Olivier Giroud

I agree.
In the PL, pace is not a luxury, it is a necessity, and Giroud lacks the pace, skill and finishing of a top quality striker.

As well as Giroud we have Welbeck and Perez, who are all good, but the best teams require top quality, something we don’t have.

1 Like

People still share this drivel about pace being a necessity in the PL :roll_eyes:

I could list you plenty of people not blessed with pace who had good/great careers in England.

1 Like

Will be good to understand how is good the relationship between Arsène and Giroud. Since his return from the Euro, he has been relegated on the bench despite he played two games with France during the international break.

Is there a real injury problem or maybe he is back in London with not enough motivations and a not good enough condition?

Giroud certainly isn’t one of them.

Good Question. The 15min sub he had last time he was appalling. We’re all about sealing the game, players have run themselves ragged, he comes on and can’t even bother to jog to close a defender down, he just walks around, sits on his arse and grins. No point in saving your energy when we’re 2-0 up and looking to see out the game, I’m sure we didn’t put a striker on in that situation to look for goals but rather to get fresh legs to pressure them in the early stages of their build-up phase?

I don’t know he looked pretty uninterested. I hope it was something else that was the reason. I am hoping he will train to get back to his best (at which he is wasteful but at least ok in a sense). I want healthy competition, Perez is the new guy with some gelling ahead of him, Alexis is currently tearing it up as a striker, Welbz is doing… whatever he does, I hope Giroud rises to the task and don’t just sign out because we have other alternatives now.

Really?

There aren’t many, and the players you could name were probably world class in other areas, like skill and finishing.

Giroud is decent but he is not world class in anything.

1 Like

Missed the big man today. Hope he’s back after the break

We played games like today a lot with the big man upfront.

1 Like

If anything the game was made for him to come in the last 20 minutes. Similar to the Soton game.

4 Likes

Yeah I must admit i was annoyed thinking him coming on in the second half wasn’t an option,

Sure. No doubt. But the pretext he’ll improve our overall game play in these kind of games is a bit overrated imo. And the ‘battering-ram tactic’ will not always work.

I kept thinking the same. We weren’t able to break down their bus and it would have been really nice to have Giroud in there battling for the balls we were sending into the box as a last result. Fortunately Theo is a bad ass.

The revisionism in this thread is startling.

Giroud “finished at Arsenal” ? Give your heads a shake :joy:

Important player and will prove so once again this season.

4 Likes

He is pretty shit doh.

Giroud not starting and us having an excellent run have everything in common

1 Like

Giroud not being available as our go-to alternative and us running out of ideas against Boro also have everything in common.

Would have and needed to come on today around 65-70 minutes, would’ve made a few things stick and increased the chances for the 3 points. Sanchez back out to the left.

That said, Perez looked lively, but he’s a replacement rather than something different.

5 Likes

I think that the fact we are talking about Giroud being a good option in games where we are desperate for a goal, shows how poor are striking options are.
Perez looked ok, Giroud is ok and Walcott os ok.

We don’t need ok, we need and deserve better than that.

1 Like

Dont think anyones argued against the fact Giroud is a good ‘Plan B’ option. Could have done with it against Burnley too. Just a massive no on starting for me.

1 Like

Giroud is a definitely regular starter under a manager who favours effective squad management through rotation and tactical pluralism. Certainly isn’t a 20min plan B option

I said before the start of the season we have to smart if we want to the title.