Mesut Özil

I actually think Özil will sign a new contract. While all this Sanchez gossip has been happening it’s been relatively quiet in the Özil camp. Perhaps there isn’t a lot of interest in him. But he seems happy enough here anyway, and definitely more involved with his team mates than Sanchez on a social level. It might just be a salary issue as to why he hasn’t signed yet. But I can definitely see him putting pen to paper at some point.

1 Like

He’ll sign - once all those Madrid/Farcelona/Juventus rumours go away I expect (:roll_eyes:) - but he should be in no rush to do so, wait to see how we perform as a club first. If I were him I’d look to make my final decision in November/December time

I think if he hasn’t signed a contract by the beginning of the January window he won’t sign a new contract at all. Once it becomes clear that Özil could become a free agent he’ll have plenty of offers coming his way, even from clubs that we don’t expect right now.

Also Özil will be looking to win a couple more league titles or even the Champions League before he retires.

3 Likes

Perhaps not, but at this point playing the waiting game is just in his best interest.

2 Likes

Yeah, really have to wonder what we’re doing there…you would think, with it being obvious Alexis will not sign a new contract, that we’d then have even more urgency to finish the Özil deal.

On another note, from the highlights he looked very involved and, well, very Özil on Friday…did he play well? Hopefully a return to form for him this season after last season’s general lethargy.

Ozil was as ring-rusty on Friday as I’ve ever seen him.

3 Likes

Nah he had a lot of sloppy un Ozil like passes if I’m being honest, he was ok but I wouldn’t say he played well.

1 Like

Ah, ok, thanks guys, highlights can be misleading as we know.

1 Like

The fact he still hasn’t signed a contract probably means he’s off depending on the size of offers that come in for him. If United/City/Barce/Real/PSG/Bayern want him he’s theirs. It’s now not just wages we have to match but signing on fee. Other teams we should be able to outbid.

The way he’s playing right now might not justify those clubs going in for him.

I’m sure we have, but it makes no sense for him to sign now, whereas it makes perfect sense for him to wait longer before signing a new deal.

To be fair, the game overall was incredibly sloppy… neither team had any stability and several players had seriously worrying performances (Holding, Bellerin, Cech) and a couple had suicidal Arsenal moments (Mo, Xhaka)… thankfully LC didn’t have any defensive organization themselves and we scored enough.

Giroud’s goal deserves special mention - that was an insanely hard and impressive header, snapping his neck that way, being pushed and struggling against defender and managing to find the corner and underside of the bar, giving the GK no chance - it was hardly mentioned, but was a great header goal.

Premier League is really odd to me again - seems like the art of defending (individually and as a team) has taken a step back - maybe managers like Mou have over-tactified the sit-back and countering model to the point where people don’t know how to defend any more other than through stifling numbers… the amount of ridiculous mistakes and goals the first week (yeah it was the first week, so could just be that) was crazy and it seems a continuation of trend last couple of years.

2 Likes

Awful first half

1 Like

if these cunts dont want to be here just fuck off already

1 Like

Been pretty poo so far.

He needs to wake the fuck up FFS!

playing like he cant be bothered, that is our biggest problem having always a couple of stragglers then we are literally playing with 9 men etc.

1 Like

The best will come from him soon, once he realises how good a thing it is to be on the last year of his contract, he’ll be peak Madrid Oezil.

1 Like

Hunger index level gonna be over 9000.

8 Likes

I didn’t realise how crap he was today tbh. Watching the post-match analysis and the misplaced passes and turnovers were a joke. After the first two games of the season I think we can see he’s not doing his job at the moment.

2 Likes

If he has a really poor season then I’d love to know where he thinks he can walk to on a free.

Yes he’s Mesut Ozil but sorry, his star is on the wane right now. You don’t have to subscribe to the idiot school of “he doesn’t run around enough” to criticise Ozil, you can just see what he’s doing or not doing WITH the ball at the moment to see he’s out of form

2 Likes