goal every 38 minutes

True American Hero!! Better than Ibra.

3 Likes

Have no problem with him at all if he’s a ‘super sub’ Saved us today but he should never start

1 Like

I agree.
He is more than adequate as cover, or if we need a goal, and he is on the bench but he isn’t good enough to start for us.
So unless Sanchez proves he is good enough in that position, we still need a top quality striker because Giroud, Walcott and Perez are great as squad players but certainly not good enough to start for a top European club.

Today is the perfect example as to why we need him fit, as he is very useful in certain circumstances.

3 Likes

A perfect illustration of why I have disagreed when people have suggested selling him. He’s got an important role to play, even if someone else is starter.

3 Likes

Well, if we’d signed a striker, you’d have to sell him. As in those who wanted us to sell him were basing it on the idea that we should buy something better. If we had signed, say, morata, with him and Alexis there’d be no room for Giroud, and he’d have to really not give a fuck about his career Gibbs style if he wanted to stay as the 3rd striker.

1 Like

Just at the right time. Well done Olly!

1 Like

If we’d signed Morata we probably wouldn’t have tried Sanchez up top so Giroud would be in the exact same position I reckon.

As for Gibbs hes played 7 times this season and totaled 28, 33 and 41appearances in the three previous seasons. I think hes doing alright career wise tbh.

5 Likes

I’ve always said that Giroud is a perfect plan B striker. For once, he came on as a sub and we adopted a different plan of crossing the ball out from wide. It worked perfectly for Oli.

That’s true, though my position was that of its between Theo and Giroud for the 2nd spot behind the theoretical signing I’d go with Theo. Basically we were just wrong about who would fill that false 9 role and who would move to the wing, but it’s the same really, I saw the pecking order as 1. signing, 2. false 9, 3. Giroud.

Just turns out that Wenger decided to go for it with Alexis which none of us, except for the messiah that is @Trion , could’ve foreseen after that experiment seemed well and truly discarded after the first season, and it’s worked as good or better than any realistic signing really.

1 Like

I appreciate the acknowledgment

2 Likes

No we wouldn’t. Alexis has been a wide player for us until this season, him moving to the centre this season has the same effect on Giroud as if Alexis stayed wide and we bought a striker. Either way Giroud is the first plan B off he bench.

You’d want to sell him. Don’t confuse the two.

1 Like

Read the post above Jakey. :confused: