Lucas Perez (Transfer complete)

:facepalm:

But £29M is still alot of money even in this market. We don’t know how far negoation went after that, apparently £40M would have got him? There some players you should pay over the odds for Laca isn’t one of them

I agree with you. If we can’t get a world class player we should be looking for a striker with different qualities to Giroud, so we can alternate which one we select based on form or opposition, and so we can have them on the pitch at the same time and not have them trying to do the same thing because they are similar players.

I was just having some fun with the idea that it’s as simple as adding 16 and 17 and boom, 33 goals guaranteed. As well as getting a little sly one in at Wenger too :wenger2:

1 Like

In a market where Troy Deeney is touted at £30mil not quite.

Lacazette has improved year on year since his breakthrough and will most likely have his best season this year, I have little doubt he would have excelled here and on that basis yes he is a player you would pay more than the going rate which is arbitrary anyway.

And I see you’re back to this “rotating” striker thing which just doesn’t fly at top clubs, it’s not exactly guaranteed a striker can just come in after being on the bench for numerous games and flick a switch to be ‘on’ which is why it’s not viable.

2 Likes

People are complaining about him because he only cost 20m? Really? I can come up with a ton of examples but most recently Mahrez for 400k and Kante for 5m should kind of dispell this whole idea that we have to spend upwards of 50m to get a competent player.

5 Likes

It’s much more than the fee than people aren’t entirely happy with but I’m really not surprised that’s all you see.

3 Likes

Here’s a thought maybe Wenger rated Lacazette and Perez at similar levels. Laca is a couple of years younger so worth a little more but not 3 times the price being touted. It’s like when the price for Higuain was raised, Wenger went for Suarez. Bid for Cahill couldn’t get him for less than 18m, went for Mertesacker for 6m.

The market within England is completely different to the market interactions between english clubs and clubs aboard. You can still extract good value for players from foreign clubs imo. With all this talk of Laca being seen as the central figure for Lyon, I doubt £40M would have been enough to get him here.

Also there are valid question marks as to how well he’d do for us. I can’t see him hitting 30 league goals for Arsenal. His league goal return would have to be in the very high twenties to justify the massive outlay but we’ll never know now. Batshuayi would have been a very sensible investment, we should have gone for him really, the whole transfer situation would have been better than dealing with Aulas and his BS

You see it at most top clubs because they usually have an established striker. In Arsenal situation what is the best way to negate the lack of world class striker?

You have to be smart about it and rotate effectively with the emphasise being on if I start Giroud at home against a team siting deep the match will suit Giroud strengths more and he is more likely to score as a result whereas if we’re away and they’ll be counter attacking opportunities the match will suit someone with pace.

Competition, pluralism and rotation is the best way we can negate not have a world class striker. Sadly we don’t have a manager who favours pluralism or rotation

Similar levels based one what? Reality or?

Why bid for both Lacazette and Vardy in the first place, what’s Lucas Perez fifth choice? Perhaps not even that, they heard he was earmarked by Steve Walsh for Everton and thought, “yeah he’ll do”.

I know you’re high on the player but you can’t try and sell me that.

He hasn’t improved year on year though, he wasn’t as good last year as the year prior. The year prior his goal total included loads of penalties. I’m not sure he does better than Perez here. Perez has pace, dribbling, movement and over Laca, while Laca has a better shot on him and looks stronger. Both have good link up play.

As for the price, it would be 2 or 3 times that without the clause. Depor don’t want to sell.

So after patronising me you listed the most obvious player ever in Ian Wright and some examples that don’t fit the bill. Nice job.

Simple fact is he will be going well against the grain if he even holds his own here let alone be a successful signing.

1 Like

Actually he has improved year on year.

Very good article on him is here http://statsbomb.com/2016/07/who-is-alexander-lacazette-and-should-arsenal-spend-40m-on-him/

Also Lacazette is a dribbler, two footed and with pace as well. You’re not really showing any objectivity here tbh.

2 Likes

Based on my personal judgement from watching them. I don’t think most the people complaining have seen much of Perez. Like I say I’ve wishlisted him on this forum when everyone was on about garbage men like Lukaku and I reckon he’s on par with Vardy/Laca yes.

That’s fair enough, he’s a late bloomer so who knows how he’ll get on with the players we have here. But fortune isn’t exactly in his favour being on the cusp of 28.

But the suggestion that Wenger may have rated them at a similar levels is just not feasible.

I think everyone feels it would be nice to have a different option to Giroud but in reality you really want that one powerhouse striker that can drag you to the league title, someone that when you go into the six pointers the other team are afraid off.

I think what has me a little meh about this signing is that he probably isn’t going to bench Giroud and everything will very much be the status quo with the club this season.

1 Like

You initially asked for ‘any 27yo’ did you not? Plenty of late developers in all sports. If he plays as well as he did this season he’ll do well here, if his level drops he won’t.

Has anyone in this thread actually watched this bloke play?

2 Likes

No.

Are we sure he’s even is a real player?

5 Likes

I thought we were talking about an FM re-gen… We aren’t?

2 Likes