Mesut Özil

IMO there is no ‘going rate’ in football. How do you determine a fair value given what Bale or Ronaldo now make?

Is the player in question as good as Bale or Ronaldo, and as marketable?

Yes: Pay them a similar amount.
No: Pay them less.

2 Likes

The going rate is what someone is willing to pay them.

We pay astronomical wages to average players like Walcott, Ramsey, Chamberlain etc, so we should pay our best players far more.

Walcott, Ramsey and Chamberlain probably earn 300k a week between them, so if we had to choose between those three or paying him the same to Ozil, I know what most people would have.

Ozil and Sanchez are the only players we have that could be described as match winners.
We need more of them, not fewer, so pay them what they deserve, and get a top quality striker while you’re at it, then they might both stay here.

I can guarantee if we don’t, someone else will.

I still don’t understand what the going rate really is.

Hulk gets approx £300k a week.
Pelle gets approx £300k a week.
Schweinsteiger gets approx £200k a week.

We talk about wasting money here but come on. Wages in football are absurdly unstructured.

Edit: Pogba is on £290k!!! How do you determine Ozil based on that?

Right now, they may not look like one, but if their intention is to win it all, and build around Ozil, they will spend without any hesitation.
They already have some good wide players, good CM/DM, WC keeper… just need to get a better striker (Rashford is not ready) and a CB, with Ozil, they are a contender.

Those players are only worth that because they are playing for clubs that wouldn’t be able to attract those sort of players, unless they paid massive wages.

I players wages are determined by what a club is willing to pay.

So if we have to p[ay 300k a week to keep Ozil, and no other club is willing to match that, then that’s what he is worth,
If another club offer, say, 350k a week, then that’s what he is worth, and he will go there, if he chooses.

Simply we have to match what other top clubs are going to offer Ozil, if we do that then United shouldn’t be much of a problem because in the short term they aren’t really much more chance of success than us if any tbh. If someone like Bayern comes in for him then we are in serious trouble as he’d be winning the German League every year + Competing for the CL title every season.

Marco Verratti:

"I am not worth €100m. We are just playing football. These amounts of money make me laugh. No one is worth that much." pic.twitter.com/CNXsXBIAHT

— Messi Minutes (@MessiMinutes) November 10, 2016

Marco Verratti:

"...And I think it is also bad for the players for whom such fees are paid because people expect impossible things." pic.twitter.com/56qUXtD7oN

— Messi Minutes (@MessiMinutes) November 10, 2016
1 Like

Clever fucker just raised his value £10m.

1 Like

He’s bought a new house in London :slight_smile: surely set to stay now?

2 Likes

He’s been ripped off look at that rug curled at the corner there. Fucking shambles.

12 Likes

He actually makes so much money it’s insane. Buying a house means abaolutely sod all. I wish papers were about actual news, and swerved all this gossipy bollocks.

1 Like

Like something from a poxy JML advert.

I bet they’ve got a fucking billy book case in the main bedroom too.

Well on his current wage that’s just under two years earnings. Sounds like nothing but for a footballer that’s a long time though in all honesty he’ll make money on top of it when he sells.

Is there really a great market for exorbitantly priced suburban eyesores like that? I imagine they just transfer between footballers and bad television celebrities.

That house is almost certainly not a suburban eyesore lol

Isn’t it? With £10m I promise you I can found a much prettier house in the suburbs of London.

Highgate isn’t the suburbs

Alright I’m talking shit then, wtf do I know about London? apologies, and I’m glad to believe that Özil is just an all-around aesthetic genius (his appreciation for Ronaldo’s vulgarity excepting).

1 Like

Mate if you add that and Russian Oligarchs and Arab Sheikhs who buy them as summer houses then there is a market, yes?

Quite a big one these days too cos nobody else can afford a house in London.