Myanmar

What’s your take on Aung San Suu Kyi and the perpetual conflict in the Rakhine State?

Holy shit Hass you’re going to have to fill me in a little on this topic what is this about?

1 Like

Tens of thousands of the Rohingya community in the Rakhine State of Myanmar are fleeing from atrocities against them by the Myanmar security forces. An untold number tortured, raped and murdered.

While violence has been well documented on both sides, the UN has reported the ongoing situation as tantamount to ethnic cleansing. Many are considering this an active genocide and the bodies are piling up. The majority Buddhist Burmese population seem firmly of the belief that the Rohingya are a propaganda machine against them. The blame has been squarely placed on the minority Rohingya Muslims and alleged terrorists deemed to be among them. This conflict extends back before pre-colonial times but this is perhaps the most the issue has been in the media before.

The UN have previously reported that the Rohingya are the most persecuted community in the world. Meanwhile the country’s de facto leader, hailed freedom fighter and nobel peace prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi who already led a seismic shift in Burma before against military rule, is being widely criticised by the international community for her apparent distancing from the issue.

Of course the reasons for her action, inaction and choices are a matter of opinion. I personally think so far she has chosen the “stability” of not offending the majority Burmese than have the country turn on her in her de facto position and perhaps lead to military rule once again. I know many others consider her entirely complicit in the persecution.

Hope that gives you a brief overview mate, it’s crazy from all angles.

3 Likes

What is the point of the Fckn UN seriously if they cannot actually be the World Police that is needed. It seems like we we need an armed force that could be sent into countries like this in order to stop all this killing and murdering. Why the fck can’t we just live in peace.

I see Bangladesh have agreed to accept 700,000 refugees from Myanmar.

Fucking disgusting that shit like this still happens, I’ve been lucky enough to spend some time in Myanmar/Burma and it’s such a beautiful country with some of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.

1 Like

Is that so, eh?

1 Like

Is that meant to be on the Tory thread or something?

LMAO

What am I missing here?

I didn’t get it until I clicked the picture.

May and Marr :slight_smile:

Technically it’s Marr and May because we read left to right in English

U wot m8

1 Like

Yep, this tickled my OCD somewhat. Nice try though JakeyLad :gunnersaurus:

1 Like

Ladies first though innit.

Ohhhhhhh… hah