Mesut Özil

Agreed with all AC’s points. No playmaker in the world is making an impact with zero support. No such thing as grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck. Everything is conditioned for utilisation. Not saying Özil didn’t have a bad game, but I am saying it was inevitable that he would under such a dire system and failure of team performance around him. The manager again has proven he’s just not intelligent enough to counteract his rivals strategy in this era. Özil will not be here for much longer.

1 Like

Agreed, this is why other surrounding players have to step up when this happens. I think Santi would have had a field day with all the attention on Ozil. IIRC City did this to us and Santi ended up having one of his best ever games.

Or not when you look at the PSG game where Cazorla was run of the pitch.

Honestly Cazorla has had more than his fair share of bad games. Armchair managers are wrong to assume that their alternative stategy would work simply because Wenger’s didn’t.

1 Like

Ya know I’m not sure how much stock to put into this. I think it’s more an issue of over analysation from arm chair managers and keyboard warriors, who really honestly have no fucking clue how the management and players prepare for a match like this. Wasn’t it reported Özil wants assurances Arsene will be sticking around before he signs on long term?

1 Like

So we should all stay quiet while Wenger is consistently out-managed by our rival?

Because after one failed title run after another, after repeatedly falling short in Europe and after repeated shameful displays like the 6-0, the 8-2 or 3-2 at OT last season, It’s not the “armchair managers and the keyboard warriors” who have shown themselves as having no fucking clue.

5 Likes

Get sampaoli

No go ahead and talk as much as you like, just don’t act like you know the ins and outs of the business and be so smug about your opinion when in reality you’ve got no clue. Besides, that kinda stuff happens when you’ve managed for 20 years. Pep has already been out managed and he’s only been in the PL for 12 matches, and Wenger’s supposedly shit tactics took apart the league leaders a couple weeks ago. Lol I think it’s hilarious when members of a forum sit here and criticize the guy but the world class Mesut Özil must be a moron because he wants to play for him. I’m sure everyone on OA knows a lot more than that dumb German guy though. I think it’s telling that a lot of past and present players love Wenger and admire him.

3 Likes

How are you doing anything different to what you’re complaining about by going on as if you know the thoughts of Mesut Ozil?

1 Like

Ozil’s situation is 50/50 I think. He might enjoy life in London, being the absolute superstar and having less pressure that with a good offer he will sign. The fact that he would not win the Premiership or Champions League might be of less importance for him. I hope.

1 Like

Yeah I think thats possible regarding Ozil but I still think its more likely he will leave than stay, Sanchez Im pretty sure will be on the way out unless we show things we haven’t shown in a decade be it in Europe or the league.

What, going 12 years without winning a title and making fuck all improvement with a club happens if you manage for 20 year? :confused:

You really don’t have to know the ins and outs of the business to see that Wenger isn’t a good manager at this point. It’s obvious to everyone but you and Trion. I’m not sure where knowing the ins and outs of the business comes in, tbh. Knowing a bit about football suffices.

Re: Özil a) you’re clinging onto one flimsy source b) I wouldn’t want to use such a strong word as ‘moron’ with a beautiful savant like Mesut but let’s just say being a footballer and being a moron is not incompatible at all, in fact they go along quite well. Plenty of footballers have enjoyed playing under Wenger/liked Wenger, and plenty will as long as he’s around. He’s a lovely man who clearly knows how to treat his players/other human beings well. Sadly that doesn’t make up for his numerous defects as a manager at this point.

1 Like

For about 9 of those years he had severe financial restrictions that no manager would of won the league with. No manager has won the league with a negative net spend for a decade, hasn’t happened.

1 Like

With how 10/11 and 15/16 went down and how we perform in certain games it’s fair to say it’s more than just money at this point.

Why both squads had key weaknesses, defensive/goalkeeper in 10/11 and midfield/striker in 15/16. If the money was splashed both problems could have been solved.

Those squads were more than good enough to get more out of those seasons than we did, simply because other clubs were underperforming (Chelsea in 10/11 and everybody in 15/16). For example; in 10/11 we were 2nd with 6 games to go, we collapsed and finished 4th… A meltdown like that and not being able to handle the pressure is more than just money.

Having bad results happens, Pep losing 2 nil to Tottenham or getting spanked by Barca is proof. I’ll admit Pep is probably the best manager out there and he’s susceptible to hidings by other managers as well. After last year I’ve made it a point to defend Wenger a lot less, and yes there’s definitely something missing in his management, however it’s a lazy attacking him saying it’s tactics.

And yeah you have to pretty much ignore the context of the last 10+ years to have a go at him about the clubs situation, but go ahead that doesn’t stop everyone else. It doesn’t make what you say necessarily true but have your fun. It reminds me a lot of the video where Piers Morgan is attacking Wenger as if he knows fuck all and then you’ve got two legends of the game sitting there defending Wenger because they actually have intimate knowledge of the game.

Thanks for being the guy to reply to that by the way Cuellar. You really make my point about armchair managers being smug about their knowledge of the game. You are the perfect example because you argued with these types for years about Wenger being great and now you’ve joined the other side, but act as if you started the Wenger out movement, lmao couldn’t be a better example of what I’m speaking to :joy:

1 Like

Not going to put my thoughts on this because I already have done.

lol wtf do I have to do with Piers Morgan? And I don’t know what club legends you’re referring to but we’ve got loads of 'em, and some of them (Paul Merson for example), are very much on the other side. Anyways, you prove nothing by deferring to ex-footballers except that you’re reaching terribly…loads of ex-footballers are terrible pundits/have rather terrible opinions. I shouldn’t even have to start mentioning them but we can start with practically any British football pundit. Even the best failed miserably at Valencia.

My defending Wenger for so long should prove how much I love the man, and how badly I wanted to believe that he was a good manager, and thus how obvious it must be that he isn’t for me to not be able to support him.

Your first paragraph I don’t even know who/what you’re responding to, it wouldn’t seem to be my post.

If it’s not tactics than what is? He has worked with a variety of players in the past 6 seasons and the same flaws are still there.

Players can love him for his interaction with them, man-management etc., but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any (structural) flaws in his tactics.

Surely your then concerned how we are no closer to the Title now than we were 3 years ago then ? Despite the squad being stronger on paper the results aren’t really improving.