Mesut Özil

Not that I trust all the reports but as per them, Bayern were allowed to negotiate personal terms with Sanchez but they couldn’t match his expectations.

I don’t get this. If this were the case, every player would take this route.
Players get sign on fees even for contract extension plus the huge sign on fees for signing a fresh contract will only augment the loss of wages Ozil had because he was on inferior contract.

To elaborate, Ozil if he is earning 180k atm. Had he signed the contract 18months ago for wages say 250k, Ozil would have earned 70k per week more. That’s around 5m of wages he compromised.
Add another 3.3m for this season.

Any sign on fees, he is going to get from other clubs, has to be upwards of 8-9m for it to make sense.
Not including agent fees.

Do footballers get such amount from non-sugar daddy clubs?

It’s true but if a player has more than a season to run on his contract and the player refuses to sign an extension, then the club would just sell him to the highest bidder.
Also an ambitious player that is interested in trophies rather than money is more likely to go to an ambitious club than sit around waiting for his contract to run down.

The sort of signing on fee players like Ozil and Sanchez are going to get, just for staying here this season, make it worthwhile.

How this situation has come about, with Ozil and Sanchez, just illustrates the ineptitude of the club when it comes to contracts and transfers.

To lose one world class player for nothing is bad enough.
To lose two in the same transfer window makes us a laughing stock.

I don’t see any club care whether they’re paying a football club or a football player for the services the footballer offers. Messi’s contract is up next summer, he’s so far not signed a 600k a week contract.

Ibrah was on something like 500-600k according to a leak and a large proportion of that would have been his signing on fee being paid weekly. That would amount to over 25m a year but now he’s having to offset that against the fact he has no income because he’s got injured.

From a players perspective it makes sense to run down a contract. They could lose out if they get injured or their form drops.

1 Like

Didn’t he say something like when he got back and the season started they would keep contract talks? Ozil’s PR-machine full at work at the time.

Just to keep our fans quiet :wink:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Manchester United thread

Wonder if he’s back on monday.

Edit: ffs what an awful instagram embed. This is basically just a pic of ozil showing a thumb. No context

Edit 2:

2 Likes

I wish he’d write his own Instagram posts :eyes:

We’ve all been petrified about seeing Sanchez in a City shirt, yet in the end he’ll probably go abroad and we’ll instead be looking at Ozil in a United shirt :grimacing:

1 Like

It doesn’t bother me to much where our players end up anymore, as long as Stan and Wenger and our current board are in place whatever happens with player movement means very little.

3 Likes

Ffs

I would probably cry.

Though I wouldn’t take that rumour too seriously. Since I’ve woken up I’ve also seen reports that next year United are signing Griezmann, Alli and Dybala. Yeah OK.

1 Like

I think Mesut holds some decorum when it comes to Wenger in particular, no matter how one would judge Arsene’s management of the squad since 14/15? Or more, I would like to think so! He seems a rather humble person and going to a direct rival (heh), particularly Mourinho, would ruin his Arsenal reputation.

Whether he cares that much is speculative but I like to hold some hope :man_shrugging:

Clearly Özil and Mourinho get on well. He utilised him perfectly at Madrid too (Bit easier doing that with Cristiano and Di Maria in front of him). I think he’ll leave on a free, and it really wouldn’t surprise me if United moved heaven and earth to persuade him to join them over any other club. The Mounriho factor could actually be quite big

This is exactly the reason I didn’t want to let either Ozil or Sanchez run down their contracts.

The way we do business involving transfers and contracts is an absolute shambles.

If you didn’t know better, you’d think it was done on purpose.

1 Like

Of course, him and Mourinho gets along so well and the cunt would probably get the best out of him.

Imagine if we lose both Sanchez and Ozil to the Manc clubs haha

1 Like

Losing both to our rivals is bad enough, but losing them to our rivals for nothing is unacceptable.

We will lose our only world class players and they will go to strengthen our rivals even further.

I really don’t think Wenger has thought this through.

2 Likes

Like we had a choice, we’ve been offering contracts for years now, this was always their plan. Get a move with a huge signing on fee and 300k a week while having a better chance of winning silverwear. You can either sell like we did with Nasri/RVP or keep them longer and get more out of them. It’s been pretty obvious both were off for a long time now.

I’m not that fussed about either. Ozil hasn’t looked like he wanted to be here for the majority of his and was good for about one 6 month period. Alexis has constantly played selfish football and destroyed team play. They’ll also both be 29 and heading past their primes on huge contracts.